Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
School worries...

Well, Letme say i KNOW i am not the first mom tosend her kid out hte door to kindergarten. but it is effecting me greatly.

I registered my dd for indergarted on monday. I set her up for half day school, in which she gets out at 1030. I ca handle that. Well, on thurday i get a call, from the principal, and she tells me they no longer havehalfday, all they have is allday. 8-2. HOW ON EARTH!! I cannot send my childout hte door for 6 hours a day. especially to kndergarten. She is going to besoo bored. I have been Home schooling herfor 2 years and she is reading some, and doing addition and subtraction up to 10. I know not a huge accomplishemnt, but i think for a child entering kindergarten it is.
So nw what. I told hte principal my concrens and she tells me about gifted kindergarten. WTH is that. They color INSIDE the lines?? I am like whatever....

I looked into 3 charter schools today,a dn i am NOT impressed!! I think no matterwhere she goes, she will be bored. SO I want to have her tested for 1st grade.I wish they had a K1 there, but they dont. I never went tokndergarten.i went to k1 andturned out just fine.

I told the pricipal i wanted her tested forplacemtn.I guess the teacher will do that the 2-3 week of school. well see... I figure if hse has to go all dy, she may as well go to 1st grade..

I cannot homeschool and feel goodabout with mycurrent situation. I actaully right nowfeel the public schools will do better with her than i can. and htat is saying alot, becasue i hate the public schools.

anyway, this is so hard on me. I have no idea how i will survive or how i should push this... I dont think mydd is "gifted" i think she is a bit advanced and only becaseu i taught her for 2 yearstodo things...

Oh and a side note....

She haslearned to tie her won shoes... what is next??she will be driving!!!!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: School worries...

it seems like they're willing to work with you. Tell us more about the gifted kindergarten.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter was reading, writing, could do some math...all before Kindergarten.

She did only go half day.

It was the MOST WONDERFUL experience she has ever had. She blossomed in Kindergarten, she was never happier. Turns out, her friends are her life.

In Our district (all districts are different) Just the regular half day class, the kids were all.....

Reading by Halloween.
They learned the first 11 phonograms by Easter.
Doing spelling tests by Easter
Writing in their journals by the second week of school, even those who could not write were at least drawing, and dictating their stories.

They were doing book reports each month. Oral book reports.

They were doing simple math, but not just adding and subtracting. They were doing simple fractions and Geomitry.

They had to be able to go to the office with a note, and return with a note (alone) They had to be able to go (alone) to the cafeteria and bring back the milk bucket. They went alone to another teacher's class and passed on information. ETC

They had to be able to tie their shoes, cross the monkey bars, Jump rope, hop on one foot.

They had to be able to cut out intricate pictures and glue it in the correct spot.

They had to be able to COMPLETELY potty themselves, That meant buckling their own pants, tucking in their own shirts. Wiping their own bottoms.

I was shocked on the first day of school when a Mom walked in (this still cracks me up) with a Blues Clues kushie toilet seat and diaper wipes. ROTFLMAO!! She was stunned and angry to find out that the teacher would not be helping little centeroftheuniverse in the bathroom.

I personally think that Kindergarten is more about learning how to go to school than it is about the academics. Kindergarten is the last fun year they will ever have again.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
My daughter was reading, writing, could do some math...all before Kindergarten.

She did only go half day.

It was the MOST WONDERFUL experience she has ever had. She blossomed in Kindergarten, she was never happier. Turns out, her friends are her life.

In Our district (all districts are different) Just the regular half day class, the kids were all.....

Reading by Halloween.
They learned the first 11 phonograms by Easter.
Doing spelling tests by Easter
Writing in their journals by the second week of school, even those who could not write were at least drawing, and dictating their stories.

They were doing book reports each month. Oral book reports.

They were doing simple math, but not just adding and subtracting. They were doing simple fractions and Geomitry.

They had to be able to go to the office with a note, and return with a note (alone) They had to be able to go (alone) to the cafeteria and bring back the milk bucket. They went alone to another teacher's class and passed on information. ETC

They had to be able to tie their shoes, cross the monkey bars, Jump rope, hop on one foot.

They had to be able to cut out intricate pictures and glue it in the correct spot.

They had to be able to COMPLETELY potty themselves, That meant buckling their own pants, tucking in their own shirts. Wiping their own bottoms.

I was shocked on the first day of school when a Mom walked in (this still cracks me up) with a Blues Clues kushie toilet seat and diaper wipes. ROTFLMAO!! She was stunned and angry to find out that the teacher would not be helping little centeroftheuniverse in the bathroom.

I personally think that Kindergarten is more about learning how to go to school than it is about the academics. Kindergarten is the last fun year they will ever have again.

SOunds like you are in a MUCH betterschool district that i am. About half thei kids in my area dont peak english. And the governer passed a law, that prohibits the teaching ofnon english speaking children, outside of the regualr classroom. I feel stronlgy that becaseu of this law. my childwill leanr very litle, since hte teacher is foreced to teach the nonenglish speakingchildren english, during the regualr class day.
I also dontthink that kindergarten is that last year they have fun. It is always fun around here.and i dont see the point of putting her in kindergarten to learnhow to do school. She knows. We attend church 3 hours a week, and she is EXTRMEMELYreverent, folding her arms andsitting quietly. In the homschoolgroup we were in, she was the best,( according to the other moms, notme) at sitting, raising her hands, cutting and pasting, and following directions.She gets it. She is one of those that just gets it.I feel that some kids dont need kidnergarten which is part of the reason why it is not state mandated..

That is why i want to test her into first grade. She is already reading, adn she is doing math as of today with carry overs. like 63 + 19 and she is doing great. We are startibg on muliplication tables tomorrow. i just bought her flash cards to memorize them.

Frankly I would be kinda pissed if my child at 5 years old was sent to the office by her self without an adult or a parner at least.. I dont let her check the mail unless i stand on the porch. and my mailbox is at the end of my driveway...
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth
Frankly I would be kinda pissed if my child at 5 years old was sent to the office by her self without an adult or a parner at least.. I dont let her check the mail unless i stand on the porch. and my mailbox is at the end of my driveway...
Well, that is outside. This school is completely indoors. I liked having her learn to be self sufficient.

As for not having fun. Seriously, this district is all about work. I love that she has learned so much, but I think they take it too far sometimes. Other school districts have fun rallys or contests to see who can read the most books then dunk their principal in pudding. Not here.

I am sorry your district is not able to meet your needs. Are other districts in the area better? Can you choose? Otherwise, can't you just homeschool one more year? That way you can get her ready for second grade yourself, and she will have all the test scores already, and they can't argue.

Wanted to add....
Quote:
Frankly I would be kinda pissed if my child at 5 years old was sent to the office by her self without an adult or a parner at least.. I dont let her check the mail unless i stand on the porch. and my mailbox is at the end of my driveway
If she skips Kindergarten, she WILL be going to the office alone, she WILL be going to the bathroom alone, she WILL be carrying her own lunch tray. It doesn't matter that she is five, she will be a 1st grader, and she will have all the 1st grade responsibilities. They expect the same from all the kids.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 07-31-2006 at 05:53 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, that is outside. This school is completely indoors. I liked having her learn to be self sufficient.

As for not having fun. Seriously, this district is all about work. I love that she has learned so much, but I think they take it too far sometimes. Other school districts have fun rallys or contests to see who can read the most books then dunk their principal in pudding. Not here.

I am sorry your district is not able to meet your needs. Are other districts in the area better? Can you choose? Otherwise, can't you just homeschool one more year? That way you can get her ready for second grade yourself, and she will have all the test scores already, and they can't argue.

Can i ask what your school district is?? I am in peoria. which is a top ranked school district, but they have to followlaws about ELL.

My daughter is very self sufficient. just becaseu i dontlet her check the mail, and i dont want her walking alone,doenst mean she is not. I am soo worried that someone will drive by and take her. that is my reasoning. I know you cant put your kids in a bubble. But seriously, i would die if i lost her.
Also her elementry school was on the news a few month back, talking about how some transients were giving meth to the kids.I really dont want her to be apart of that.
The closest district to me is washington, which has major issues IMO. If my choice was washington or nothing. it would be nothing...

I would love to homeschool her for another year. BUT i just dont see that beign fair. Though, thru this i am talking myself into it. Between, dealing with mornign scikness at the begingin ofhte yearforabout 3 months,then the last 3 months will be a new baby, i just think she will get th short end. AND she is the only one of my kids i feel i could home school. I know i could not homeschool my 4yo, and i am unsure of my 2 yo, becaseu she is such a 2 yo LOL

It just sucks having to make these decisions....
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I think you should maybe have her evaluated and see where they think she should be placed...

The following is just an example, I am in NO way saying that you aren't dead on with your daughter's ability, etc...this is just a reason why I think an outside opinion can be good.

I am the (new) Director's Assistant at our church's preschool (2 day/weeK)...I had a new mom in our church ask me about registration, get a packet, etc. She told me that her daughter was really advanced for her age (she is 3) - that she could write her name, knew all the letters and their sounds, was a pre-reader, etc, etc...she wanted to know if she would be able to work ahead, or move up a class or something. I told her that we generally don't do that, that our program is much more about social learning and skills at 3 than academics (although we do teach A LOT for a church program). SO - her DD was in my Sunday school class on Sunday. She had never played with play-doh, couldn't work a puzzle, hadn't the FIRST clue what a glue stick was or how to glue paper, has trouble taking turns, sitting at the table (for a 5 min snack), etc. She will definitely thrive in preschool, but she definitely doesn't need to move up!

That being said, I am sure you have exposed your DD to all sorts of learning, esp if you were in a homeschooling group. I just agree with the PP about moving her ahead a grade, because she will be treated like the bigger kids. She will also ALWAYS be the youngest in her class, esp with how so many boys are held back and are older when they start school nowadays. I actually repeated Kindergarten (way back in 1980) and was so much better for it - I, too, was an early reader, had the early math skills, etc, but socially I was not ready for first grade - it is a big jump from kindergarten! Because of being held back, I was always a leader, always the oldest, always a responsible, good student.

Sorry for the length of my post, it is just something I am very passionate about (early childhood ed) and I know how close it is to your heart!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Well you know we're kind of in the same position, only I want to keep DS home, and DH isn't thrilled with the idea.

Right now, the best I can do, is to let him go, and see how it goes. If he's bored, or hates it, he'll come back home. I have no doubt in my ability to teach him. I just want school to be a positive experience for him, no matter where he is.

I don't have to register him until tomorrow, and it's going to be SO hard to do that. I'm really going to have to force myself to get it done Open house is on the 15th. I plan on making DH go to that... and I'm hoping it will change his mind.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Wanted to add....

If she skips Kindergarten, she WILL be going to the office alone, she WILL be going to the bathroom alone, she WILL be carrying her own lunch tray. It doesn't matter that she is five, she will be a 1st grader, and she will have all the 1st grade responsibilities. They expect the same from all the kids.

Well, i guess that is why i am joining the board the first day of school. I think with the predators ourchildren deal with on a daily basis in the real world. No little girl or boy should be walking alone outside. I know i cant bethe oNLY one who feels this way.... If i find out that the school is sending 5 and 6 yos off by themselves. I will pull er out of school. I have no problemwiht her carrying her lunch tray,( though she wil be fed from home, not crap the school feeds), and I dont have worries aobut her going potyt, BUT It is a well known fact taht pedophiles willsit outside schools, and wait ofr an opportunity.

I do not feel i am out of line, for wanting a watchful eye on my 5 yo. When iw as in first grade ( never needed K) we had a buddy system, where we walked to the bathroom, or the office in pairs. When i was in 4th grade, the same thing. You can never be too carful, and consiering thatwas 20 years ago, and there wasnt nearly the crime that there is now, I think the same precautions should be observed....
Old 07-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdpn
I think you should maybe have her evaluated and see where they think she should be placed...

The following is just an example, I am in NO way saying that you aren't dead on with your daughter's ability, etc...this is just a reason why I think an outside opinion can be good.

I am the (new) Director's Assistant at our church's preschool (2 day/weeK)...I had a new mom in our church ask me about registration, get a packet, etc. She told me that her daughter was really advanced for her age (she is 3) - that she could write her name, knew all the letters and their sounds, was a pre-reader, etc, etc...she wanted to know if she would be able to work ahead, or move up a class or something. I told her that we generally don't do that, that our program is much more about social learning and skills at 3 than academics (although we do teach A LOT for a church program). SO - her DD was in my Sunday school class on Sunday. She had never played with play-doh, couldn't work a puzzle, hadn't the FIRST clue what a glue stick was or how to glue paper, has trouble taking turns, sitting at the table (for a 5 min snack), etc. She will definitely thrive in preschool, but she definitely doesn't need to move up!

That being said, I am sure you have exposed your DD to all sorts of learning, esp if you were in a homeschooling group. I just agree with the PP about moving her ahead a grade, because she will be treated like the bigger kids. She will also ALWAYS be the youngest in her class, esp with how so many boys are held back and are older when they start school nowadays. I actually repeated Kindergarten (way back in 1980) and was so much better for it - I, too, was an early reader, had the early math skills, etc, but socially I was not ready for first grade - it is a big jump from kindergarten! Because of being held back, I was always a leader, always the oldest, always a responsible, good student.

Sorry for the length of my post, it is just something I am very passionate about (early childhood ed) and I know how close it is to your heart!

I have thought that maybe it was me. BUT i know it is not just me. Part of hte reason i know this, is becasue i in no way think she is genious. and i KNOW my 4yo is actualyl behind, not ahead. Samantha, gets everything the first time she reads it. orhas it taught to her, which is why she is so smart. NOT gifted, just smart. Socially, she is perfect as well. I see her being my lilttle cheerleader/ teachers pet.. always wants to help the teacher, preparethe snacks, and is SOOOO not shy, and again not aroudn me.OTHERS.I have been told by 2 of the preschool moms last year( in our homeschool co-op) that she will be sooo avancedfro kindergarten.
I did say in my OP i wanted her tested for placement. NOT that i am demanding she be put ahead.
Also, becasue of her birthday, she is not that much younger than those that are in 1st grade. and even if she is , she is bigger than most, tall wise... so i dont worry about her fitting in.

It is so hard to decidewhat is right. i figure i am going ot screw her up no matter what i do, so who cares.
I guess i amin the minority around here.....