View Poll Results: Why do you have/want a baby shower?
To get gifts/items that you can't afford 23 23.00%
To get gifts/items that you want but may not buy 18 18.00%
To make your family happy 7 7.00%
Other. Please Explain. 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #51
Registered Users
Re: What are Baby Showers for?

Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
I voted for the 2nd option, but I think it could also be the first option as well.
Originally Posted by ms_hecubus View Post
I've always thought of them in the same way I do bridal showers. Bridal showers are to set the new bride up with the neccessities of running a household and baby showers are to set the new mother up with the baby neccessities.

I also wanted to add that I don't think the parties were originally about buying new. People used to make quilts, can vegetables, put up preserves, etc for the new bride and I'm sure baby celebrations were similar. Of course, people used to have to make everything by hand and it could take ages to sew all the baby clothes you need.
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
Another vote for baby celebration, gifts are secondary. I actually didn't get that many things that I needed at my shower....I did get a carseat which was nice since I wound up returning our travel system. Lots of clothes, some sposies, eh. I bought most of the essentials myself, or they were handed down to me.

See... I agree with this. I think they are a celebration, but it IS about giving gifts to help the new parents and just to buy your friend/family member a gift because you want to 'help out". I like when the lady tells me what she wants/needs so I don't waste my money on something that she doesn't want or won't use. This is also what I have been told Baby Showers are for.

I guess that makes me feel embarrassed when my family thinks they just 'have' to throw us one. I do see that they are just trying to celebrate the upcoming birth and want to get us something that we will use.

Thanks again for the honest answers! I thought this was clearly the purpose in baby showers. I also like the idea of the Birthing From Within.. "Motherblessings" I think that would be cool to give to my daughters when they have their first pregnancies/babies.

Kaydee- Mama to: G{21},G{17]B{8},B{5}and Born-sleeping, AngelBaby,who is in our hearts forever! Abigail Neveah{Feb 23, 2007}
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #52
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wanted to have one to celebrate the baby. Though the gifts were very helpful, they were not my main reason for wanting a shower.
Mommy to Jasmine
Selling: AIO, Covers
Masami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #53
Registered Users
My Mood:

I never had one and I don't feel that cheated. But then again NOBODY that I know around here would get me things that I would use. ( Wool , CD, natural toys, lambskin, playsilks, bbritax...) I want a mother blessing with this one though but then again, not going to happen. I would like to have something for e becoming a big brother so that he still get some attenion in a time that he might feel cheated and gifts that he could get would be big brother books, waldorf baby ( i am trying to make one right now) and things like that. Just my
Gluten/Dairy Free, breastfeedin', shared sleepin' unschoolin' Mama to two boys with perfect junk Easton( 4/27/05 SPD Hypo and Aspergers) and Junah( 2/18/08 born at home in the tub!)
Check out the blog link above, daily GFCF meals, menu's and shopping lists!! Making GFCF fun, easy, and not like cardboard!
TieNappyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #54
Registered Users

For me, they are about celebrating the upcoming birth of our child. We only had one with our first and I feel kind of sad about it, because my other two children deserve being celebrated too. It's not about gifts at all, just to get together and having an event in honor of the child. I've never expected anything from anyone and really, really don't expect people to buy big expensive gifts. That is kind of tacky, IMHO, since other people are not responsible for me getting pg and I can't expect anyone else to take care of my kids (and I don't!).
Veronika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #55
Registered Users

I voted other... to celebrate the arrival of a new life!
Kelly married to Rob, and mom to Andrew 13, Ben 10, Zofia 8, Nate 7, Julia 4, Max, 2, and Anna Claire, born 6/24/12!!
check out my Etsy store!
ISO BGOS snaps in white, ribbit, and sweet.
kstgelais4 is offline   Reply With Quote