Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
ishyfishie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do I want to keep all of these?

I need help deciding here! Basically, I found prefold love, so I ordered 3 dozen each of the GMD yellow and brown in addition to the 2 dozen Little Lions infants that I already had. 36 sounded like a nice round number but holy cow, that's a lot of prefolds! My plan was to wash every 3 days, but I think dd only really goes through 7 or 8 diapers during the day and then one at night, so my 24 LLs were holding up okay to that wash schedule. I also had gotten one ME Sandy's, which we really liked (but not as much as prefolds), so I ordered another regular Sandy's, 2 bamboo Sandy's, and 2 organic cotton Sandy's. I like the bamboo and the organic cotton better than the regulars, but again, not as much as prefolds. I'm considering getting another 6 Sandy's (some combination of bamboo and organic cotton) to use as nighttime, "going out" and grandma/daddy diapers, so I'd have a total of 12 Sandy's, 24 Little Lions infant UBIPF, 36 yellow-edge GMD, and 36 brown-edge GMD...plus some other assorted things that will be for sale soon.

Sooo...do you think I should keep all of those prefolds, or should I try to sell a dozen each of the yellow and brown? I don't know how much shipping will be, so I don't know if it's worth it. I've prepped them but have only used one of the yellows so far. I planned to either donate the LLs at some point or keep them to use as doublers, but I know people like the GMD prefolds so if I sell any, those would be the ones to sell! It's not like having a zillion prefolds will make their resale value higher, like having a bigger stash of pockets would so that they have less use per diaper. My other thoughts are dyeing some of them or experimenting with embellishments (I actually really want to sew bamboo velour along the center of some, lol).

What do you think? I'll be listing some other things probably tomorrow, so I don't know if I should add any of the prefolds in!

Advertisement

ishyfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do I want to keep all of these?

You could compromise. You could list them and say if they don't see in a certian about of time (like a month or something), then you experiment on them.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
mom2rays
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you planning for any other children, If so and you truely love them you may want to hold on to them to have for the next baby(s). . .
You could also do what you were thinking, play with them and embelish them and sell off the extras after you are done, etsy, here, open an online store.
You could give them as shower gifts to a friend who wants to cd, or really needs to cd financially.
You could make a diaper cake and sell it on craigslist or here for a shower.
You could go paperless and sew a small symbol on the ones you are using around the house in place of papertowels and napkins.
You could sew some together to make absorbant crib/bedding pads.
You could turn some into prefitteds. . .
so many things to do! good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um, don't sell. This comes from a person with a SERIOUS prefold addiction. I keep buying more prefolds and we aren't making it through all the ones we have by wash day. You can do so many things with prefolds. You really should keep them. And if you dye and embellish them that usually makes their resale value better than say just plain old white prefolds (though those are my faves right now). Just put them aside and if you feel like you have way too much then maybe decide to weed but if I were you I'd hold onto them. I weeded out a bunch of pfs a few weeks ago and now I'm almost back up to what I had because I missed seeing all those fluffy piles of prefolds.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say keep them and experiment. It's unlikely that you'll use the yellows and browns at the same time anyway so 36 of each isn't really all that many.
We have a VERY similar stash (scary how similr it is really! ...and I'll have 2 in cd's soon so add another 3 dozen orange edge GMD and a bunch of fitteds and some pockets to the nb/s stash list!) and it's perfect for us!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't sell personally. If you have more kids you will definitely use them. I find that certain pfs fit better at certain stages. So while you like you ll's now they may not fit as good as the GMD ones at some point and you'll wish you had more of what ever fits the best.

Unless you're completely done having kids and your dd has completely outgrown that size of pf I'd keep them.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
ishyfishie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas, lots to consider. Not completely sure about more babies or when, so I don't know if that'll be the basis of my decision. I definitely need to try the other Sandy's first before I know if we do want more of those and see how many I'm likely to use in a day. Our apartment is pretty small and dd's room is tiny with no closet or really much room for storage, so our gigantic stacks of prefolds aren't as exciting so much as overwhelming, lol.

I think my first step will be trying out the different types of Sandy's, then I think I'll see how many prefolds we go through before I'm ready for laundry day. Now that I have two pail liners, I'm more willing to wash more often! Thank you all for the input though, I'll hold off making a decision for now and will just add them to my FSOT listing later on if that's what we decide on!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'd sell the yellows - for some reason i dont really like the fit ..... -hiding under a bag now - i tried them yesterday on my ds and i think i'm going to sell mine .....
and at the age when we started using brown egdes - 24 diapers typically get us thru 3 days of diapering .....

btw i really like the sandies to use for fast pull up diaper change but only if you have a drier - those things dry AWFUL on my line!

Last edited by negrapy; 11-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.
negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops double post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
ishyfishie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm not as in love with the yellows as I thought I would be, but I think it's just because they're still a bit bigger on her. The Little Lions infants fit her so beautifully, nice and trim, and the yellows are sort of bulky because of the extra width. They yellows aren't hugely bulky on her or anything, but I was so impressed with the trimness of the LLs, that's what really convinced me of the prefold love! I think I WILL love them when she needs that width, I just feel like I still prefer the LLs for now. I need to do more washes on the GMD, I think, to soften them up more, then maybe I'll love them more. I know I ended up washing the Little Lions a LOT because I'd been using Tide and found it was making her red, so every time I washed dirties, I threw the entire pile of prefolds in with the other diapers to wash again, so now they're pretty soft!