Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I have mastitis!!! *update in my last post!

Ugh... I started feeling really run down yesterday afternoon. I was slightly engorged because DS slept straight through from 2am-8am. Then, I guess my right breast wasn't emptied enough. Well, then I started feeling achy around dinner time. I finally added it all up and realized that I had mastitis.

I have been doing the following:

Drinking echinacea tea
Just took some Emergen-C
Swallowed a whole garlic clove
And have been nursing a lot on the affected side

Besides rest and plenty of fluids, are there any other suggestions besides what I have been doing? I want to stay away from antibiotics as much as possible.

Advertisement

Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er

Last edited by flobee76; 11-20-2007 at 03:17 PM.
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
LittleBoPeepKnits
Registered Users

Re: I have mastitis!!!

Ugh...I've gotten it twice mama and never had antibiotics. Here's what I did: I took some Tylenol to help with the fever/pain/general yucky feeling. Then I took 1000mg of Vit C the first hour, 500 mg the next hour, 1000 mg the next hour, etc. You can't OD on Vit C, if you have too much you'll get diahhrea (sp?). I also just rested all day, with my baby in bed with me and let her nurse to her heart's desire on that side. Also, a cold compress helped. I have some things from Gerber that you put in the freezer, but you could use a bag of frozen peas if you had to. Hot showers help as well.

I HTH and I hope you feel better soon mama!!!
Need some woolies knit for your LO for a reasonable price? Click here !!
LittleBoPeepKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
fishermanswife
Registered Users

Have you tried different positions nursing? The football hold, even on hands and knees overtop the baby? You are supposed to point the nose to the sore spot. Hot showers help, massage... Ack. I am with you! I had it 6 times with ds. But not at all with dd this time... and she's 9 months old now! Phew! If you get too sick go straight to the dr and don't worry about having to take antibiotics... it can be life-threatening if you don't take action and it gets too far. in my opinion I would be at the drs now if you have a fever. My opinion only though
FW
Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

I haven't had mastitis but I've had a clogged duct so I sympathize but can't offer advice. If it is an infection I hope your body beats it without antibiotics. Sounds like you're being healthy and taking good care of yourself. Good Luck, feel better.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama. Mastitis is no fun.

I second one of the PP that mentioned feeding LO on hands and knees. It looks silly and you'll feel silly doing it (I have to lock DH out of the room when I do it) but it's totally worth it.

Besides that it sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. Just rest up and keep up your fluids while you work that cruddy thing out.

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I pumped and fed baby from the bottle for that day......I did it for about 5 feeds and I felt way better. (I did take antiobiotics though) and within 4 hours I was like a new person.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry mama i feel your pain i have had it twice in the past year and right now i am battaling a milk blister that wont go away!
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uh, I dont' know momma. I had it when dd was newborn. I was so sick. I took antibiotics. I don't know if it was mentioned but I froze some cabbage leaves and put them on my breasts. It was stinky but it felt SOOOOOOO good
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
mothersky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoPeepKnits View Post
Ugh...I've gotten it twice mama and never had antibiotics. Here's what I did: I took some Tylenol to help with the fever/pain/general yucky feeling. Then I took 1000mg of Vit C the first hour, 500 mg the next hour, 1000 mg the next hour, etc. You can't OD on Vit C, if you have too much you'll get diahhrea (sp?). I also just rested all day, with my baby in bed with me and let her nurse to her heart's desire on that side. Also, a cold compress helped. I have some things from Gerber that you put in the freezer, but you could use a bag of frozen peas if you had to. Hot showers help as well.

I HTH and I hope you feel better soon mama!!!
ITA with everything. I just had my first bout too. Nurse, nurse, nurse. But don't forget to nurse both sides or you'll just be doing this again.
mothersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
Anabella'sMama
Banned

I'm in the same boat with you right now mama!
I'm actually sitting her with a hot castor oil compress.
Get some castor oil and put it on a rag (soak it!) then put an old distowel over it and fire up that heating pad! It feels soooo good!
Plus as gross as this sounds get a bowl of hot water or fill the kitchen sink and "soak" your boob!
About the cold compresses I though that they were suppose to be hot to stimulate let down and get the infection/clog out.
Anabella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote