Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need recommendations

I am in desperate need of a new pair of fabric scissors and a cutting board/mat thing. I don't want cheap quality but I don't want to break the bank either. Links to products are greatly appreciated!

((Jamie: mom to five & Baby W due 01/10/16! Domestic diva, in love with my firefighter. Sent from my Droid Maxx.
*My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice*))

Advertisement

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I need recommendations

Gingher is a really nice scissors. I have a small pair that looks like new (when closed) that are 20+ years old. Inside is a small amount of rust but they have not always been stored well. I did have a larger pair bought at the same time. It was lost during one of our many moves. I have bought a replacement recently but that was just this year.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Hum Bums
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also have gingher scissors. I was fortunate enough to pick up a set of the large and miniature versions for around $20 right after Christmas.
Voluntarily left Mod duties due to busy life!
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

http://www.joann.com/search?q=gingher%20scissors Okay so very expensive. I bought my last pair at Walmart, I think for $20. However I fear they may not be made to the same quality as the ones at Joanns Fabric. I have been told Joanns accepts Hobby Lobby coupons. They always have a 40% off coupon that would drastically reduce the cost.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Unusely1
Registered Users

They also have a 50%off coupon online to I used one last week so I would check and see if they still have one if I where you and the ginger scissors are really good to I have a pair that are 4 years old and they have cut just about everything and still cut like they just was bought
Unusely1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies! What about the mat? Any good recommendations on those? Basically I need something to help me cut things in certain sizes and in straight(ER) lines.

((Jamie: mom to five & Baby W due 01/10/16! Domestic diva, in love with my firefighter. Sent from my Droid Maxx.
*My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice*))
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Joanns has mats. If you can get a coupon, that would make it cheaper. You can sign up for coupons if you want. I am signed up, even though I don't use the coupons all the time. But then when I do need something, I can use a coupon if it's not on sale.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Gingher definitely has very nice scissors, but you do NOT want to pay full price for them! Their regular price is very expensive.

Maybe check Wawak.com? They sell their sewing supplies for a lot less than most craft stores.

I just have a simple Fiskars cutting mat, it came with a clear ruler, it has served me very well with my rotary cutter. It was one of the cheaper mats but I don't have any complaints about its quality. I know they all wear out eventually, and I don't do enough cutting to notice a difference in how long they last (I think you would need to use it multiple times every day to really notice a difference there).
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an omnigrid mat and I like it fine. It's the only one I've ever had, so I can't compare it to anything. My rotary cutter is fiskars. I have a pair of fiskars sissors to, and DH bought me nice new ginghers but I am saving them till my others die. If you don't need this stuff right away, joanns runs 40-50% off their cutting stuff fairly often, and then you can sometimes get a 15-20% of entire purchase coupon on top of that. It REALLY brings the prices down to a much more reasonable level.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a pretty cheap mat. It was from Walmart with a grid. It's got knicks & stuff but it's fine. I can't see buying one of the expensive "self-healing" ones. I would pay more for a good ruler.. The clear ones with the little dot grippers are so nice. They stay put & hold the fabric from moving. I have 2 rulers ... 6" with no dots & the 2 1/2" wide with dots. I always grab for the one with dots.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote