Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I need me a pep talk, please!

Please, some one, anyone give me some words of advice or just a good all around pep talk about bfing!!

I have been bfing for aboyt 7 1/2 months now. I *thought* ds was trying to wean, so I started to give him some bottles during the day and bfing at nap time and during the night. He acts so distracted during the day, it is so hard to feed him. However, I was reading on kellymom and it says that this is normal for them to be so distracted.

So, I changed my mind. I dont want to wean. I want to make it to a year and beyond. Is my supply completely ruined??? We still do bf at least a couple times during the day and then most of the night. Please someone give me some encouraging words (you've been there and it all works out in the end) or something!!! Please! I am desperate for some encouragement!!!

Advertisement

cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need me a pep talk, please!

Oh yes, it's completely normal for them to get distracted like that! No, I highly doubt that you've jacked up your supply permanently. My suggestion would be to gradually eliminate the bottles that you've started giving him, by replacing them with nursing. It takes about 24-72 (one to three days) hours for your supply to catch up. So, replace a bottle with nursing, wait a couple days, and then replace another one.

Have faith in your body. Your body knows how to nourish and grow a baby!
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, where are all the bf supporters???

Here I am! You can still do it. As long as baby seems happy at the breast, I say keep going. FWIW, my 6 mo old nurses about 5-8 minutes every 2-3 hours during day, will go a loooooong 5 hour stretch usually between 7 am and noon.

Okay, and it *is* normal for babies this age to be distracted. I nursed DS1 for 35 mos, DS2 for 30 mos, and DS3 is only 6 mos so, of course, still nursing And, I tell everyone, my boys seemed to "subsist" on breastmilk for the better part of the first 2 years of their lives. They had table foods/solids, but I don't know how they would have survived if they didn't continue nursing.

Hang in there!!

ETA: You may not feel "full" anymore between feedings either as your body becomes more efficient at producing just the right amount of milk for your LO.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 11-11-2007 at 08:03 PM.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
dkmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep - you can totally do it! I agree with the other posts. Just keep on a goin' Your babe just has a lot of things he wants to see and do. If you're able to, nursing in a quiet room with low lighting can help a lot. And he may want to nurse extra for a while to get your supply back to where he needs it.
Good luck mama!
dkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you so much!! Is it normal for them to go like 4-6 hours between feedings?? During the day it seems that he can go a long time between feedings, even with a bottle. But he eats a lot at night. Maybe he has reversed his feeding schedule.

Anyways, thank you so much for all the encouragement!! Do you have any advice on what you did when they became so distracted? How did you get them to focus?
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I think as long as he is nursing well at night, going 4-6 hours during the day is fine. My son does exactly that now, except he's 13 months old (very little solids, too.)

You can try nursing him in a dark, quiet room with minimal distractions.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
mamapickle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do it! You can do it!

Yes, you've gotten good advice already about replacing bottlefeedings with bf. As for distracted feedings, I agree that it helps to feed baby in a quiet, darkish space with few distractions...although that's sometimes impossible in real life situations! My DD liked to hang on to a nursing necklace while she nursed sometimes...it gave her something to look at and play with while eating. 4-6 hours b/t feedings during the day is longer than my children went between feedings at that age...what does he do when you offer to nurse during that time? Encouraging him to nurse frequently for a while, even if just a few minutes, might boost your supply and remind him to eat more often.

I think it's great that you are wanting to go on with your bf relationship. I think you will be very glad that you did. Nursing in the toddler years (1 and beyond) is a wonderful experience for mama and babe. Best of luck to you!
mamapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

NO, your supply is not ruined!

Here is what works/worked for me when my supply is flagging:

*Continue to nurse, no matter whether or not there seems to be milk, even if it is only for a few minutes because the little one is distracted.

*A couple of hours after the little one goes to bed, pump for at least 5-10 minutes on each side. At first, you will not get anything, but gradually your boobs get "used" to the pumping and your supply will increase to meet this added demand.

*Nurse first thing in the morning, when baby is still sleepy and very very hungry from a long night of rest!

*Increase your intake of fluids, even if you drink plenty now.

*Have a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast--oatmeal is a lactation booster!

I hope that my advice helps. You can do this! I know of several mothers who were able to relactate MONTHS after completely weaning their children. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I, for one, am proud that you are trying to do this for your baby! I am not trying to sound condescending--I just think that moms who try really hard to BF successfully deserve to hear that. You're doing a wonderful thing for your child AND your family!
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
julucas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add that in my experience, the amount of breastmilk your dc is receiving is not the only benefit of continuing bfing. It is such a special and wonderful gift for your baby!! The only time you will be able to give him that gift is now. My dd is 12 months old. Right now she nurses about 3 times a day. She eats well otherwise and takes other beverages from a sippy cup at meal times. But the time we spend together nursing is priceless. I know she is not sustaining her life on breastmilk right now, but to see her calm and quieted a few times a day while she nurses is more than words can describe. That special bonding time will be over someday, but for now it continues and I am so grateful! You are doing a great job! Try to not stress too much about the amount of milk he gets. Just makes sure he's full and happy. And if you want you can take fenugreek or the likes for a week or two. I recommend 3 capsules of fenugreek 4 times a day to get your supply revved back up.

Julie
Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
bellsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with everyone else. Oatmeal and fenugreek work wonders. Get a nursing necklace. You will really enjoy breastfeeding in the upcoming months when you just want a quiet snuggle time with baby. My first DD stopped cuddling as much when I quit breastfeeding her and I really missed our special time together. You are doing something great for you and the babe.