Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
someone tell me everything about brestfeeding

ok i know i need to take a class before having this baby but i have alot of questions.

I am 24 weeks along now.
I plan on trying to brestfeed and go back to work at 6 weeks pp.

So I know you are suppose to brestfeed only for 3-4 weeks get baby used to it before you introduce a bottle. Then you give them a bottle with pumped brestmilk or forumla?
How often do you pump or feed? and how much does it end up being?
What if you take meds? What if you have a drink? Do you pump and throw it away?
How do you suplement with forumla?

I am sorry i have alot of questions and need to find a class. I will ask next time i go to wic but i read a book and it really didn't answer any of my qestions

Advertisement

peverroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Cedailey
Registered Users

Re: someone tell me everything about brestfeeding

It is suggested to wait 4 weeks before giving a bottle if you want to bf long term, in order to avoid nipple confusion, because it is sooo much easier to get the milk out of a bottle and has faster flow.

I would say the first few bottles should be breast milk. Baby is dealing with an unfamiliar delivery system (bottle) so it will be easier if the milk at least tastes the same.

In general, feed on demand. For a newborn that is usually every 2-3 hours. In order to keep up milk supply, pump about that often as well. With my first, when I had to go back to work at 6 weeks, I started pumping at 2 weeks. If she nursed on one side, I would pump the other. In the beginning I would get 2-3 oz, which is about one feeding. By two months, when I was at work, I would pump both sides for about 10 minutes every 3 hours and get 4-5 oz from each side.

Meds: consult with a doctor and pharmacologist (oddly the pharm will know more about the effects of the actual drug than the doctor) Some are okay to nurse, some aren't.

Alcohol: It metabolizes out of your milk the same way it does out of the blood. So a basic rule of thumb, if you're safe to drive, it's safe to nurse.

To suppliment with formula, you can mix a bottle that's part bm and part formula, or just occasionally give a bottle of formula as needed. However, with a good pumping regimen, supplimenting isn't often needed. (i've always been annoyed that I had to )
Cedailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
debstmomy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Please get yourself a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding & The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, by Jack Newman MD. These will become your "bibles" of BF.
debstmomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debstmomy View Post
Please get yourself a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding & The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, by Jack Newman MD. These will become your "bibles" of BF.
I totally agree! These are wonderful books and will tell you far more than we can type (plus be easier to read)

I also recommend going to www.kellymom.com this is the internet "bible" for breastfeeding! It's a site created by an awesome Mama and it's got TONS of info on everything.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
BearBumsBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: johnson_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Dr Newman has a site too which is nice - lots of tips!

www.drjacknewman.com

HTHs!
BearBumsBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
MamaOf3Cuties
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debstmomy View Post
what she said
Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #7
uoducks
Registered Users

You have the rest of your life to work and they (our kids/babies) are only young for so long.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I broke the rules and it worked for me. I did bottle feed and breast feed the first 10 days and I supplimented with formula while my milk was coming in and while I was healing from my section.....then it all went well, but I still don't follow the rules because I did with my 1st child and I had to quit because it all went wrong. My son is now 9 weeks and I do what feels right for us and it is working. I do pump when I feel really full and He's maybe had a small meal and I can pump up to 10oz at time.....I don't take meds or drink so I can't comment on that, but I do say you'll know what feels right but it can't hurt to research, take classes and read books!! Good luck.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Another great book is Nursing Mother, Working Mother, since you'll be going back to work. Here's my suggestions, JMO:

-Start out right by initiating breastfeeding within the first hour of birth. Pitocin, epidurals and c-sections all result in higher failure rate of BF, so try to do without these unless its absoultely a medical necessity.
-Breastfeed exclusively for 3-4 weeks at least, longer if you are having trouble.
-In the beginning, plan on having the baby on your boob pretty much all the time - its totally normal. Learn to nurse lying down - its a lifesaver!
-You do not need to supplement before your milk comes in - the colostrum you make is enough and is really good for the baby. Also your baby needs to nurse to let your body know that it needs to make milk - the more you nurse, the faster your milk will come in.
-If you're having trouble, get in touch with a LLL leader or IBCLC immediately.
-Throw away all formula samples. Formula is bad for you baby and will mess up the supply and demand relationship.
-Wait a couple of weeks before starting to pump - just get used to nursing and get to know and enjoy your baby for a while before putting any pressure on yourself...
-If your Dr knows you are BF, they will usually not prescribe meds that will hurt the baby - so make sure you tell them. If you must take something that is incompatible, talk to an IBCLC about ways to keep up your supply in the mean time.
-If you want to have a drink, they say you should wait 1-2 hrs before nursing. You do not need to "pump and dump."
-When you do give a bottle, put expressed breast milk in it.
-Basically, just follow your baby's cues and trust your body. You can do it, your baby needs you to do it, and we are here for you!!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's been lots of good advice here - I just want to add to hang in there! I only work part time but my guy is on BM only. Some days I pump a lot, some not as much - just hang in there! I also find pumping on one side while he nurses on the other to work well (although it takes some practice to juggle all that ). We intruduced the bottle at 4.5 weeks and my husband did it (he only wanted to nurse if I tried) and it has worked well for us.