View Poll Results: Why do you have/want a baby shower?
To get gifts/items that you can't afford 23 23.00%
To get gifts/items that you want but may not buy 18 18.00%
To make your family happy 7 7.00%
Other. Please Explain. 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: What are Baby Showers for?

To me, baby showers are there to celebrate the baby and to help the new parents with the expense of having their first baby.

I think y ou should only get one shower (with your first) and not multiple.

Advertisement

BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller

My Mood:

What I don't understand is people thinking showers are to "celebrate the new baby" and at the same time say they shouldn't have a shower for future children! Why should only the first child be celebrated? Why can't you have a celebration for ALL babies born into the family? How is that even considered tacky!? So don't register for the next children if you don't want gifts. And maybe not call it a "shower" but rather a baby "celebration". All babies should be celebrated in the same spirit though. I don't want my second child to look through my first dd's baby book and ask why she had a baby shower and all those fancy decorations/gifts but why didn't they? Doesn't seem fair to me!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #23
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

To our family, they are to shower the expectant mama (& daddy) w/love, support, advice, encouragement, etc. If someone wants to AND is able to afford it, then they may bless them w/a monetary or material gift if they so choose. We give showers no matter whom is having tha baby (a young single mama, married, 1 income, 2 income, etc.).
Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I want to celebrate this baby! I'm so happy to be having her that I want everyone to be happy with me! Gifts are great and appreciated, but honestly, we can afford to buy what we want for her. In fact, I'm not sure what I will do gift-wise...

I also wouldn't mind being the center of attention for that little bit of time

I had dd1 5 weeks early and brought her to her own shower! So she was definately the center of attention there! I didn't have a shower w/ dd2 (they were pretty close together) AND my SIL was preg. with HER 2nd dd at the same time as me! So we shared the attention everywhere.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #25
nilennovy
Registered Users
seller

For me, a Baby shower is to celebrate the upcoming birth of a child/dren and a chance to be surrounded by people that love and support you. Maybe a chance to see some people you may not see very often. And to get some presents that you may need.
nilennovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #26
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

to me, theyre for celebrating the baby coming, the gifts are just a bonus
I think every baby should have a baby celebration, they all deserve it imo
Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #27
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby showers have always been to celebrate the new baby's arrival. It's also just fun to get together with other women and socialize.. it's not about the gifts at all for me.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanny View Post
To celebrate the coming of your first child. ( I think it is in extreme bad taste to have them for your 2nd + child)
I think celebrating every baby on the way is just as important. I never and will never understand this mentality that every baby after the 1st isn't important enough to at least celebrate them impending arrival.

I see baby showers as everyone getting together to celebrate having the baby and celebrating the baby all together.

I think the 1st shower is for bigger items if guest can afford it--but it doesn't have to be. My shower I didnt get anything huge, I got diapers, wipes, lotions, blankets and some clothes. I didnt register because to me registering feels greedy like I expect big items, so I left it up to people to get what they liked

The 2nd + showers are for small items--filler items such as diapers or wipes. Nothing elaborate or big.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
to me, theyre for celebrating the baby coming, the gifts are just a bonus
I think every baby should have a baby celebration, they all deserve it imo
I totally agree I think every baby deserves a party for them
Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #30
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

To me...

A shower is like a birthday party for a baby for year 0! (basically "Welcome to the world!")

This is a topic my mother & I recently argued over. She didn't want me to even have a shower (my first child, come on!). She thinks registries are stupid, but I think they're a way of telling others what would be wanted but could not be afforded. At age two, people ask the child "What do you want for your birthday?" As a newborn or before birth, Baby obviously does not have any idea, then it's up to the mother to make requests. As a gift-giver, I like to have at least an idea of what somebody wants to receive.

I would be offended if my baby did not get a shower. She's completely innocent and she deserves to receive a present and party! People are going to want to see her, and I'm not one of those people that likes to get out much. Nobody's bothered to offer yet, tho.

It's not just about the gifts. For one, I am very happy with cards. Second, it's a great opportunity for people to get to see my baby so I don't have to bring her to visit or put up with tons of visitors stopping by when she's still new.

Last edited by LauraI; 11-03-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: edit because I wasn't finished!
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote