View Poll Results: What should DS wear on his bum for the next 10 days?
His small FBs 23 37.10%
Prefolds and covers 23 37.10%
Sposies 13 20.97%
Other (please explain in your post) 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
lizanneh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Antibiotics and CDing

Took DS to the Dr. this morning after three days of runny nose, fever, and basic grumpiness/night screaming. He has a double ear-infection.

So, the Dr. prescribed amoxicillin (the pink liquid keep it in the fridge kind), and I'm afraid to put him in his CDs.

See, he's just about to outgrow his small FBs. They're in great condition -- got most used, but only had them a few weeks. I'd like to be able to sell them again to fund mediums. We only CD part-time so far, too (DS in in daycare).

Do I put him in sposies for the next 10 days to avoid icky poops on the FBs? Do I use prefolds and covers exclusively during CD hours (only have 6 PFs)? Or do I put him in his FBs and hope for the best?

Advertisement

Last edited by lizanneh; 07-30-2006 at 10:24 AM.
lizanneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Dorky_Mom
Registered Users

Re: Antibiotics and CDing

aww poor little guy.. I hope he feels better soon!

breast feeding baby wearing cloth diapering attached momma
Dorky_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
hauser
Registered Users
seller

just line his fb's with something..wash cloths work pretty well if you don't have anmything else
Old 07-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
alanajo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive been going through this very same thing for a month!! Dalton had to take antibiotics for 2 weeks and still 2 weeks later he still has the poops. I had to take him back to the Dr to get more ointment for his rash. $25 a pop for the ointment. Ive been using sposies that my sister gave me. We have went through and entired Jumbo bag. Now I am out of sposies and I WILL NOT buy them. He has been in prefolds since.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby usually gets a rash while taking antibiotics, so I typically use sposies when he's taking them. Then I can feel free to slather him as much as I need to without taking any special effort on his diapers. It's lazy on my part, however, I don't want a yeast battle, KWIM?

So, I voted sposies.
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other, and my vote is: don't use the ABX! Ear infections usually clear up just fine on their own, and there was a recent study done that showed that the mean time to recovery was no different in babies who were given abx vs. no abx..and babies given abx were more likely to have a recurrence of infection! When Claire had her double ear infection, the doc agreed to a wait and see approach and in the meantime, I put breastmilk in her ears, along w/ a homeopathic ear treatment (oil drops). She was fine in a couple of days. If you don't do the abx and dc is in a lot of pain, obviously Tylenol or equivalent would be useful. Good luck - its hard to hear them cry like that!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After my son had antibiotics a few months ago and they seriously wreacked havoc on his digestion, I did alot of research and I found that many children that are diagnosed with "ear infections" are actually having an allergic reaction to milk and they can easily be cleared up by taking them off milk products for a few days/weeks. Since having his last "diagnosed" ear infection, I think he's had about two or three but we haven't taken him to the doctor and sure enough, no milk products for a few days and it's gone.

BUT to answer your questions, last time he had horrible diarrhea, we used prefolds and covers. They're not as expensive to "replace" if they get stained and it's easier because you will probably be changing him more often. Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My poor little guy has been on amoxocillin and augmentin for ear infections, and right now he's on cephalexin for an infection on his foot caused by his cast. Though all that, he's been in the dipes I'd normally put him in and they've been fine.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo
I voted other, and my vote is: don't use the ABX! Ear infections usually clear up just fine on their own, and there was a recent study done that showed that the mean time to recovery was no different in babies who were given abx vs. no abx..and babies given abx were more likely to have a recurrence of infection! When Claire had her double ear infection, the doc agreed to a wait and see approach and in the meantime, I put breastmilk in her ears, along w/ a homeopathic ear treatment (oil drops). She was fine in a couple of days. If you don't do the abx and dc is in a lot of pain, obviously Tylenol or equivalent would be useful. Good luck - its hard to hear them cry like that!
I agree! DS had an ear infection and the doc said that as long as his temp didn't get over 102, and he seemed to be feeling more himself, that I didn't need to give the yucky antibiotics. I would highly recommend not using the medicine. Ear infections DO clear up on their own and treating with antibiotics just makes the next infection more likely to be treated with meds. You don't want your DS to work up an immunity to antibiotics when he really needs them.

I used breastmilk up his nose to help clear out congestion and it worked miraculously! Also, some infant Tylenol drops work great for fever and general discomfort.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We avoid A/B if at all possible. Most ear infections will clear on their own. We treat pain if needed. No milk, except mom's, lots of fluids, keeping the nose clear, ear candles, benedine drops and some other things I can't think of work well.

If you decide to give A/B make sure to give it all as prescribed. Give acidopholis 3 times a day. I buy the capsules and break them open, pour about 1/3 cap in the mouth or put in a little soft food. I give it about midway between doses and I give it for a good two weeks after the A/B is done. The 2x Zane's been on A/B he's had no problems with upset tummy or icky poops. Both times I did the acidopholis.

If the poops gets icky I'd just line the dipe and use whatever holds it in the best. I don't do sposies, so that isn't an option for me. Use a good barrier cream too- I like UNpetroleum. I line my pockets/other fleece with a cheap piece of fleece. Washcloths or cut up T shirt works too.

Hope your babe is better soon!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote