Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are anyone else's goodmamas fading?

Something to try is what I do when I prep all my new diaper fabric. I either put them into the washer or a bucket (have a front loader that won't let me extended soak ) put them in cold cold water with a splash of vinegar and a bunch of salt. Stir it up and let it sit for a while. It helps set the color or something. then wash as normal and don't use in dryer for a while.

While it doesn't stop the fading, it seems to help some. NOthing bugs me more than getting beautiful fabric and throwing it in the washer and it comes out looking like its 6 months old

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GREAT tip!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2James&Bean View Post
But after 3 washes? Seriously? I never use additives (neither vinegar nor baking soda), and I dry on medium heat... could that be why? I hang dry my pockets, but I figured it would take days to dry those fitteds. Sigh... I'm going to sell them while they're still reasonable looking *runs and hides*. Only velours for me from now on.
Yeah, on the first few hot washes I'd think. They're just not meant to be washed on hot.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #14
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
But after 3 washes? Seriously? I never use additives (neither vinegar nor baking soda), and I dry on medium heat... could that be why? I hang dry my pockets, but I figured it would take days to dry those fitteds. Sigh... I'm going to sell them while they're still reasonable looking *runs and hides*. Only velours for me from now on.
Most print diapers will fade, and I think us Canadians have really hard water as well, which will make the situation worst. I add Calgon in every wash, but my prints still fade a bit. Nature of the fabric I guess.

Let me know if you decide to sell, I'd be happy to take some off your hands
Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #15
stephaniez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can understand how you feel. I have 6 boyish print goodmamas-- most of them are light backgrounds anyway so I haven't noticed a lot of fading, if any. The jollyroger one hasn't faded, but it is getting a little pilly. I was surprised in the beginning when some of my knit diapers started pilling after just one or two washes-- but at least now I know that it is the nature of the fabric-- although some defintely hold up better than others. Hanging to dry all the way doesn't work for us and when I have airdryed completely-- my diapers were crunchy feeling. So I always use the dryer on low heat. That being said, our goodmamas have probably only been washed a handful of times. I agree that it is quite a lot of money to pay for something that will fade and get pilly, but I guess that's our choice, right? It is nice for future mommas to see these reviews so that they can make an informed decision before making their purchase. I wish I had known this before I went nuts with the prints-- I have no velour ones

Last edited by stephaniez; 11-09-2007 at 07:54 AM.
stephaniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #16
jausten
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Which ones are you going to be selling?

Cotton prints are going to fade in hot washes. It's just the nature of the fabric. Sucks, but all of my Mutts did it, and most of my Peewell's did it. It seems softer to me, so I don't mind.
expecting #2 sept 2010

Last edited by jausten; 11-09-2007 at 07:53 AM.
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

Gah! Shouldn't have mentioned that. I have a buyer already... lol
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #18
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

We've never had a hard water problem here though. *shrug* I know that's not it... That's an awesome tip about the vinegar! I wish I had known I shouldn't wash them on hot. I do a cold rinse first, but I guess it doesn't make a difference. Sigh...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #19
jausten
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you're so upset about this.

From a fabric-buying perspective, you can't tell what fabrics are going to do when you buy them. I bought some for our prefolds, washed it once on hot to shrink it, and it looked fine - so I sewed it onto my prefolds. But after 2-3 more washes, it looks horrible. I had no way of knowing it was going to do that.

I, personally, could never wash my diapers on anything other than hot - I wouldn't feel like they were getting clean.

For future GM buyers, maybe wash on hot and then line dry them. It may take a while to dry, but it might save the fabric from looking worn.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #20
mkkeleher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah. I have 6 prints and 4 have faded, but I don't really mind. They're just diapers! And they are softer after many washes. I have to wash on hot to get them totally clean so if that makes them fade a bit then so be it. I mean, some of the kids clothes fade and we still let them wear them, right?
mkkeleher is offline   Reply With Quote