View Poll Results: Should I stay with velcro or switch back to snaps
Stay with velcro she will stop taking them off soon 7 15.91%
Switch back to snaps 12 27.27%
Just have some of both 25 56.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
ahava'smama
Registered Users

Red face Re: Taking Off Velcro Need Advice

Advertisement

Last edited by ahava'smama; 07-30-2006 at 09:49 AM.
ahava'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
ahava'smama
Registered Users

Re: Taking Off Velcro Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severine
DD does that when I let her walk around in only a covered pf. Drives me crazy as I don't like snaps. What I'm doing? Putting clothes over her velcroed covers, and buying some snaps for when I don't feel like having her in clothes (like when it's 100 degrees this week!).

FWIW, we just returned to CDing after a 5 month hiatus. DD is at a stage where she will not stay still for anything now, and throws horrendous fits during diaper changes. Nothing like trying to pin on a prefold during THAT, then put a cover on. So I feel your pain in trying to get snap dipes on while yours is trying to run in the other direction!
are you pinning? have you tried snappies? they work wonders and are SOOOO much faster!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been trying to get a hold of some Snappis for almost 2 weeks now! I finally found a mama who could sell me 2 so they're on the way!
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4kids
DHs can be so crazy. She thinks it is fun to unfasten her diaper. Sposies use velcro too.
I know lots of sposie kids who take off their dipes. It's just a cool new thing they've learned to do.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 18mos & will undo any diaper, snaps or aplix. I just try to keep a bottom on her if I notice shes trying to take the diapers off.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
Munkey Ciao
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS will take off an aplix dipe, but not a snap one. With pants over his dipe, he leaves either alone. I prefer the snaps because we don't have to use pants with them, but I just try to use pants when I use aplix. Not a big deal... I'd keep both. Maybe the aplix novelty will wear off, and it won't be so fun to remove them.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is only 15months and he can undo anything (snaps, velcro, sposies). He usually plays with the snaps and velcro when hes tired and laying in our arms getting ready to go to sleep....so I would not switch if I was you. We just tell ds no and try to get him to play with other stuff or hold his blanket, just keep something over her diapers or redirect her.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #18
widdletigger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know a lot of kids in disposables who LOVE taking off their diapers. most of the moms I know who have this issue keep a onsie on the kids.

As for why she dosn't take of the disposable, I think the tabs are harder to grab than the ones on a cloth diaper with aplix. So its probly more trouble.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

My 6 mo son just figured out this morning that the velcro on his dipe makes a cool sound when he pulls and *bonus* he ends up naked afterward. I feel confident that this is not a comfort issue (he wouldn't know the difference, it's been so long since he had on a sposie), just a "neato!" issue. Switching to snaps is not an option due to daycare and dh, so now, he just has to wear pants. I hope the novelty does wear off because I can't show off his several cute diapers if he's just going to take them off.

Also, if an 18 mo is uncomfortable - wouldn't she fuss/complain about the cloth - not just take them off?

Someone should sell those belly hugger things they use for pregnancy to pull down over the velcro strips - I know somebody (Drybees?) has a "giggle flap" for that purpose now, but something generic that we all could use for any diaper - maybe a single strip that snapped (in the back?) or a solid circle of spandexy fabric to slide on and push up over the belly during changes. WAHM's?

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #20
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the votes and replies. I have decided to keep my current velcro and I still have some snaps. I think I won't be buying in more velcro for awhile and probably won't reach for it first. Today was diaper laundry day and she wore a couple of velcros without clothes and didn't take them off. I think the key is getting it on good and since she is often running i don't always get on well and I think it can be uncomfortable with pinching her legs.

I have to say that is another good thing about snaps they might be harder to get on but at least you know they are on right once they are snapped. With velcro it is so easy to have the tabs pulled too tight or sideways etc.

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote