Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wool Mamas, IDNO help please!

Am I being super duper picky about my wool? My first longies where E's Crankys, and maybe I'm just holding this unrealistic desire for perfection in my longies

My first customs I got where off in the measurements I sent and didn't fit. I recently got another pair of longies and they have some dropped stitches. What is the norm for wool? Are a few dropped or twisted stitches normal? If the measurements are not exactly on, is it assumed ok b/c wool will stretch?

Advertisement

Last edited by katedanzer; 11-16-2007 at 03:12 PM.
katedanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
LydiaJW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool Mamas, IDNO help please!

I wouldn't send out longies with any of those issues without calling them "seconds." I HAVE made an error in sizing before, but I fixed it with the shipping on my dime.
Mama to 3, expecting #4 Peculiar Knits coming in 2009 to a HC near you!
Open for yy/mn customs - get those shorties going for spring!
LydiaJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Dropped stitches and twisted stiches are NOT normal.

I have quite a bit of wool, and none of mine have those issues.

Is the person that knit for you new to knitting? I'm very picky about who I buy wool from....
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
katedanzer
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
Dropped stitches and twisted stiches are NOT normal.

I have quite a bit of wool, and none of mine have those issues.

Is the person that knit for you new to knitting? I'm very picky about who I buy wool from....
The sizing issue, yes. On the one w/ the knit issues, no. How can you tell if there are dropped stiches? I am assuming it's when the v's don't all line up. I looked at my Crankys and the pair I just bought off FSOT and neither have these issues. I am really right now b/c we need wool like a month ago as we live in MN and it's darn cold now.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well crankies are done on a machine, they are not hand knit so no hand knit wool is going to be as perfect as crankies and it would be unfair to expect that. If you want perfection like that you would need to keep buying machine knit wool. Now you should expect that the sizing would be correct (within 1/4 inch or so anyway, with stretching and all) and I definately would expect it to be free of dropped stitches ect. But perfect perfect can only be accomplished by machine.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
irisheyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Well crankies are done on a machine, .....
They ARE?? I never knew that but then again I've never even seen a pair up front. Huh, so are they similar to the Kozy longies or are they thicker? Wow I somehow just assumed that they were hand knitted but then again the volume WOULD be pretty amazing, eh?? You learn something new everyday I guess!

Kerrin
irisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
MaggieSqrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm positive that Crankys are handknit by Amy herself. I think she has talked about having other people handknit them in the future (not sure if that has happened yet? Perhaps for the ones at Mahar?), but they are definitely handknit, not machine-made.

For the question about the dropped/twisted stitches, a lot of us get better with time. I think it really depends on the knitter. When I opened up my cart well over a year ago, I was twisting stitches and didn't realize it. Some of my old stuff that I see on FSOT makes me cringe, because I've gotten much better over the past year (LOL!). I've improved over time, as I'm sure many others have done. There's a wide variety of skill levels out there, for sure, so you'll definitely find a wide variety in the quality of the knitting with various WAHM-made longies.

"Learn to Dye Wool Yarn Kit" and undyed yarn available, too!
MaggieSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
katedanzer
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSqrl View Post
I'm positive that Crankys are handknit by Amy herself. I think she has talked about having other people handknit them in the future (not sure if that has happened yet? Perhaps for the ones at Mahar?), but they are definitely handknit, not machine-made.

For the question about the dropped/twisted stitches, a lot of us get better with time. I think it really depends on the knitter. When I opened up my cart well over a year ago, I was twisting stitches and didn't realize it. Some of my old stuff that I see on FSOT makes me cringe, because I've gotten much better over the past year (LOL!). I've improved over time, as I'm sure many others have done. There's a wide variety of skill levels out there, for sure, so you'll definitely find a wide variety in the quality of the knitting with various WAHM-made longies.
Thanks for the input I just didn't know what to expect as I don't knit and I have little to compare to. I feel bad sending them back to be fixed if it's just me being too picky.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

If you're unhappy with them, talk to the knitter and see if you can work something out.

If you want to PM me pics so I can tell you if it's "normal" or not, you can.

Don't worry about being picky--if you spend money on it, you're allowed to be picky!

I've also heard Cranky's are knit with a machine, but I don't know for sure that they are.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedanzer View Post
Thanks for the input I just didn't know what to expect as I don't knit and I have little to compare to. I feel bad sending them back to be fixed if it's just me being too picky.
Are you sure the are dropped stitches? If they are on the bum area about equal distance apart on either side and come in pairs, they aren't dropped stitches but the ends of short rows. Some mamas wrap their ends better than others to hide where the short row starts and ends. Or perhaps you are noticing an increase or decrease, where again some are more skilled at blending those in than others. A truly dropped stitch would run when you stretched it.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote