Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When you let them self-wean...

...how long did it take for them to give up the boob?
DD is 20m and showing no signs of giving it up. I'm in no hurry, but every now and then, I can't help but get a scary glimpse into the future of DD running home from lunch at school for a quick sip

Do they ever go on for 5 yrs. or so, when left to wean on their own?

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you let them self-wean...

The oldest I've heard of is 4ish. But really, mama, take heart. It's not like she's going to come home for a quick pick me up between SAT exams or anything!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
jennywymore
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 28mont old and she still nurses, not at night anymore praise god,,, she gave that up last week. DH had a hard time at night but he can acually rock her to sleep now... from people I have spoken to sometimes it happens over night. But she askes for it all day long. I ushaully give it to her at nap and before bed.
It wont last forever and you will miss it, so take your time...
jennywymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son hasnt nursed in 2 weeks. He cut his nursing down to once a week, now not for 2 weeks. He is 3.5! It will happen on its own. When he was 2 he was nursing 24/7! My DD who is 23months old nurses 24/7 too.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first weaned at 18mos, and my second is close to it...she's down to once/day at almost 2.5.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every child is different, but I read somewhere that the worldwide average weaning age is 4.2 years old. My 1st dd self-weaned at 27 monthes, my second just turned 3 years old and is showing no signs of stopping anytime soon and my youngest is only 11 1/2 monthes old!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 17 months and still going strong. I also can't see her weaning anytime soon, and it sometimes worries me (esp after an all night boobathon..which she seems to be having a lot of lately! )

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

They do wean eventually! I have heard of kids still nursing at 7, but I think that's outside the realm of normal. I don't think Bella is weaning anytime soon, either. I figure I will just go with it until I feel like it's not working anymore, yk?
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nate is almost 31 months, and some days he doesn't nurse at all, and others he would nurse all day if I let him.

I've found it easier to drop the bedtime nurse than the nap nurse. If I don't nurse him for a nap, he just doesn't nap.... at least at bedtime, if it takes an hour of laying there with him, it takes an hour. For naptime, if it took an hour, by the time he fell asleep I'd have to wake him up! lol

I'm hoping by the time he's 3. I was thinking about it yesterday. When he's runnign around the house and playing, he looks so big, but when he's nursing it's almost like he LOOKS like a baby again. Anyone else have that?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post
I'm hoping by the time he's 3. I was thinking about it yesterday. When he's runnign around the house and playing, he looks so big, but when he's nursing it's almost like he LOOKS like a baby again. Anyone else have that?
Totally. When I nurse DD in the rocker at night, I can't see her at all but she feels like she takes up the whole rocker. During the weekdays, we're on a giant bed and she looks so teeny and peaceful on there.

Thx for the replies. I'm in no hurry. Really, I'm fine w/ her nursing right up until I'm PG again (NOT anytime soon!)--if the next PG is anything like my last 2, there's NO WAY I could allow her to nurse. Even the wind blowing made me cringe. ouch. It's just so hard to picture what it'll be like when DD doesn't call me 'milk' anymore. I imagine I'll be sad...unless she's 7 in which case I might throw a party

So, after they wean, do they ever come back for comfort when they get hurt or something? If your milk's gone by then, do you allow it?

I'm not a big fan of DD growing up, but I try to be prepared