Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Angry Neighborhood kids

Well, we supposedly live in a really good neighborhood, but it seems that one does not actually exist here in this part of Washington. Every time my two oldest go outside to play, they get harrassed.

Two nights ago, they go outside and are riding their bikes down the street. A group of kids (ages 9-10 with the exception of one TEENAGER) all pull their bikes up in front of them to keep them from riding (they are 9 and 7). They start calling them names for no apparent reason, and even start swinging a homemade weapon at them!

They turn their bikes around and go around the block so they can get home, totally booking it. The group of hellions is at their heels, chasing them. Of course, when they get home, they don't mention it until like 10 minutes later, so I can't run outside and wring the kids' necks.

So what in the world do I do? It seems like they have problems with bratty neighborhood kids every time they leave the house, and I don't want to have to follow them everywhere because they are at an age (mostly my oldest) where they need a little bit of freedom away from me. But the homemade weapon and chasing really scares me, as it's not just teasing.

So do I tell them they can't go outside alone anymore? or what?

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Neighborhood kids

I would give them a cell phone so if they need they can call. otherwise I don't know what I would do. But I do know I would be sooooooo PO'd!

Good luck Sheila!~
Old 07-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I 2nd the phone....they have certain ones out there (and i forget the name) where it's only got..hmm...I'm not sure, 5 buttons or something...there's maybe 4 buttons that are assigned a number and then maybe one to hang up the call...I'm not really sure Mine aren't old enough, but a friend of mine got one for her daughter (9yo). They can't make or receive calls that aren't those specified numbers. I think it's a great idea for kids who are too young for a real cell phone but are old enough to be away (any distance) from their parents.

I can ask my friend the name of the phone she got if you're interested.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Jen, that does sound like something I'd be interested in. Them having a phone all the time would make me feel better!
Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the phone is called a firefly, i know they did have them at target but i dont know if they do anymore. thats all i can think of to do other than keep them inside unless youre right there with them, maybe can you sit outside and "garden" or something some while theyre out and can try to sort of see whats going on without being super obvious youre trying to watch them?? for you and your kids though!!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Walmart and Target have walkie-talkies for $10 that have a good radius. My kids use them going around the block. They get freedom, I get security.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Good walkie talkies may work well , the firefly phone is $99 plus service which is usually prepaid. There is another similar kids cell phone thru verizon if you have them in your area.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

For me, my 12 1/2 year doesnt get to go out of the yard. We live out in the country but even if we didn't she wouldn't. There was a weirdo driving around and attempted to kidnap some kids in our town. One 12 yr old boy got away from them. Scares the crap out of me!! A phone would not ease my fears one bit. If they are abducted the phone could be dropped or lost. In my sight is best!!! I would freak!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annes_cottage
For me, my 12 1/2 year doesnt get to go out of the yard. We live out in the country but even if we didn't she wouldn't. There was a weirdo driving around and attempted to kidnap some kids in our town. One 12 yr old boy got away from them. Scares the crap out of me!! A phone would not ease my fears one bit. If they are abducted the phone could be dropped or lost. In my sight is best!!! I would freak!

I totally ditto that.
Now being the kind of person I am I would probably try to find out where they live and talk to the parents. I would also say something to the children. On the other hand I don't think my kids would be in that situation. It is too bad some bad apples make it hard for the rest of the world.

I know it may seem extreme to talk to the parents but geez they need to know. One time we lived in this neighborhood and it was like 9:30 at night in the summer but still anyway this little 5 year old girl comes knocking on my door asking if my son could play. We didn't even know her she must have seen him playing in our yard. Anyways, I was so shocked that a 5 year old little girl was just roaming the streets alone going to strangers doors asking to play. So, I followed her home and told her Mom I thought it was very unappropriate and dangerous that her daughter was out like that. She just laughed nervously and didn't say anything. I thought someday something bad is going to happen to that poor little girl.

I just think as parents it is our ultimate responsibility to watch and protect our children. I just wonder what is more important their "freedom" or their safety?? Maybe there are more controlled places for them to go play where they still have some "freedom" but safety also.

I hope this all works out and everyone is happy and safe
hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Well first, my kids are not 5 years old, nor are they wandering around at 9:30 at night. This is midafternoon on bicycles, and they just go up and down the street.

Plus I never said talking to the parents was extreme, I said I don't know who the kids even are. But thank you to all who actually had something helpful to say. I'm definitely going with the cell phone or walky talky.