View Poll Results: Why do you have/want a baby shower?
To get gifts/items that you can't afford 23 23.00%
To get gifts/items that you want but may not buy 18 18.00%
To make your family happy 7 7.00%
Other. Please Explain. 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are Baby Showers for?

I think baby showers are given to a first mother-to-be to give her all kinds of things and celebrate a baby on the way. also play games with the new mama to get her ready!! and have a little fun too!

Advertisement

Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, it is to celebrate the new baby. The gifts are nice, and help out, but aren't important. In my group of friends, most have a shower for every baby. It is more an excuse for us to get together and hang out than anything else. I had to tell my friend that I don't want a shower this time. I have a 3 year old boy, a 2 year old girl, and am having another girl. We don't really need anything for this baby. We will have a meet the baby party after she is here. I know there are people who will want to get a gift regardless, so I am okay with that. I enjoy getting gifts for my friends new additions whether they are "needed" or not, and normally do even if they don't have a shower.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I voted other. I don't do it because I can't afford things or because I wanted useless stuff I wouldn't buy. I do it because people buy you baby gifts anyway, you may as well register for all the stuff you actually need. I had my shower before dd was born. I had already bought the big stuff, but got bottles, soap, all the odds and ends that you really need.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
kittkat398
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read the replies yet but I chose other because I believe a baby shower should be a celebration of a baby's impending arrival. I think it's become too hung up on the word shower to mean gifts. They aren't called baby gift showers, they are just baby showers. You can shower a baby with love and well wishes just as easily.
Personally I think it would be nice to just be able to get together and celebrate the idea of a new life joining us, celebration to celebrate not for gifts.
Why should only possibly a first baby be celebrated. All babies should be. So many people frown on showers for multiple babies but they have just as much reason to be celebrated.
Ideally that's my opinion of baby showers. Unfortunately I don't know how to put it into practice since it is such a gift oriented idea that people get hung up on. I'm not saying gifts are a bad thing, I just wish they weren't such an expected part of so many things, that the focus could be celebration and gifts be just a nice extra when they did occur.
kittkat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Sarah's Supermilk
Registered Users
seller

We got together to celebrate the baby. It was just fun to have a special thing for the new arrival. I didn't need much for #3 so it wasn't about gifts, with 1 & 2 there were things I needed so the gifts were great, too.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

My family threw a baby shower for me with dd because we were young, so to help us out with some things that we may not have been able to afford on our own, but more so to celebrate the baby,

I think a baby shower should be more for the celebration of a baby, opposed to a way to get gifts ,
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
Momma2B
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a first-timer and my sis has planned our "shower" however, the invites say "luncheon to celebrate Baby..." it is NOT a surprise, there will be NO games. There will be another room with a TV for the guys to watch the football game and the bigger room for the girls to sit around and gab. I'm sure there will be gifts which I am looking forward to! Our wedding shower was done the same way. I love my sis!! I like that we don't try to do surprises, we don't have those silly time-wasting games and we get to visit with everyone. The guys are there, but since we all know the women will be talking about baby stuff, there is somethng else for them to do if they wish.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
jerri
Registered Users

I think that baby showers (even without gifts) are a nice way for everyone to get together to welcome and support your new addition to the family.

A 2/02, K 1/05, T 4/07, F 4/09, L 12/11 and...expecting in May 2014
jerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We wanted to celebrate the birth of our second child, so we planned a welcome to the world party. We were going to have a cookout and invite family and friends over, but then he was born early and between planning dd's birthday and then planning a 4th of July cookout for my in-laws, we didn't get to have it I just felt like it would be an opportunity to celebrate without the pressure of shower gifts, plus it was more comfortable for men because we weren't having a "shower".
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegesmommy View Post
I think I wanted mine just to celebrate that a baby was coming! Not to recieve gifts but just to have fun.

I agree with this. Gifts were just a bonus from anyone who did bring them.
1bigfamily is offline   Reply With Quote