View Poll Results: Can no AC in the heat make kids sick?
Yes 36 65.45%
No 11 20.00%
Dunno 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #21
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can having no AC it hot weather make kids sick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Lowes. I got one there for $89 and one for $93. The big one we have cost just a little over $200 and that was from Sams. Check Home Depot too...Walmart sometimes has small cheap ones. When I say small I mean, like big enough for one or two rooms...not big enough for more than that. Our $93 one is 6200 BTU's and is Sharp brand. Our big one is 12000BTU's and is GE.
I'm gonna have to go look again. We went the other day & they had one brand on sale for $192... and they said that was their cheapest (Lowe's). Maybe it's b/c COL is higher here? I dunno but def gonna check again. DH is so against them... explaining our electric bill will be insane but I just don't think so.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #22
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I get migraines from high heat and sick to my stomach. That is a precourser to heat stroke (I think). Being lethargic is a huge problem with the heat as well.

I do hope you can get a window unit at least. Our air conditioning runs constantly these days. It will surely up our monthly budget and it scares me.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #23
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Can you get them out of the house? To a mall, swimming pool, a friends house who has A/C? The no wet dipes is very troubling...Let us know what is happening!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

They can get heatstroke, but it doesn't cause colds. Having A/C is more likely to cause colds due to the re-circulated air(for central systems) and the spreading of germs.

going from cool/cold rooms to hot outside can shock the system and lower the immunity as the body regulates it's temperature.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:

with ohio's humidity, i'd watch for severe dehydration. I know that the county I work in was under a heat advisory untill 6pm tonight... I would be concered with the less wet diapers... maybe increase fluids... sugar free popsicles might help them .... ( every kid loves them ) ... what part of ohio are you in ... I can help you reaserch the warnings for your area....

I know I personally have very bad asthma & allergies and have to have a/c ... its a matter of I can't breathe....

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
Celticcloths
Banned

It's been near record days of 100+ weather here this summer. We actually do NOT open our windows during the day. We keep a close eye on the indoor temp and don't open a single window until it's cooler outside than it is inside. Usually this is at about 6pm. We have no ac, and rarely use fans, we keep all electrical and light use to a minimum, and all shades and blinds drawn, it really doesn't start to get unbearable until about 3pm, even though we are south facing and a mile closer to the sun than most people. Other than that, keep up fluids for everyone, even if it's juice. DS gets about 80% water and 20% juice mixed and drinks it down in seconds. The bath is a good idea too, if you're kid is one to take them without a huge fight. We fill up a bucket or the sink and let DS play, since he is suddenly scared of baths.
Celticcloths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #27
viiolet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ditto Celticcloths I get up and shut all windows and blinds around 5 am. We keep 1 fan on low to circulate the air and start turning it up around 2-3. We don't open windows until it's cooler outside than in. So far it's been working well for us this summer with just a couple of unbearably hot days thrown in. Those days I hosed the kids off with cold water and stuck them in the room with the fan on. That kept them cool enough until it started to cool off some.

I also made some of these and keep them in a jar in the fridge. They help get us through the heat of the day.

Ruth ~ 7, Jotham ~ 5, Caleb ~ 3, Evan ~ 8 mo
viiolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #28
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticcloths
We actually do NOT open our windows during the day. We keep a close eye on the indoor temp and don't open a single window until it's cooler outside than it is inside.
We generally do this as well, but it hasn't worked the past few days b/c it's never really cooled off at night I think it's mostly the humidity that's making it worse.

DS did have a wet dipe a few hours ago, but none since. We went to the beach, got ice cream, played in the tub... my older (2.5) is acting ok & he's asleep right now. It's the 6 mo old that worries me the most w/the diaper issue. He's asleep now too... we'll see in the morning. Just praying for cool weather! Haha yeah right... doesn't look like it in the forecast. I got him to BF a little & he ate some carrots.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #29
Shaysbabygirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something else you may want to try, and I know it LOOKS funny, but it works GREAT is foil. YOu can put foil on your windows and it will block out the heat of the sun. You can keep the windows open at night, and then wake up early and shut everything up, and then it should help it stay cool. I HAVE to have an AC. we're in central texas, and our AC went out and was out for almost 1 1/2 weeks. Our rental management company kept sending some guy out here, and it would work for a couple hours and then stop. It was MISERABLE! the way our duplex is set up, we have no crosswind, and the air just wasn't going anywhere, even with all the fans going! My girls were very thirsty though, so that was good!

HUGS!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #30
Shaysbabygirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma
We generally do this as well, but it hasn't worked the past few days b/c it's never really cooled off at night I think it's mostly the humidity that's making it worse.

DS did have a wet dipe a few hours ago, but none since. We went to the beach, got ice cream, played in the tub... my older (2.5) is acting ok & he's asleep right now. It's the 6 mo old that worries me the most w/the diaper issue. He's asleep now too... we'll see in the morning. Just praying for cool weather! Haha yeah right... doesn't look like it in the forecast. I got him to BF a little & he ate some carrots.

I understand that! I hate it when i wake up in the morning (6:30am) and it's still 80! I'm sad because i'm already sick of the heat, and it's not even AUGUST yet