View Poll Results: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?
Yes 63 70.79%
No 6 6.74%
Sometimes 20 22.47%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #41
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Do you let your kids watch Disney/Pixar movies?

hey don't quote me if you're going to cut my sentence in half!

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #42
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, I apologize...all I was saying was that I'd say I'm an avid disney watcher, but agree that nothing was out of line...I wasn't attacking you, just wanting to clarify my position. I didn't feel like the rest of the sentence was pertinent to what I was saying.

I fixed it.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #43
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The only movies my kids have seen are: Bambi (once), Cinderella, Lion King (not the whole thing though), Finding Nemo (again, not the whole thing), and I think that's it. It will be a while before they're allowed to watch anything "older" like Shrek or Incredibles.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #44
monkeytoesmama
Registered Users

um, I don't know what to say. This was supposed to be my drama-free board. I'm sorry to the op...I don't understand what was out of line. I appreciate this thread because we love Disney/Pixar and are TV addicts, but I obviously don't pay enough attention and will start doing so...even if I don't restrict my kids from watching, I should at least monitor it to know what they're taking in!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #45
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

I'm always more afraid of the violence factor than the language. I'm not worried it will make my son grow up violent or anything, I'm more worried that it will scare him. But then again, my son has developmental concerns so we're not sure what he gets and what he doesn't. So when you say to him, "Oh, it's just pretend" or whatever, there's no guarantee that he's understanding that.

The language DOES surprise me, though, I won't lie. I think it's an attempt to get a larger audience which includes grown-ups; a larger demographic will mean bigger sales and more frequent viewings. I know my DH loves to watch The Incredibles. (I liked it but I shudder when my DS watches it! It is scary. I never know if I should make a fuss about it to DH or not.)

This is a tough call. It's definitely a very individual thing. For the record, my DS watches only select videos usually: Sesame Street, Blues Clues, Baby Einstein and some movies. He doesn't really watch TV cartoons or anything like that.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #46
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Yes, my kids watch them. I highly recommend getting a TV Guardian. You can hook it up to your VCR/TV/DVD and it has different levels of "guarding" that you can set it on. My Inlaw's won't even let something say God...it bleeps it out(acually it puts new clean words on the bottom). IT won't say Gay, Sex/lust, or any cuss words. We miss the whole part of the song when Donkey and shrek are fighting the gaurds to see who can defeat the ogre. Also on Jungle Book it won't say "Prick" when Moglee and Baloo are singing about Prickly pears...its extreme! But worth it!
Where do you get this? Cost? Just curious.

TY
Old 07-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #47
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they sell them at christian bookstores and thats all i know, we had one. it doesnt cut out words in generral, but whole sentences containing the word, its very interesting watching xxx (not ****, the movie with vin diesel lol) with it on, know how rthe senators car he steals is named richard? it cuts out the whole sequence there, etc...
i dunno what happened to it though, its not on the tv anymore!!
like i said, i mean im 19 and theres a lot of "kids" stuff that really makes me uncomfortable, cartoon network and toondisney are totally blocked here on the tv in the livng room though thomas is much more into cartoons than ive ever been, and makews me unblock some stuff sometimes, he doesnt know the code LOL. but like i really cringe at some of these shows, i cant believe people watch them and theyre popular, a lot are mindless "entertainment" and i dont get it. i wont go into it really since what im really talking about now isnt disney, pixar or otherwise, just tv shows but...i ct believe some of this crap has been on the air for years!!

oh and prince of egypt. i actually really like that movie, except where theyre doing the magical stuff, with the snakes and stuff... i know the way its worded, thats pretty close to the biblical account of it, but i dont think they had to do the whole show around it etc. and no bashing to any pagan mamas here, ive had pagan friends, and i know it isnt a huge lights and smoke show put on when your rituals are done, sorry but i think that was taken too far..
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #48
Carrie
Registered Users

The violence thing scares me too. Last weekend I had the brilliant idea that maybe they would like to watch part of LOTR--just the first scene in the Shire, nothing scary. I turned it on and the first scenes (I had forgotten) were orcs and marching armies. My little boys were so frightened! They will not be ready for that kind of thing for probably 10 years at least. I can explain what a word means to my child (not that they would be likely to notice many of these questionable words for quite some time), but is much harder to explain why someone would hurt another.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #49
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW, I hadnt even noticed some of the stuff you ladies are pointing out & we've watched MOST of the movies mentioned a million times (okay maybe 100). My kids have never mentioned it or repeated anything they've heard. Oh & both my older kids have seen all the Harry Potter movies (we took our oldest to the theater to see the latest one) & they LOVE the first Pirates movie. You wanna talk about a "bad" movie, Space Balls!! I dont know WHY, but my kids LOVE it...its insane, I hate the thing!! They've never repeated or acted out anything, they just think its funny the dogs name is barf, LOL. I think we are teaching our kids proper behavior (& vocabulary) that they arent going to turn in to hoodlums later in life. And they love the LOTR movies too....but then again, my kids are kinda weird to begin with, LOL (just a quick disclaimer....the baby doesnt watch ANY of these except sesame street, barney, teletubbies, blues clues & that stuff!!)

BTW- i didnt think any posts from the first page were out of line in anyway (I havent read the 2nd page yet, LOL)

Last edited by rowynne; 07-29-2006 at 08:31 PM.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 AM   #50
skayers01
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMer

Madagascar, well, we let them watch it once, until the Zebra spelled out Sugar Honey Iced Tea. I mean come on, how hard do you want a curse word put into your cartoon for kids without parents "noticing"?
:
My dh understood it right away.. I was oblivious and we watch it all the time! DD is only 2, so she just likes all the animals and the "I like to move it" song!