Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy More research = more confusion (cd woes)

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing this cd thing right, but it seems that I keep getting conflicting info on different sites. So can I ask the pros a few q's:

1. Do I have to wash pf, pockets, and covers separately? I read in some places not to use baking soda and vinegar on PUL, but on others that baking soda is ok. So should I wash my fbs and covers separately in just detergent?

2. I hand wash and hang dry (occasionally go to the laundromat). Will this affect the PUL?

3. I was using a wet pail when I had just pf, but now I switched to dry for the pockets (PUL again). But then I read that you should do an overnight soak for dipes...how is this different from a wet pail? I know some dont like the wet pail, but it is definitely easier for handwashing, so I wouldn't mind it. And the longest I go is 1.5-2 days unless I decide to go to the laundromat instead.

4. Out-growing. DH decided that she NEEDED smaller ones because the meds were too bulky, but now she's outgrowing them quickly. Is it best to keep them around for the next one, which wont be for another 2 years or should I sell/trade them now and buy more later?

5. And finally, am I actually saving money? I've spent a little over 100 right now and we dont even have a decent stash yet. And since she was only going through about 4-5 sposies a day versus about 10 cds, and I was using the cheap Target ones, I'm wondering if I'm actually saving any money. I'd like to do just pf and covers, but dh really hates the bulk factor, so I find myself having to shell out for the pocket dipes.

Sorry, so long, but any encouragement would be appreciated...

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: More research = more confusion (cd woes)

1. Do I have to wash pf, pockets, and covers separately? I read in some places not to use baking soda and vinegar on PUL, but on others that baking soda is ok. So should I wash my fbs and covers separately in just detergent?
I wash everything together and I've never had a problem. You'll also read that drying PUL in a dryer is bad for it, but again, I do it all the time and I've never had the first problem.

2. I hand wash and hang dry (occasionally go to the laundromat). Will this affect the PUL?
I don't know why it would. I hand wash sometimes, but mostly just wash them in the machine

3. I was using a wet pail when I had just pf, but now I switched to dry for the pockets (PUL again). But then I read that you should do an overnight soak for dipes...how is this different from a wet pail? I know some dont like the wet pail, but it is definitely easier for handwashing, so I wouldn't mind it. And the longest I go is 1.5-2 days unless I decide to go to the laundromat instead.
It seems like everybody has a different method for washing their diapers. I don't do an overnight soak. I just run my machine on cold wash/cold rinse once with nothing but baking soda in it. That kinda works as my soaking. Then I do a hot wash/cold rinse with detergent and vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.

4. Out-growing. DH decided that she NEEDED smaller ones because the meds were too bulky, but now she's outgrowing them quickly. Is it best to keep them around for the next one, which wont be for another 2 years or should I sell/trade them now and buy more later?
I'm having the same issues. I think I've decided that unless I have diapers that I really adore, I'm going to sell the rest. I've heard that elastic doesn't fare too well in storage (especially in attics where it can get really hot). Plus, I like the idea of buying all new diapers for the next child, since every child is different and I would want to use different diapers.

5. And finally, am I actually saving money? I've spent a little over 100 right now and we dont even have a decent stash yet. And since she was only going through about 4-5 sposies a day versus about 10 cds, and I was using the cheap Target ones, I'm wondering if I'm actually saving any money. I'd like to do just pf and covers, but dh really hates the bulk factor, so I find myself having to shell out for the pocket dipes.
In the long run, it's still cheaper. I think disposables end up being like, $2000 by the time your child potty learns. (Not sure of the exact figure). CD can just seem like more money because it's all in large chunks instead of $10 here, $20 there.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
monkeymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
In the long run, it's still cheaper. I think disposables end up being like, $2000 by the time your child potty learns. (Not sure of the exact figure). CD can just seem like more money because it's all in large chunks instead of $10 here, $20 there.
Sorry to hijack and go off topic... I am embarrassed to say that I don't even think I will have saved any money at the end. I have bought so many dipes, that my cost factor has skyrocketed. I'll probably have to sell off part of my stash to recoup some of the money I've spent... but it's really hard for me to part with a diaper once I've bought it - how silly is that!!

The only thing that consoles me is that I WILL hang onto my dipes for our next, which hopefully will be next year (TTC!!) and I will be using them for that one - I know I'd just go on a spending spree if I had to buy up new ones for another. Too bad they can't fit into mediums right away - the majority of my stash!!! LOL! Oh, and I better also have a girl to use all the girl pockets I've bought up recently!!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama
Sorry to hijack and go off topic... I am embarrassed to say that I don't even think I will have saved any money at the end. I have bought so many dipes, that my cost factor has skyrocketed. I'll probably have to sell off part of my stash to recoup some of the money I've spent... but it's really hard for me to part with a diaper once I've bought it - how silly is that!!
See thats what I'm afraid of. This cd thing is so addictive, I fear I may end up spending too much, just like my sling and carrier obsession.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Mamato2beauties
Registered Users

My wash routine is so stinking simple
We have used everything, prefolds, covers, PUL, fleece, pockets...
A little regular Tide, hot wash, hot dry. Machine drying is good for PUL. You may see the cotton outers fade from machine washing, but the PUL will not be affected. Keep the routine simple. PUL is made to withstand autoclave sterilization, machine drying won't hurt it one bit. If you see problems occuring, then you can experiment with cold rinses, baking soda, etc...keep it simple! Many moms do a straight wash/dry with regular detergent and do perfetly fine with it
We dry pail them, no soaking at all.
As far as storing diapers. it is true the elastic can dry rot over a few years. However, I kept all of my oldest's diapers in her closet (temperature controlled), and they worked perfectly fine for my baby. Prefolds only get better with age
As far as saving, you certainly can save bundles. Unless you love the addiction and splurge on cutsie dipes. Theoretically, if you bought prefolds and a few covers for each size stage, the savings would be astronomical~

Loving the busy life
Mamato2beauties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wash every thing together. I use a dry pail. I spray stains with Oxy Spray before they go in the pail. I throw every thing in the washer.

cold prerinse with vinegar(kills the pee!)

then hot/or warm wash with normal detergent.

x rinse with vinegar

machine dry

that's it!

I have been in and out of cding...there were time when we were STUCK in cheap sposies cause we had NO computer and No money to even invest in prefolds. now wer're back to simple cding and it saves us a ton!!
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Martha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.diaperpin.com/calculator/calculator.asp

There is a link for a calculator that will help you see your savings. I am just starting this too. It is addicting...but if you give yourself a number of diapers to purchase and NO MORE...then you'll be fine! If nothing else, it's better for baby and CUTER even if you come out even....I only have AIO's right now..might try pockets and/or prefolds later...but for now I am lovin my AIOS