Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Orange
Registered Users

Re: Prefolds alone??

Prefolds are cleraly the cheapest. And, as I've just recently discovered, they go a loong way because there is no elastic to wear off. My PF still look brand new after 19 mo of use.
There might be several issues with PFs though. Our biggest one was rashes. DD had tons when she was a baby and the only thing that worked was fleece. Now, you can use fleece covered inserts on top of that PF, but try to diaper a wiggly baby with a PF and insert and you might end up with a nervous breakdown by the end of every single day.
I also used to be out of the house a lot when DD was a baby and for obvious reasons fitted diapers came much handier.

I know it's hard to decide. I've spent hours looking online and finding the perfect system. I ended up with a lot of different diapers, to confuse DH even more. :-) In the end I found my system, but it cost me altogether.. $600. Over 19 mo is still better then disposables, but some moms can diaper a baby from birth to potty training with only $100 if they buy just PFs and covers.

Oh, and if you use wool covers or longies you don't need a cover. The wool longies will be your cover and the pants at the same time. Voila!

Good Luck!

Advertisement

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #12
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

We love our prefolds! I have a whole bunch of pockets and aio's that hardy ever get any love. They are usually only for going out and even then I use pf's half the time. I love how dd doesn't get red ouchy marks on her chubby thighs like she did when wearing fitteds. Also, I don't worry about poo staining like I would if I had really cute (and expensive) fitteds. Prefolds are so cheap if they are badly stained then I can always use them for other things later like car washing rags and cleaning rags. Save the money and buy really cute covers or nice wool instead! When dd was a newborn we used prowraps for covers but I have since found wool and love it. It's all we wear at home over prefolds. I like knowing when she's wet, and I can get that with the wool covers without feeling a soggy bum like I would if she were coverless. But be warned, wool is an addiction unto itself! I took up knitting just so I could buy cute yarn!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07

Last edited by lulusmom; 11-09-2007 at 03:31 AM.
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #13
PeanutButter'sMommy
T the Terrible Two
seller

My DS is in a GMD premium (brown-edge) prefold as we speak with no cover lol. So YES, it can be done! LOL. We don't do it that often though only because he is 21 months old and is a running jumping crazy monkey. So it's hard to keep a tight fold on him through all that.

For covers we really like wool interlock pull-on soakers.
Robyn, Mommy to T , wife to Shawn TTC #2!!!
PeanutButter'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Yep, my nearly 3 year old wears premium prefolds stuffed with a preemie prefold all day long. BUT I always put a cover on her now. I never used to because it was nice to change her immediately when she was wet. But she's nearly 3 and she knows how snappi's work and she will sometimes take off her diaper or she'll try to take off the snappi to put a prefold on her baby or she'll be climbing and hook herself to someone or something. It's just safer if she's in a cover too. We use either wool pants, proraps, or thirsties. The proraps fit her the best right now. But as a smaller babe the bummis super whisper wrap fit her the best over prefolds.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
kristiashley
Registered Users

My Mood:

We love our prefolds too and often go coverless. My fave covers are interlock soakers/longies, recycled wool, and BSWW.

Kristi, WAHM to three lovely little ones, DD (8) and DS (5) and DS (3).
kristiashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #16
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a prefold on my dd alone during the day. I'm in the process of building up my stash of RPs though from a ds mama. It makes the prefold much more absorbant. The only time I use a cover or longies is when we go somewhere or at night.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #17
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2EandA View Post
You can pin or snappi a prefold and go coverless around the house. I do that with my ds all the time. You would want a cover for going out though. You use a 'doubler' for more absorbency when you need it (naps, night, long trips). A lot of people just use the next prefold size down tri-folded inside the bigger prefold. There are some great posts in red at the top that will give you pictures and more links.

ETA: yes, prefolds are generally less expensive. You can get a baker's dozen at www.keenbambino.com for the price of 1 pocket. Most of mine are from there, but I also have a few brown edge and 1 yellow edge from www.greenmountaindiapers.com They are cut wider and shorter which makes for a nice fit, but shipping is steep. She also has some great illustrations.
ooo those prices are fantastic! How well do they absorb and work??
irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #18
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you're looking to save money, we first started with Prorap covers and after trying several other, these are still my favorites. I use these with a premium prefold. We also have a few pockets for overnight (and long car rides) that I stuff with a prefold.
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #19
heidip2p
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just have to say you mamas' are all AMAZING. I know you guys are busy too...so taking the time to explain some of these things is just awesome. I can't thank you enough.
THANK YOU, Heidi
heidip2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
NAJLMOMMY
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I've used prefolds alone and used them to stuff pockets
I prefer hemp or microfiber to stuff pocket much trimmer

Pockets are about the cost of prefold if you sew your own
NAJLMOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote