Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Tess
Registered Users
seller

Question Ready for solids?

Baby just turned 3 months, but she seems really hungry. She's a pretty big baby and I don't know if I'm producing enough milk for her. Has anyone started this early or do you have any good advice?
Tess

Advertisement

Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ready for solids?

I did w/DS#1 & I'll be honest, I totally wish I hadn't. He has always been bigger & super piggy - even now at almost 3 yo. It's one of those "wish I'd known then what I know now" type things. I started him b/c the ped suggested it since he was so hungry, etc. Now that I look back he clearly wasn't ready (couldn't totally tell me he was full by turning away, still had that tongue reflex, etc). Anyway, I waited until DS#2 was 6 months & it was like perfect - he was ready, swallowed fine, etc. I wonder now if DS#1's food allergies have anything to do w/me starting early, but who knows... may be a coincidence.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of other mammas have FB for you. That's just my experience, but I wouldn't start that early from having already done it once.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
laprettygurl
Registered Users

If you're nursing her as often as she wants then you're probably producing enough for her. It's a supply/demand thing. You said she's nice and big. Mama milk is the best thing for her right now.

If she seems extra hungry it just might be a growth spurt.

I delayed solids until 12 months.

Ebay feedback MDC feedback
Actually 53 lbs! lol
laprettygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Hannah wasn't interested in solids until she was about 7months or so. I tried at 6 and she wasn't interested. I wouldn't recommend solids quite yet because her digestive system isn't going to be mature enough for that until she's closer to 6 months. Hannah also nursed almost constantly for about 3 months, but it slows down after awhile.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

3 months is a common time for a growth spurt. Just keep nursing her on demand and your body will produce all she needs.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Tess
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for your feedback. I realized that I wasn't letting her comfort nurse because she keeps clamping down on my nipple and so I wasn't producing as much. I'm just gritting my teeth and baring with it now. I will definitely hold off for much longer. Thank you!
Tess
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
Kellyd
Registered Users

Definately hold off. Their little tummies aren't designed to digest even the thinnest cereals until they are much older- like around 5 to 6 months.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Eliza-Bella
Registered Users

I have a big chubby baby and the same thing happened to me. She's probably just having a growth spurt and will nurse a lot to increase your supply. That's how it's supposed to work!! My DD didn't start solids consistently until a month or so ago. She's healthy and plump. No need for anything but mama's milkies for a long time....
Eliza-Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP's. With DD she was always a chunky baby and I started thin cereal with her around 4 months because all my in-laws and "experienced" family kept telling me she needed solids to keep her full and satisfied and that BMilk wasn't enough for her. While she did eat it with no problems, I didn't find that she acted any fuller or satisfied. I really regretted giving in, mostly because I had decided originally to wait until 6 mos for solids.

Also, DS is a pretty big baby (I think he was in the 95th pctile at his 2 month appt), and he nurses quite a lot. But with DD, I got a lot of comments from people like, "what are you feeding her, how much does she eat," etc. I even had a man at church tell me I needed to put her on a diet! And she was smaller than DS is now! But I knew when I was EBFing her, that I wasn't just, like, overfeeding her or anything. I mean, she wasn't chubby because I was giving her Twinkies or anything! And I at least had some comfort in that knowledge. Now with DS, my mother is already asking when I'm going to start him on solids, and I'm not in any hurry. I'd say, he has plenty of time to eat solids, just enjoy this time and take comfort knowing you're helping protect him from allergies and giving him extra immunities now when he really needs it.

And DS is currently 3 months, too, and definitely going through a growth spurt!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Nikel1979
Registered Users

I agree to wait to, as 3 months os a typical growth spurt time. Just nurse on demand and supply will catch up in a few days.

I was just pondering this though. I can't tell you how often I hear mamas wondering if they should start solids early for their big baby. My ds has always been at the top of the charts, and my dd is barely clinging to the bottom, if even on the charts. When I compare how much they ate after starting solids, they both ate pretty much the same amounts. Also, my ds was ff after only a month, and my dd is still bf. They both ate just as frequently as infants, and starting solids had no effect on sleep or nursing/bottle frequency. (I bottle-nursed on demand.) I know not everyone's child/experience is the same, but I just thought that was interesting once I started really thinking about it.