Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Knitting longies and shorties from start to finish links to tutorials

I thought I would post this for anyone it might help in their learning to knit longies journey! I wrote this out for a mama who bought yarn from me. We got to chatting and she had some questions about learning to knit.

For longies, I highly recommend the eviepants pattern. There are many options (soakers, shorties, longies, skirties, how to knit cables if you ever want to add cables down the sides, wide leg option, and many different cuffs.) It's well written and the author is super nice and happy to answer questions.

I recommend bamboo needles while learning. They are less slippery and hold stitches on a lot better than metal needles.
Bare minimum I would say size 5 16" circulars (circs) for waistband and size 7 and 8 16" circs for hips. size 7 and 8 12" circs or you can learn to magic loop and use one long circ needle for both hips and legs

These videos are for the English method as that's how I learned. But I do sometimes wish I learned continental instead

"pm" means place stitch marker
"sl marker" means slip marker from left to right needle and then continue your knitting

magic loop video:

here are links to tutorials in order of how you'd come across these techniques in a knitting pattern.

long tail cast on video
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...g-tail-cast-on

joining in the round: (involves knitting a stitch, see video below this one if you haven't learned knit stitch yet)

knit stitch video:

how to purl video: I just didn't get it until I watched this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5hY...7AF480B2036C83

2x2 (k2p2) ribbing in the round video:

how to do eyelets for draw string (not necessary, I don't do this but lots of people do. You can thread the i-cord through the little stitch holes with a tapestry needle when you're finished to without having to make eyelets.)

eylet: k2, yo, p2tog
YO (yarn over) video:

p2tog (purl 2 together) video:

if you're using a different color for trim and need to switch yarn colors:
how to change yarn colors, circular knitting:

stockinette stitch in the round is just plain knitting after you're done with your ribbed waistband. so once you've finished your waistband, you can just knit and it will create stockinette stitch. (which if knit flat is one row knit then one row purl. circular knitting makes it easier and all you have to do is knit. if all rows in flat knitting are knit, it makes garter stitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUxXO...eature=related (knitting on circular needles video)

short rows tutorial. short rows were impossible for me until I found this picture tutorial. As you mouse over the pictures, little captions will pop up and tell you exactly what to do It's awesome.. I think this is the woolie wonders method but I'm not 100% sure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2334568...57603826500230

you will use these for your gusset:

M1F (AKA M1L) increase video

M1B (AKA M1R) Increase video

kitchener stitch (used for "grafting" the gusset)

picking up stitches for the legs in gusset for longies/shorties video:
(Remember to hold the longies upside down when picking up your stitches, waist will be at the lowest point. I goofed on this a few times when I was learning! )

if you're planning on doing a seed stitch cuff on your longies, you'll need an odd number of stitches for your legs. if after you pick up the stitches in your gusset you have an even number of stitches, you can knit 2 or 3 rows and then do a k2tog (knit 2 together) to reduce the stitch count by one and make an odd number of stitches. if you do it directly under your gusset, trying to do it under the center of the gusset, it won't be noticeable.

k2tog video (knit 2 together)

seed stitch in the round (commonly used on longies cuffs)
you will need an odd number of stitches. first row, k1,p1 second row p1,k1

binding off (casting off) in the round video

last stitch of binding off picture tutorial
http://sameknit.blogspot.com/2008/08/step-off.html

weaving in ends picture tutorial (first picture shown applies to what you'd need to do to weave in ends on longies):
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

i-cord

Fixing boo-boos videos!

Reinserting needles after have to frog (unravel) a portion of work:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...rt-your-needle

how to unknit stitches, for when your mistake isn't too far away and you can take stitches off the needles one-by one going backwards:

fixing a dropped stitch:

I think that's it! I'll come back and add more if I think of something I missed.

It looks like a lot now that I have a link for each technique written here, but it's not so bad. You can do it!!!!

It would be awesome to see pictures of first shorties and longies from those this thread has helped!

Advertisement

Last edited by lovewool; 04-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
lovewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Knitting longies and shorties from start to finish links to tutorials

OMG you are amazing for doing this! I just finished my first pair of shorties two days ago and it was such a hassle searching for how to do everything (especially magic loop since the pattern wanted both legs done on the same circle needle... yea that didn't end up happening I had to use two circulars to make it work! lol)
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sub
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! I'm trying my first pair now & finding myself in need of short row help...the pick in your link were blurry on my work computer, but I think it'll look better on my laptop
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Thanks! I'm trying my first pair now & finding myself in need of short row help...the pick in your link were blurry on my work computer, but I think it'll look better on my laptop
some of the pictures in that short row tutorial are a bit blurry but I was always able to see them well enough. I hope it looks better for you on your laptop.

Glad this is helping people!

Last edited by lovewool; 04-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
lovewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a great thread for info!

I found this video really helpful for frogging back. All you do is insert a lifeline where you're frogging back to, take the needles out, frog back to the lifeline, and reinsert needles. Makes it a LOT easier than ripping it out and praying you don't rip out too far.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewool

if you're planning on doing a seed stitch cuff on your longies, you'll need an odd number of stitches for your legs. if after you pick up the stitches in your gusset you have an even number of stitches, you can knit 2 or 3 rows and then do a k2tog (knit 2 together) to reduce the stitch count by one and make an odd number of stitches. if you do it directly under your gusset, trying to do it under the center of the gusset, it won't be noticeable.

It would be awesome to see pictures of first shorties and longies from those this thread has helped!
Thank you especially for this part. I didn't think ahead on my first pair of longies and screwed my seed stitch up because I hadn't paid attention to the number of stitches I had. I was able to hide the k2tog near the gusset because of this reminder.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

for anyone starting out with longies
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is awesome! Thanks! I'm wanting to try to knit a pair soon
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do great until it comes to closing up the darn short rows. Hopefully the link will help me with my problem.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote