Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Users
Going to donate...need info

Since I just found out my son cannot have my breast milk due to his Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorder I have decided to donate it. I found another military wife about 3 hours away that is going to be undergoing cancer treatments in december that I will be donating to. Her LC said that she will need between 24-30 oz a day. I am currently working on getting my supply back up as it has only been 4 days since i last breastfed it should get back up there fast. Okay the questions....

If I pump milk at the hospital tomorrow how long can it stay at room temp before I freeze it?

When she is driving it home will it survive in a cooler with a bunch of ice packs for 3 hours?

For one months supply of milk how much room and how big of a freezer will I need? (I plan on getting a statement from the doctor so that housing will give us a freezer, I just don't want to get one that is to big and takes up a bunch of space, I can empty my freeze completely and just use our small german one is this enough room?)

Will it hurt if I don't pump at night?

Any other advice?

*Tarah* "Mom-ma" to Dallas Oct. '07 & Coen June '09
Missing their Daddy who is currently deployed

Last edited by tarah1218; 11-12-2007 at 03:58 PM.
tarah1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Going to donate...need info

Bless you for doing this. Iíd try to bring an icepack and a small cooler to put the milk in so that its kept as fresh as possible. You can keep milk at room temp for 6-8h but then you loose some/most of its frozen shelf life.

If the milk is frozen, pack it in as tight as you can into the cooler w/newspaper for insulation. It should be just fine for a 3h drive.

As far as how big a freezer to get, it really depends. I can get 12 bags of frozen milk containing 4-6oz each into a gallon ziplock bag. I do this for a variety of reasons- keeps the milk together by date, and protects the somewhat fragile milk bags and the milk from freezer burn. Each bag is about 4in wide by however tall (it bulges out).

Btw, while I donít agree w/selling the milk, the recipient should be reimbursing you for any costs Ė the bags to store the milk, the cost for the freezer, the rental on your pump if youíre renting.

I hope your son does well on his formula youíre doing an amazing thing for this family.
Retired milkshare donor -Nearly 1700 oz of ebm donated
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote