Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Making a comforter?

I am due Christmas with my 4th child. This is our second Christmas baby. I'd like to get gifts ready as we go. I've already made a few crocheted dish cloths as gifts to grandparents, sisters, and moms.

This time around I want to sew each of my children and my hubby(we sleep together but will not share blankets as we both hate sharing a blanket! lol) a new comforter for their beds. I make all of my babies swaddle blankets and a personalized baby blanket that fits their crib well. I've never used patterns...just guesstimated or used old blankets to measure.

How would I go about figuring out how much material I'd need for a queen and full beds? I want to make them each one that is big enough to fit them until adulthood. I'm making them in prints that will suit them until they are grown not baby prints. My boys are getting farmall tractor and farm material and my daughter is getting a country floral pattern. I'm just not sure how to figure out the amount I'll need and how much batting I'll need for each.

Advertisement

Danielle. Farmers wife. Aspiring homsteader. Semi crunchy momma to 3 awesome, crazy kiddos 1, 2 and 4 years old. Due December 2016 with #4! Want to follow our crazy life?
www.simplemountainmama.wordpress.com
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
christinembyrd
Registered Users
seller

Re: Making a comforter?

Danielle, when I've sewn quilts/comforters for our beds, I've looked up online to see the dimensions for ready-made versions. Also, I tend to use sheets from IKEA for the backing because it's cheaper and I don't have to piece them together. Good luck! Sewing something that big is rather challenging IMO. I used double-fold bias type to edge DS's, then "free-stitch" quilted it. It took forever though! I'm getting ready to make a ruched, striped duvet for DD and expect that will be quite a project too.
christinembyrd is offline   Reply With Quote