Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down Spoke to soon. YI is worse today....(coverless)

Asher's yeast was looking almost healed yesterday. We have been batteling his YI for atleast 6 weeks. It is worse again today. I am at my wits end. I'm using prefolds snappi'd today instead of fitteds. I used the twist fold and it works great. Someone yesterday said thatis what worked for them (prefolds uncovered).

We have tried everything and Ped perscribed nystatin powder now to try and rid him of this. It is beyond me. A while ago someone here suggested grapefruit seed oil and that made it worse diluted and applied to the skin, but I dropped a few drops in his water each day and that doesn't help either.

The funny thing is, between yesterday and today I have become more appreciative of my fitteds and prefolds. I have him in a tie dyed prefold coverless right now and it is as cute as any fancy dipe we have! I'm gonna have to dye me somemore of these.

Anyway, I'm open to any natural remedies you have for yeast. Coverless and baths is where we are at with nystatin powder, but I'd love new ideas...

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spoke to soon. YI is worse today....(coverless)

Gential violet (my spellings way off) I heard works really well! But will turn bums and diapers purple so you will want to you PF when using this. Or liners. Call pharmacy most should have it
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi, I am not sure if you use animal products...& was hesitant to suggest this yesterday just in case.Plain yogurt fed to him & as a cream on the diaper area.The natural enzymes will help. and doing it oral and topical should show signs in a day or 2. it must be the plain not the fruity ones however you can add fruit to it

it will be cool and sooth the area as well
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
shell015
Banned
seller

Give him yogart any flavor you think he might like. It will heal it up in just a few days... Usually 48 hours. But it depends on the severity. I am suprised the pedi didn't suggest this.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
aschrimp
Registered Users

Our DS had a really stubborn yeast rash - it took us a couple months to get rid of it completely, and it still (months later) threatens to reappear occasionally.

We gave probiotics daily (more concentrated than yogurt, and minus the dairy, which ds is allergic to). I also took them daily so he would get them through my milk.

Gentian Violet - applied twice a day to the entire rashy area and dried with a blow drier to help it "stick". Although it looked like it would stain my prefolds (and everything else) something awful, I don't have a single one that stayed purple longer than a couple washes.

Nakey time - I put down a big blanket and a couple towels on top, and let him hang out naked for a couple hours a day. I just pulled the towels when he peed and replaced.

Extra diaper rinses. I added on another two rinses to the diapers, and that was also when I started using vinegar. We tried the grapefruit seed oil, but it seemed to irritate his skin.

I tried nystatin cream, and it just made him raw and blistered, so I stopped it. It took a couple weeks doing all of this daily to see real improvement. But it did clear up, and hasn't been back since (although I've been worried a few times).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
aschrimp
Registered Users

Also - we went coverless all day, changing the second he was wet. And we switched to fleece at night for better breathability.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduckies
Hi, I am not sure if you use animal products...& was hesitant to suggest this yesterday just in case.Plain yogurt fed to him & as a cream on the diaper area.The natural enzymes will help. and doing it oral and topical should show signs in a day or 2. it must be the plain not the fruity ones however you can add fruit to it

it will be cool and sooth the area as well
Vegans eat soy yogurt, and it can work the same except for one thing...Soy yogurts have sugar in them which makes yeast worse... So we can't do that...

Anything we try has to be animal product and cruelty free. The nystatin is synthetic but I'm sure the company is not cruelty free and I don't like using it for one minute. I need something else. Thanks so much to you and the following poster about this.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp
Also - we went coverless all day, changing the second he was wet. And we switched to fleece at night for better breathability.
Everything you wrote is exactly what we have been going through. I'm gonna try GViolet. We are coverless in the days and I too am switching to fleece at night.

I'm gonna take non dairy acidophlus and hope it goes through my breast milk to him. I have never heard of proboitics. What are they? Is it like acidophlus? Acidophlus contains the same cultures in yogurts and they have a non dairy vegan one made by Solgar.

Did this YI experience help you apprecaite coverless diapering better? Did you change your stash at all since it (prevention wise of another YI)?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probiotics is good bacteria like acidiophilus! What I take when we have thrush
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel
Probiotics is good bacteria like acidiophilus! What I take when we have thrush
Thanks! I so didn't want to go the GV route, but if tomorrow it doesn't look better I'm guessing we might.