View Poll Results: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?
Yes 63 70.79%
No 6 6.74%
Sometimes 20 22.47%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #31
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

I dunno if any of you took this post the wrong way... it's hard to read posts though & judge emotion, etc. I'm just curious if other people let their kids watch or have some of the problems I do. And DS is 2 so we're not faced w/him going to school or learning these things yet. I'm not concerned w/minor things but DS is only 2 and saying things like erotic and told someone to stop their *****ing... I thought that was a little off color for his age.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'll leave my post alone now. It seems like people can't say anything anymore. Thanks for those that contacted me off the board to tell me that you thought my OP was out of line though... sorry to have bothered people.

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #32
monkeytoesmama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMer
Shrek, they have watched like twice, but then I saw the prince get (and make obvious his "discomfort") an erection when he is look at Fiona through the magic mirror

Madagascar, well, we let them watch it once, until the Zebra spelled out Sugar Honey Iced Tea. I mean come on, how hard do you want a curse word put into your cartoon for kids without parents "noticing"?
I've watched Shrek probably a dozen times and never noticed that. And Madagascar a few times and didn't get it, either (the first time we saw it was at church!). I guess I don't worry about my kids picking that stuff up if I don't.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #33
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
I dunno if any of you took this post the wrong way... it's hard to read posts though & judge emotion, etc. I'm just curious if other people let their kids watch or have some of the problems I do. And DS is 2 so we're not faced w/him going to school or learning these things yet. I'm not concerned w/minor things but DS is only 2 and saying things like erotic and told someone to stop their *****ing... I thought that was a little off color for his age.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'll leave my post alone now. It seems like people can't say anything anymore. Thanks for those that contacted me off the board to tell me that you thought my OP was out of line though... sorry to have bothered people.
I'm hoping I read this right...and just want to say that I don't think your OP was out of line in any way...and it's pretty sad when we can't even discuss movies without someone feeling the DISCUSSION is inappropriate (out of line)?

Ugh - i had more to say but decided to delete it....I just wanted to let you know that not everyone feels the thread was out of line.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #34
shaykismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma

Wow, I didn't think your post was out of line at all. I thought this was a great poll. It was actually only a week ago that I was watching Antz with my 3-year-old and I was quite disgusted and surprised at some of the phrases they put in there.

It seems like people have been a bit touchy lately around here.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #35
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea
What movies had these words in them? We have quite a few Disney movies and I've never heard these words. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention! Please let me know so I can remove them from our collection if we have them

There are a couple of shows on Disney Channel we don't allow either. One day I was wathing the Proud Family with Emily and one of the girls called the other a bee-yotch! My mouth about his the floor! We no longer watch that show
Sexy was in Shrek 2 I did catch that one, and I am curious too on the others....was lust in Shrek 2 also? That weird Fairy Godmother in shrek 2 was just awful, she was singing about her son being sexy or something....ick

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #36
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaykismama
Wow, I didn't think your post was out of line at all. I thought this was a great poll. It was actually only a week ago that I was watching Antz with my 3-year-old and I was quite disgusted and surprised at some of the phrases they put in there.

It seems like people have been a bit touchy lately around here.
No, I did not think this post was out of line either. But have noticed touchiness, I posted some jokes last night then was like....oh man, hope they don't offend anyone!!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #37
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I can't believe people contacted you and told you you were out of line! That's probably because they are avid Disney watchers and don't feel like you should have any right to say otherwise.
I've had people contact mods I don't know how many times because of things I've said. Don't let them dictate what you say!

Sorry for going OT.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #38
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, my kids watch them. I highly recommend getting a TV Guardian. You can hook it up to your VCR/TV/DVD and it has different levels of "guarding" that you can set it on. My Inlaw's won't even let something say God...it bleeps it out(acually it puts new clean words on the bottom). IT won't say Gay, Sex/lust, or any cuss words. We miss the whole part of the song when Donkey and shrek are fighting the gaurds to see who can defeat the ogre. Also on Jungle Book it won't say "Prick" when Moglee and Baloo are singing about Prickly pears...its extreme! But worth it!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #39
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Yes, my kiddo's watch them.
I will add specifics. I let my children watch the ones I have already previewed and find acceptable.
The Incredibles
Lady and the Tramp
Shrek and Shrek 2
Land before time
Barney
veggietales
Bluesclues
Superman
Harry Potter moves
Madagascar

Last edited by Shaineinok; 07-29-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #40
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
That's probably because they are avid Disney watchers, and don't feel like you should have any right to say otherwise.
Actually, I'm fine with Disney/Pixar (some of my kids favorite movies actually) and I didn't think anything she said was out of line at all.

(Now the next part isn't toward fiveblessings, but to the people who felt it was 'out of line', everybody, or just whoever)

I don't understand why grown women can't agree to disagree? Some of us think Disney is ok, some of us don't....what's the big deal? Our soldiers are out fighting for peace in the Middle East....a pyschopath is on trial for killing her 5 children....and we're all getting our panties in a wad because of Disney? I mean, come on ladies It's a fact of life. We all do things differently...but it doesn't mean that we love our children any less...or are better/worse parents...it's all different and what's right for our children. Just like the AP topic the other day....or babywearing vs nonbabywearing...vaxing vs nonvaxing...

I weigh what I feel my son can handle and what he can't...and what I'm comfortable with, and what I'm not..and I make decisions from there...from Disney, to diapers, to vaxing, to discipline....it's all part of being a parent To be completely honest & I know I'm WAY against the grain here, and I'll probably get flamed, but! - my 2.5yo watches King of the Hill...and Simpsons...he's also watched Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St. He doesn't have a potty mouth, he doesn't have bad dreams, and he doesn't run around with a mask or a knife-glove killing people. If he were affected by these things, I wouldn't allow them...but he's not. He knows they're fake. He also watches Dora, Blues Clues, and Sesame Street. Because he's seen those horror movies or watches those cartoons geared more for adults...I'm sure many of you think I'm a horrible mom....but he's a great kid...sensitive and caring, really smart and sharp-witted. I've obviously done something right. It's what works in our family, and it works great.

So, there we go...my ...flame away

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 07-29-2006 at 02:05 PM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote