Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Front Loader HELP! Sanitiary cycle needed?

Hi mamas,
We are QUICKLY researching FL's and are debating whether to go the extra step up in price to get the one with the Sanitize cycle (where it has an extra water heater in the unit to heat the water up to 160 or something like that.)

My question is - has anyone found that their sanitize cycle really helps in washing diapers over the plain "hot" wash (straight out of the water heater - 120ish degrees).

Doesn't drying in the dryer on hot serve the same purpose in killing germs? Or not? I do line dry in the summer, so then I don't have the added benefit of the dryer to kill germs (but I have the sun!)

Advertisement

aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Front Loader HELP! Sanitiary cycle needed?

I've never once used the sanitary cycle on our diapers. I only used it one time for towels just to test it out- and it was like a 2 hour cycle!! WOW! Never used it again.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
MadreDeDos
Banned

use it eveytime
MadreDeDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I use it everytime and my diapers come out spotless no matter what kind a mess the diapers were in. It is a long cycle but worth it.
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
gigglegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use sanitize every time, but I do use it. As a pp said, long cycle but very worth it.

Feedback on Diaper Traders, eBay, and TBW

gigglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

I use my sanitary cycle every time I was the diapers. I've not compared the sanitary and hot cycles on my FL so I don't know if there is a difference. I know that the sanitary cycle is a very long cycle, but I really don't mind. I have found that I don't have to use very much detergent and my diapers come out clean every time. I wonder if it is because I use the sanitary cycle and any bacteria or germs have been killed.
Before my FL I was using a TL and would sometimes have to do so many cycles just to get everything clean. Now I just do a quick wash on cold to get everything rinsed out then I do the sanitary cycle and I usually follow it with an extra rinse to make sure all of the detergent has been rinsed out. Typically I start the diaper laundry right after I put the boys to bed. That way the long cycle is running while we're sleeping and it won't get in the way of any other laundry I usually do during the day.
Currently I am living on base so I don't pay utilities, but previous to this house we lived in an apartment and I didn't find that my utility bills were extremely high because of my washer/dryer.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
glockchick
Registered Users
Formerly: ShannaLeah
seller

My Mood:

Yes it really does help. I tried doing my diapers in just the hot wash, and while it works, sanitary works much better. It's not that much longer on our washer either. If I were to choose the same extra settings that I do on sanitary on a hot cycle (pre-wash, extra rinse, and water plus), it's only about 30 minutes shorter for the regular hot cycle. I just started a sanitary with all those options and it will take 2 hrs and 7 min. A regular cycle is around 90 minutes.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
madmacksmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use the sanitary cycle on my FL for every diaper wash as well! I do a prerinse and spin and then the sanitary cycle with an extra rinse and my machine runs for 2hours10min. I try to do my diaper loads at night so I don't have to wait to keep my other laundry going.

We had a TP before we got the FL and I have to say that my diaps are coming out much cleaner now that they ever have! I would highly recommend the sanitary cycle!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use my sanitary cycle on my LG FL every diaper load! It has been great- I had tried a half dozen different detergents and routines with my top loader and even in my front loader before giving in and using the sanitary cycle- I haven't had a problem since! It is worth the extra $$! I also wash my sheets and towels on the sanitary cycle and don't need to use bleach.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use my sanitary cycle every singe time I do diapers, I don't care about the length of the wash because I just start it before I go to bed so the length doesn't really matter.
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote