Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

The STUPID things people say to pregnant women...

now that i'm 37 weeks and as big as a house, people's comments in public have just become straight up bizarre! no one can keep their mouths shut, but these last couple of encounters makes me wonder where people are keeping their brains.

the other night i was at the grocery store getting a huge container of strawberries and cream puffs to take to a friend's house for dessert. as the checkout girl is ringing my stuff up, the bagger boy looks at me and says, "wow. how many months are you?" i looked at him and said, "i'm ALL the months", and just laughed. so then when he went to put my stuff in a bag and i declined b/c i didn't need a bag, the checkout girl says, "oh yeah, just LOOK at her, she's TOTALLY going to kill that in the car!". ummmm why on earth would that be an acceptable thing to say to a customer whether she is pregnant or not?

and then, last night at the hardware store, an employee walks up to us and this conversation ensues:

hardware guy: when are you due?
me: very, very, soon.
him: what are you having?
me: we don't know, we didn't find out!
him: (as he high fives me) good girl! (what?? as if the alternative makes me naughty?)
him: so is your husband interested in attending the delivery?
me: **laughs** why don't you ask my husband?
him: so whadda ya say dad, are you going to be there for the big event?
my husband: ummm...YEAH!
him: so are you planning a drug free delivery? (WHAT?????)
me: yes, that's the plan.
him: hahahaha, that's what you say NOW, but i bet when you get to the hospital you'll be begging for every drug in the book. hahahahahahaha!
me: we'll just have to see.
him: ok, congrats, have a healthy baby!

ok, seriously, where is the censor? why are pregnant women treated as public property? can you tell that i'm ready to have this baby out and end the ridiculous comments?

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: The STUPID things people say to pregnant women...

luckily i haven't had anyone say anything rude to me but i will kick someone if they say something rude to me because they don't know when to flip the "censor" on
jillianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG I would seriously hurt someone if they made a comment about me eating anything whatsoever preggo or not!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Mommy2bagain
Banned

My Mood:

It makes me so mad when people say STUPID things!! I'm sorry people said that to you ! Men don't understand Well most men!

Once this lady asked me If I was just too fat or expecting 2. I was so upset!
Mommy2bagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2bagain View Post
It makes me so mad when people say STUPID things!! I'm sorry people said that to you ! Men don't understand Well most men!

Once this lady asked me If I was just too fat or expecting 2. I was so upset!
now that takes the cake! what are people thinking??
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, mama. Some people just leave their brains at the back door sometimes I swear!

One time we went to a bbq for dh's employer and one of the guys said something like I had another one coming down the chute soon (I was pg obviously LOL). I just thought that was really crass.

Another time I was carrying my newborn ds in the grocery store and still wearing maternity tops as after 6 kids my belly just doesn't want to seem to shrink after delivery. ANyhow this lady was like, "How in the world are you pg again????" DUH!!! Maybe she never had kids.

Last edited by heluvsme; 11-05-2007 at 03:12 PM.
heluvsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG! Obviously teaching manners is not a big priority for a lot of parents, unfortunately... Luckily I've never had anyone say anything that offensive to me (although I don't get that big when I'm pg - for some reason, the bigger you are, the more people feel free to open mouth - insert foot) - my biggest issue is people who tell me horror stories about their sister/daughter/niece/friend, etc. who had some horrific l&d!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither View Post
the checkout girl says, "oh yeah, just LOOK at her, she's TOTALLY going to kill that in the car!"

I would have said, "Excuse me? I'd like to speak with a manager about what you just said." And then ratted her out. Getting written up would make her think twice in the future.

Quote:
him: so is your husband interested in attending the delivery?

What a stupid question!

Quote:
him: so are you planning a drug free delivery?

I would have said, "If we were pretending this was any of your business, I might answer you."

Quote:
him: hahahaha, that's what you say NOW, but i bet when you get to the hospital you'll be begging for every drug in the book. hahahahahahaha!

To this, I would have said something like, "Still pretending this is your business, are we?"

Quote:
why are pregnant women treated as public property?

Because we're seen as vulnerable and easy targets by bullies, which is why I have no problem giving an oral smackdown to those who deserve it. I don't care if they chalk up my attitude to hormones, sometimes people need to eat a verbal knuckle sandwich & that's all there is to it.

I was shopping in a store for my 1st, and since I didn't know anything about B******, didn't know anyone who had done it, didn't know where to go for help, or anything of the sort, I chose to bottle feed. I was buying bottles.

The woman ringing me up was all, "Gonna bottle feed, huh?" I said, "Yeah." She said, "Why do you think God gave you your breasts? Feeding your baby is what they are FOR!" I said, "I don't condemn other people for the choices they make, and would appreciate it if you don't condemn me for mine." She said, "I breastfed TWINS!" I said, "Good for you. That kind of thing doesn't work for me, now ring up my purchase with your mouth CLOSED, or I'm going to speak to the manager about you and your attitude. This is none of your concern." She shut her mouth and finished our transaction, but then started *****ing at the woman in line BEHIND me about how I was wrong, and how my baby would be unhealthy & all this other stuff.
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The first one was dead rude, but I can see where the second guy was just trying to make conversation. Maybe his wife is into natural birth? (yes, I'm stretching...)
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was waitress and pregnant with my first I would get comments like I am full as you look or are you fat or pregnant and then proceeds to say she didn't want to offend me by asking when I was due without asking if I was pregnant.

I think stupid people can't stop themselves from saying stupid comments. It will be all over soon! Then you have to defend your newborn from people in public. I swear when I had Isabelle everyone wanted to get in her face and tried to breath all over her. It doesn't get any better. LOL