Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Neighborhood kids

If I were you, I would probably keep an eye on the situation. Maybe but the little ones in a stroller and kind of walk around the block. Maybe have your older ones scout out where these other children live, but in your watchful eye. Once place of residence has been located, have a talk with the parent/parents with the children there. I would not talk to the children without talking to the parents first because I would frankly be ticked off if someone went up to my child without talking to me first in this situation. Once you have made contact with the parents, the situation should stabalize, and if it doesn't, call the cops. Usually there is one leader and a bunch of followers and at this age most kids are trying to find out what they can get away with. If they know their parents will be told and you will also come down on them, then they might just stop and become friends with your children as well. It happens in my neighborhood all the time. We have a family with 5 young boys and they can't keep an eye on them all the time. They had a habbit of running through my flowerbed when I first moved in. They know not to mess with me, but they know they can come to me if they are in trouble at the same time.

Advertisement

jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
Well first, my kids are not 5 years old, nor are they wandering around at 9:30 at night. This is midafternoon on bicycles, and they just go up and down the street.

Plus I never said talking to the parents was extreme, I said I don't know who the kids even are. But thank you to all who actually had something helpful to say. I'm definitely going with the cell phone or walky talky.

O NO!! I am so sorry you took what I said the wrong way. I realize your children are not 5. I was using that as an example of why I talked to the parents. I am so sorry you thought I was saying you were like that. Also, I didn't say you thought I was extreme. I said that because I thought someone might think talking to the parents was extreme.

I was in no way trying to make you mad. I realize this seemed like a difficult situation for you and you were trying to get some help. I'm sorry you felt like you had to say something sharped tongued back to me. Emails are really hard to interpret sometimes so I realize maybe you just misread what I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion. I still hope everything works out for the best for everyone.

Warmly,
Hattie
hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Wow Sheila thats crazy!
I second the walkie talkies. Cheaper than a cell and at this age I thinkthat is more appropraite. My DHs little brother is 11 and he got some of the Motorola ones for Christmas and when he plays outside his Mom can just be like "dinner time to come home" he is usually a few houses down at a neighbor friends house or in the front yard playing.
I cant believe those kids though. I would say until you figure out who they were just hangout outside with the kiddos and see if they come around.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Hattie, I apologize for my response then, it sounded like you were insinuating that I am the "bad mom" in your story.

Jena, that's a good idea, I can walkie talkie them for anything, haha! "Get in here and clean up this mess you left!"

I will definitely be outside on the lookout for these kids. It really surprises me that one of them is a teenager, you'd think he had something better to do than pick on small children.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
itsamy9
Registered

I personally would go and talk with them. Not in an angry way tho that may be hard since you are fuming. Just in an even tone. Ask what's going on? These kids probably just think no one is watching. maybe they dont mean any harm but are bored and looking to get a rise. when you talk to them I would definitly be looking at that teenager because s/he should know better. If it is a good neighborhood, just the threat of parent notification should be enough to scare them. hth
itsamy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

Sadly this seems to be happening more and more in "good" neighborhoods, where usually both mom and dad are working and there is no supervision, the kids just seem to run amok. I would take walks a lot with your kids on their bikes, like pp said and have them show you who it was (without the other kids knowing or seeing them point them out, kwim? ) Then have a talk with the parents. Although you might not have much luck with that- it seems a lot of parents nowadays seem to take the tack of "Well, my kid doesn't do anything wrong ever, you must be mistaken" or "Well, I didn't see it happen, so I am not sure what you want me to do about it now". I definitely woudn't talk to the kids without their parents there, that would be setting yourself up for trouble later- you get into this "The neighbor lady [verbally] attacked me today!" thing, then it doesn't even matter that they really started it, kwim? Even though you would never "attack" a kid, that is the story I see going home to their parents.It is like being btwn a rock and a hard place, bcs you want justice for your kiddos, but you might never see it, and your girls shouldn't have to be frightened to ride their bikes around. I hope it all works out for ya!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #17
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

I'm sorry this happened to them!!!
We live in a "good" neighborhood and my kids (and I) have been harrassed but brats....I mean kids. We have even gotten dog poo thrown out our house.
My boys are 3 and 10 months so I haven't let them outside by themselves(obviously) and they have still been taunted by the kids. We tried to speak to the parents but, of course, that didn't work. You know, their precious angels never do anything wrong. So everytime something would happen, I'd call the cops. Fortunately, the cops were very much aware of the children's behavior (even though they were angels) and showed up right away. After a few times of the cops talking to the mother (the father is in jail.....imagine that) the behavior stopped. They have since moved and are terrorizing another neighborhood, I'm sure. LOL!!!!
I also don't tolerate teenagers cursing loudly or screaming (I'm not talking about just talking, I'm talking about fighting with each other) while we are out playing. I'll say something nicely to them the first time and then if they do it again, I'll call the cops. Might seem a bit extreme but I'm one of those people that think that you should watch your language and behavior around children!!!
Anyway, I second the walkie talkies!!!! Good luck and I hope you can get it dealt with~!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

[QUOTE=Fiveblessings]Hattie, I apologize for my response then, it sounded like you were insinuating that I am the "bad mom" in your story.

Thank you and no problem.
hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #19
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah my brothers 7 and not allowed out of our (fenced) yard in general if hes here but definitely not past the end about halfway down outr very small street, theres 16 houses, its a court, and most of the houses are off sidewalks behind ours, so its really small. my brother wasnt allowed out of the yard at all, and these little kids (NO rudeness here just trying to be honest) were all coming up to him and cussing him (and us!) out and calling us all kinds of crap for being white and finally one threw a rock at my brothers hed (well, one that hit him...he threw lots more randomly) and busted open my brothers head, you could see his bone, this is when they were 4 or 5. my mom called the police and the mom and uncle etc said...get this..HE DOESNT LIVE THERE!! :O and got over 100 bucks out of my godsons grandpa cause my godsons uncle is mentally not his age, he was throwing a toy and this little brat said that he busted his nose open and there was blood all over his clothes etc, the kids got all new, brand new, WHITE clothes and shoes, nike, etc (WHY was a then 6 yr old playin outside in solid freakin white anyway??) and right after the police left, he was running around outside again with no blood on those clothes and laughing about getting my friends brother "locked up for trying to kill him" and some not very nice remarks about hsi mental condition oh yeah, and guess who lived there when they wanted something??
but yeah...definitely find out whats going on!!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote