Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did you get bloodwork done to confirm your pregnancy?

So I just found out this weekend I'm pregnant. I called my primary care Dr, and how it works with my insurance is that I need a referral from my primary care physican before I can go to a midwife or OBGYN, etc. Anways, I call her to set up the appointment for the initial bloodwork, like I did for my son 2 years ago.

I called my Dr, who I have been seeing for over 4 years now and the nurse tells me they don't do any pregnancy bloodwork anymore and I need to see set up an appt with an OBGYN. Now, my last OBGYN who I don't want to go to again anyways, but they don't see pregnant women until 10 weeks.

Is that normal? Since I have no symptoms and have a super short luteal phase, I really wanted a quantitative HCGs levels drawn plus progesterone levels and they won't do it. Did I mention I pay through the nose for my insurance plan which covers this 100%? Obviously if there is an issue, I'll know first hand before that, but if you have low progesterone levels, couldn't I be prescribed meds to raise the levels?

I'm really annoyed - I am overreacting?

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you get bloodwork done to confirm your pregnancy?

I actually just posted about this same thing on a poll about someone who was upset her MW didn't want to see her until after 12wks, but this is pretty normal for my OB's practice. UNLESS you're high-risk, you go in around 8-9wks for bloodwork & to sign some paperwork with the nurse and then again at 10-12wks for your 1st appt with the OB, NP or MW. They know for sure they'll be able to hear the HB on the Doppler, feel your fundal height, gotten you past a high m/c phase and if anything happens before that (unless you're HR) there really isn't much that they can do to prevent it from happening.

I'm sorry you're feeling upset, but if it's something you're really worried about than call in and talk to someone. If you're getting BFPs (especially if they're gradually getting darker) and you're feeling your typical symptoms or you're feeling great than you're on the right track mama!

ETA: Is there a reason you want Progesterone & quantitive Hcg labs done? It may have nothing to do with your insurance coverage, just protocol. I know that was NEVER done with ANY pregnancy until my 5th when they thought I was having a m/c.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 11-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
kmdchuckles
Registered Users
seller

I don't know about the hormone levels but my PCP Dr said it was unnecessary to do confirmatory blood work in a new pregnancy because the over-the-counter tests are so accurate (and when they're not, it's a false negative). The OBs in my area won't see patients until the end of the first trimester, because well they said they don't want to see patients that aren't going to remain their patients (a reference to the high miscarriage rate in the first trimester). It's awful, but just the reality of too few OBs because of high insurance and liability rates for them.

Maybe you can find a new OB or midwife that will see you sooner if you're really worried.

Crunchy granola christian momma to one chunky monkey (4/06) and one sweet peanut (9/08) and wife to one loving, cooking, diaper changing saint to have married me!
kmdchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No blood work for me. Which makes me happy since I cant stand it. My OB saw me at 8 weeks for my first appointment and they just did urine, a full OB exam and a u/s to confirm pregnancy and dates.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm just nervous since my luteal phase is 8 days max and we didn't think I could get pregnant I'm still nursing quite a bit, I feel like I'm on thin ice.
I guess I'm really frustrated with just in general how impersonal healthcare is, how expensive it is, and how much of a "number" you are made to feel.

I know that if I start bleeding or my numbers aren't doubling there isn't anything they can do anyways, but they could run the simple blood test and set my mind at ease - you know? I rarely call or go to my Dr. Just my yearly check up, I'm a pretty easy patient. I just feel put out, that I actually called to be have one blood test and be denied. I'm sure it's a $ thing, but we pay over $600 a month for me and my son's insurance.... Do I sound like Michael Moore yet? LOL.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well it isn't really just a simple test. It's a series of tests, your dr has to take the time to go over it, make sure it's doubling like it should and God forbid it isn't, then you're going to be panicked and worried. KWIM? That's what happened to me and my LO is almost 2 now. I was worried SICK that I was having a m/c b/c my numbers were where they should be. With a short LP they may not be where your OB thinks they should be and you will end up needing an u/s and this and that and it snowballs into this parade of worry & appts over blood tests that really weren't necessary in the first place.
I know you're just thinking it could set your mind at ease, but I'd invest in some HPTs and take one every 3rd day to make sure the line is getting darker. Honestly, it's less painful and less worrisome.

And ITA with feeling like a number and the way medical treatment has become. Don't get me wrong! I have Kaiser and they're notorious for that kind of treatment, I've been fortunate and not run into that problem. I've definatly had my pregnancies micro-managed though and it leads to unnecessary tests and appts. I had an early BFP which led to the early u/s and it led to the bloodwork b/c the u/s just didn't add up to their dates. You have to go every other day and then hopefully by 6wks they'll verify a HB on an u/s. Well I was on vaca at Disneyland w/ my family at the 6wk mark and the whole time I worried and worried that my baby was just dying or dead! The last day I started puking horribly though so I was like for puking!!! Hahaha! I came home, had my u/s and saw the HB and all the worry was for NOTHIN!!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

My first two preg I found out though either Health Dept. or PCP and then I made an appointment with OBGYN and just went from there..

With this preg. I went to Health dept (cheaper than co-pay to see pcp ) did a urine test confirmed preg and they gave me this letter with est due date assuming I would go for medicaid/care ( whichever it is I never know lol ) but we have private insurance so I called a new ob ( didn't like last one ) and they said I need to come in to confirm the preg ( blood work I assume by the way she was talking ) and then come back 2 weeks later @ ten weeks for an actual prenatal visit
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Kita
Registered Users
seller

I had bloodwork the first time, but that was because I was doing fertility drugs, and they wanted to check the levels (and then I found out I was carrying twins....) The 2nd time around, no bloodwork until my routine OB exam at 11 weeks.

Maybe if you express your concerns to your primary doc, they'll order the workup anyway, or refer you right away to the OB? Just a thought.....
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I had bloodwork the first time, but that was because I was doing fertility drugs, and they wanted to check the levels (and then I found out I was carrying twins....) The 2nd time around, no bloodwork until my routine OB exam at 11 weeks.

Maybe if you express your concerns to your primary doc, they'll order the workup anyway, or refer you right away to the OB? Just a thought.....
I don't mean this in a snotty way but this is the line of thinking that has developed THIS type of request in the first place. The OB does it to satisfy his worried patient b/c she's read (most likely online w/ TTC & birth boards) of other moms having them done and does them for her too. Really, a single qtv hcg test done at less than 4wks isn't going to tell you much. I think the OB should explain better to the patient WHY & WHEN the tests are done and try to comfort them. I think that's where healthcare has taken a turn for the worse, let's just run a few simple expensive, invasive & unnecessary tests and viola! Everything looks fine! Now they're happy!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I did have bloodwork done w/ all 3 of my pg's so far, but I don't know what they tested for - I'm assuming just hcg. I've had the same OB for all 3 pg's, and he likes the first appt at 8 weeks, then 12, 16 etc. I never thought about having bloodwork done asap, I assumed the POAS test was sufficient (along w/ my pg symptoms) and what happens happens. I also, as Kristi said, would be worried about a cascade of tests and interventions if YOUR dates don't match THEIR dates - a whole waste of time and worry, IMO.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote