Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Owwwwie raw nipple

My DS just cut his 4 top teeth and I was nursing him tonight and it HURT. So much so, that I finally had to take him off the breast, and I looked down and I've got a raw spot on my nipple, where his teeth have rubbed the skin right off! He hasn't bitten me, I didn't even feel this happening!

What do I do to make this heal? Is this to be expected now that my DS has top teeth? I had cracked nipples when my DS was newborn and gritted my teeth through that while they healed, but when there are sharp teeth in the equation, it's another type of pain!

Advertisement

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Owwwwie raw nipple

Keeping it dry should aid with healing. Nipple soreness due to teething is a tempoary discomfort. It sounds to me baby doesn't have a proper latch. With a proper latch a child with teeth can still nurse and mom doesn't feel it. Please check your latch. During a normal nursing relationship the latch can change as the child get older. Just gently break the suction and relatch. Child will get the idea.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
sattoritx
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with pp momma a child with a proper latch wouldn't cause discomfort.
My lo #4 has 2 top and 2 bottom teeth and I never felt them come in. Check your latch and don't get discouraged, you will get past this.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I've noticed he doesn't put a whole lot of areola in his mouth when he's nursing so I tried to stuff (lol) a bit more in when he opened his mouth but he just pulled back so there was just a bit in again. I don't feel his teeth on me (I don't have overly sensitive nipples), but obviously they are rubbing!

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
theswampwitch
Registered Users

My Mood:

If there is broken skin, I highly recommend using aloe from the plant. Gel and skin. I have burned my nipple twice in the past year...guess those nursing bosoms are a little bigger than I expect...and with diligent application of the gel and skin of the aloe, I heal very quickly. Just use some medical tape to keep the skin of the plant in place. You will likely not get lo to nurse with the application on, but in between nursings it will help you heal.
theswampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote