Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Essie422
Registered Users

Wool for overnight?

I'm considering trying wool for a nighttime diaper. During the day I use BG 4.0 with a FST wrapped around a newborn BG microfiber insert, but at night she sleeps 12 hours and I couldn't get our BGs stuffed enough to last all night without causing leaks due to fit. We have been using disposables at night but she has recently become a tummy sleeper and even those are leaking at night plus I'm tired of buying them! Based on my research wool seems like the only thing that might last all night but I have a lot of questions. 1. Do you have a brand of wool soarers/covers you recommend? 2. What should I use underneath to last all night? Would my FSTs be enough? I was thinking pad fold one FST with MF inside and use the another FST as a flat diaper and fasten it with a snappie, or do I really need to buy some fitteds or prefolds too for under the wool?

Advertisement

Essie422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
ASpiro
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wool for overnight?

I don't have experience with FSTs so I don't know how absorbent they are but depending on how heavy a wetter your daughter is you might be better off using a hemp or bamboo doubler instead of the microfiber to help with absorbency. The pad fold/flat fold combo should work, that is what we do. I use sweet iris bamboo flats for night and use one of her pad fold size flats as a doubler and My dd nurses multiple times and t lasts us 12 hrs easy. Plus it cleans. I love using the GMD workhorses at night too but I struggled to keep them clean. We also tried using a hybrid fitted and just had too many stink issues.

I don't think you can go wrong with wool. We use a variety: imse vimse wrap, happy heinys stacinator (the double layer one), Disana, and I just ordered an interlock soaker off the FSOT to try! I love love love wool!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I love Bumby wool the most! Woollybottoms makes some really nice and affordable soakers too. Myecobaby on etsy is fabulous too and will customize anything for you. The key for my DS is to have an interlock waistband at night. It stays in place better - upcycled waistbands would often slide or roll down and lead to the diaper wicking onto sheets.

In my experience FST's are not very absorbent. If you want to stick to a flats combo with a doubler/insert I would suggest a higher quality bamboo flat (sweet iris, orange diaper company, etc) or maybe a real cotton flat like GMDs (these wouldn't hold my toddler overnight but some people find they do, they are much more absorbent then FST's though).

I prefer nighttime fitteds under wool. Favourites are sbish OBFs or hybrid fitteds like Dipper Whipperz it Sassybumz.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Essie422
Registered Users

Thanks ladies! I think I will start with just buying a wool soaker or two and then if the FST and microfiber aren't enough I will look into some of your suggestions. I'm hoping to be able to make what I have work...DH isn't too excited about buying more diaper stuff, I had him convinced everything we bought pre-baby would be all we needed and now it is proving not to be...thanks for all your help.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Personally I think a receiving blanket would prove to be more absorbent without costing much if any money(thinking one you already own). Maybe cutting up one smaller to fold and use as a doubler in an uncut blanket. If you can sew I have found upcycled longies to be just as good as my much more expensive store bought soakers. Just skip jammy bottoms. Just make sure to fully felt the wool before cutting. That makes the wool denser and function better. Then lanolize about 2-3 times once you have it sewn. After that they are super easy to care for as they are machine washable and dryable. Machine drying I did find to make for more frequent lanolizing but not a bad trade off I thought.

I buy my lanolin on ebay. Significantly cheaper and works just as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Disana wool covers are my go-to nighttime covers.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
tikimont
Registered Users
seller

I think the cheapest most effective option might be getting a couple sweet iris flats, a couple hemp doublers and an upcycled wool shorties or longies (either buy one on the sale board, have a friend sew one from a thrift shop sweater (or sew your own if you can using the tutorials online). You really can't beat sweet iris and woolies!!!
tikimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Essie422
Registered Users

Essh! Sweet Iris is expensive! I already ordered a soaker from woollybottoms since it was only $25 before I started looking at the prefolds and flats. There no way I can afford sweet iris. I thought prefolds or flats was the cheap way to do cloth!? Any suggestions that are a bit cheaper? Would any bamboo be better than FST? Blueberries sells some bamboo flats for cheaper that I could get. Or maybe a couple hemp doublers. I'm open to prefolds too. Hopefully I can sell the wool soaker if it doesn't work with cheaper diapers. I'm so tired of wet sheets even with sposies but changing them everyday might be the easiest thing! Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info ladies!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
ASpiro
Registered Users
seller

They are expensive. In my opinion they are worth every penny but there are DEFINITELY other options that will work. I agree with PP that suggested using a receiving blanket(s) you already have. Receiving blankets are half my flat stash and they work awesome. I'm happy to send you some if you don't have any, free for exact shipping. They are 100% cotton flannel. I also have a hemp doubler from Moraki that I can throw in, I don't use it much anymore bc I use sweet iris padfold flats as doublers now.

I have heard blueberry bamboo flats shrink ALOT but have no experience with that. I would take the money you would use on those and purchase either bamboo prefolds from GMD or some of their hemp doublers.

Pm me if you're interested in the blanket flats/hemp doubler!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie422 View Post
Essh! Sweet Iris is expensive! I already ordered a soaker from woollybottoms since it was only $25 Mmmn before I started looking at the prefolds and flats. There no way I can afford sweet iris. I thought prefolds or flats was the cheap way to do cloth!? Any suggestions that are a bit cheaper? Would any bamboo be better than FST? Blueberries sells some bamboo flats for cheaper that I could get. Or maybe a couple hemp doublers. I'm open to prefolds too. Hopefully I can sell the wool soaker if it doesn't work with cheaper diapers. I'm so tired of wet sheets even with sposies but changing them everyday might be the easiest thing! Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info ladies!
Sweet Iris is the expensive flat. Too expensive for my pocket book. I don't own any. Bamboo is expensive as well. I own 1 At least I think they are. I know I said it before but I'll say it again if money and functionality is your goal receiving blankets and upcycled wool will be your cheapest option.