Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Need toddler meal help

DD's not the biggest solid eater in the world, but I've been trying to make more of an effort to be a little organized about giving her an actual meal. She does snack/graze all day long which is ok, but I feel like it lets me slip into bad habits about feeding her mainly "snack" things (goldfish, just peas/corn, etc.) rather than stuff with more nutritional value.

I'll caveat this by saying she does still nurse a lot so I'm not really worried about her not getting enough - just wanting to keep going with healthy eating habits.

We do pretty good on breakfast. She loves fruit - so she usually has a banana or apple, etc. and some dry cereal or oatmeal with us. Dinner we just have her try what we're eating - so sometimes she eats more than others. Lunch is the meal I have the most trouble with. I need lunch suggestions (beyond a cut-up sandwich). I'm trying to get her more interested in green veggies, but it's been an uphill battle so far - except for peas - she likes those.

Thanks!
Katie

Advertisement

Last edited by wbkt8; 08-01-2006 at 11:05 AM.
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need toddler meal help

I'm not very creative in the kitchen but here a couple ideas...our dds are close in age...my dd will be 2 in oct

i make lots of soup type things. Homemade. I buy that little star pasta and cook that sometimes with a boullion cube to give it a little flavor. then i add veggies....like greenbeans, corn, carrots, diced tomatoes....whatever i want to put in there.

Sometimes i make the same thing with rice instead of pasta.

she LOVES turkey...so i buy deli turkey alot (not the nasty deli turkey but the GOOD turkey )

she likes those little corn cob nibblers. They come in a big frozen bag and i just pull one out and nuke it.

grilled cheese. sometiems i add a very very thin sliced tomatoe on it

homemade chicken nuggets...i buy boneless skinless chicken breast tenders. Cut them into nugget shapes...bread with egg and breadcrumbs...cook with a little bit of olive oil..they are SUPER YUMMY!!!

little homemade pizzas...can make with pizza dough...or on english muffins...add sauce, cheese and any toppings you want like veggies or something..

I have a book called First Meals by Annabel Karmel ~ there are TONS of ideas in there from first pureed homemade baby foods thru preschool age....
i got my book on ebay for a few $$ ~ its come in really handy! theres all kinds of kid friendly healthy things to make.

Good luck!
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

I have 2dd's and run a daycare, the favorites for lunch are:

Cooked pasta (I make it fun with rainbow curly pasta) with a bit of butter and parmesan cheese and I mix in peas.

I like the 99cent pizza dough at Trader Joes, I split it into personal sizes and let dd make her own pizza with sauce and pepperoni

Grilled cheese-I usually serve it with yogurt

Cant got wrong with PB&J and applesauce

Rice with mixed veggies

Quesadillas

Chicken noodle soup

For easy cleanup, cooking and great nutrition, I have mason jars that I fill with water and put in frozen veggies. I pop that into the microwave for a couple of minutes and it is done by the time the main course it done. Very easy and it is a great way to go than the canned ones.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

thanks guys....those are good suggestions.

i don't know what my mental block is about lunch - but even for myself i'm just not a creative lunch person....get stuck in sandwich mode.

i like the pasta or soup ideas. she loves to eat ramen with her father (mostly just the noodles not the broth - lol), so i bet she would like those. and quesadillas/grilled cheese are good too - she likes cheese.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like some great ideas

Mine will eat starches, fruits, and veggies no problem, meat and eggs they are more picky about. We do the soup thing sometimes 'cause you can sneak in anything that is cut up really fine.

Sometimes I buy a package of "organic" hot dogs (it has no nitrites?, nitrates?, or whatever that bad thing is in normal hot dogs), nuke one for 30 seconds and cut it in 4ths widthwise and 4ths again lengthwise (cutting it up coin-shaped like when I was a kid is "out" now 'cause of the choking hazard).. they like those. mmm greasy :-b

Sometimes I cook french toast as a non-breakfast meal... 1 egg, some milk, cinnamon but no sugar, dip 2 pieces of bread and fry them up... sneaky way to get an egg into them.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

I am a a lazy luncher too! Usually if it requires cooking we don't make it for lunch But, these are great ideas! Thanks!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never thought about simple pasta *duh* I'm also a lunch=sandwich type of person, dh is NOT. But anyway, I've run out of ideas for my kids - so, I appreciate this thread!!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

my 16 month old grazes alot and i got a cute gerber menu in the mail and we are going to try 1 quick and easy bean burrito for her for dinner once i go shopping.

1/4 cup rice
1 jar gerber graduates carrots.
1 tbsp. refried beans
1 tbsp. shed cheddar cheese
1 6" Flour tortilla
Microwave
on high for 45 seconds or until warm to the touch. If you want the menu i can send it to you
Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the first 2 years, babies need a lot of good fats for brain development. We like to soak and blend up nuts in smoothies with fruit.

We also really love sweet balls made from bananas, dates/raisins, with soaked almonds, walnuts (lots of fatty acids), and mac nuts rolled in dried coconut. Ds loves avocados, too.

For greens, I add green powder to everything to make it easy and yummy to get the vitamins and minerals from greens (Ds and I love vitamineral green). HTH!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Almonds and walnuts are ok? I've been scared to try nuts with my under-2 b/c one of the kids in our extended family, although not a blood relation, has a peanut allergy and they think maybe her sister too.. maybe I worry too much though!