View Poll Results: Why do you have/want a baby shower?
To get gifts/items that you can't afford 23 23.00%
To get gifts/items that you want but may not buy 18 18.00%
To make your family happy 7 7.00%
Other. Please Explain. 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

What are Baby Showers for?

I am just wondering what everyone thinks Baby Showers are for.
The choices are... 1}. Are baby showers only for people who can't afford baby items? 2}. Are they for everyone, but are more for things that you may want, but may not buy if they weren't a gift? 3}. Are you having one just to make your family happy? 4}. Or "other" reason... please explain.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by ClothDiaperingMama; 11-03-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: To clarify Poll Choices.
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: What are Baby Showers for?

I think I wanted mine just to celebrate that a baby was coming! Not to recieve gifts but just to have fun.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Same here , it would just be nice to have that celebration of a new person entering our lives , now I will admit that gifts are always nice and do help out but I wouldn't want one just for gifts , I would be 100% happy with just celebration and no gifts . Wish I could have one .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
thenanny
Banned
seller

My Mood:

To celebrate the coming of your first child. ( I think it is in extreme bad taste to have them for your 2nd + child) Of course receiving gifts is one of the major benefits. I don't think it is about getting gifts you couldn't normally afford, although sometime you may receive them. Or about getting gifts that you wouldn't normally buy, although many times you will. But mainly about receiving items that you need for a little one , often times you don't even think about needing until the baby is born and you go looking for that little gadget that Cousin Jill bought you that she said she used all the time. When you add up all the little costs of baby shampoo, outfits, blankets, binkies, bottles, playpen, crib, diapers, booger sucker, childproofing items, thermometer, gas medicine, baby tylenol, nail clippers, foot print and hand print making set, baby book, little toys, socks, booties, shoes, etc..... You come to thank God for that baby shower and all the people who came and celebrated the new little one coming. It's not about charity or anything of the sort. It's purely a happy welcoming gift for the baby to be.
thenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted one to celebrate with my friends and family that we were having a baby. Especially after so many years of trying.

And I knew that people (ahm my grandmother) would be impossible and buy horrible things so having a shower with a registry would help solve that problem.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Mom2MaggieSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanny View Post
To celebrate the coming of your first child. ( I think it is in extreme bad taste to have them for your 2nd + child)
I've been to quite a few showers for the 2nd + child and instead of calling them 'baby' showers we call them 'Pampers' showers. Instead of things like a pack and play we give diapers, wipes, baby shampoo, formula if they aren't BFing etc. Everything that gets used up. For our friend that was having her 4th child we gave her a 'Pamper' shower and got stuff for her, a gift certificate for massage, lingerie, a foot spa, etc. Plus every guest brought a card saying which meal they would be preparing for the family after the baby was born. Just one more thing that she didn't have to worry about. So I think there are tasteful ways to have a shower to celebrate more than just the first baby.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
HeatherElyse
Registered Users

My Mood:

Personally, I had one to celebrate the baby. It was nice to get things for her but really I didn't care. I told everyone to come and not worry about the gifts. It was important to me to have the love and support of my friends since my family was so far away.
HeatherElyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I guess what I am wondering.... if it is "just" to celebrate the child and gifts aren't important... then why not call it something else?

Like.. we are having a cookout.. come over and spend time with our family?

I am just really confused with babyshowers and quite frankly sick of hearing about them. I am sick of my family insisting we have one or giving me surprise ones... maybe I am just hormonal and grumpy, but I REFUSE to do any 'baby showers" etc. I am thinking of doing just what I said at the top of this post..

Come to a cookout and spend time with our family! That gets the point across and people wouldn't even think of bringing gifts as it isn't even a "welcome baby party" as we all know.. those are just like baby showers and people will feel obligated to bring gifts simply by the wording of 'baby'.

I thought starting a poll would help me figure out why it is so important to everyone. I thought maybe the gifts to help a mama out, but you say it is to 'celebrate the baby" and that you don't care about gifts. So now I am wondering why even say 'baby' in the invitation at all if you only want to visit with family/friends and don't care about gifts?

I am figuring out a new approach with family, so I do a lot of thinking outloud!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
Rosie-Lily-Violet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me, the gifts are secondary. I like the idea of having a party to celebrate bringing a child into the world. That deserves a party, if nothing else does! We called Rosemary's her "coming out" party and did it when she was about 4 weeks old. This time around, we included the men. They love babies as much as the women! I voted other.
Gifts are fun though, and I did register for some cloth diapers for those who were asking where I was registered!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
MeganW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it to celebrate baby. I was actually sad that no one threw me a shower for my second baby.