Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Taiven's Assessments

Well we went last week for our first Assesment appointment....It went well...It was evident right off the bat what I suspected was the main issue...Asperger's...but also ADHD and anxiety and just a real need to get his social and emotional level up to his actual age because he really is more like a 2-4 year old in those areas...We discussed a lot of his life history for her to come to conclusions and she observed him and what not...well we had another appointment today to finish up assessing him and so we were trying to explain to her how he acts and she just wasn't getting it...it was really frustrating us both (DH and I)...she just saw him in a tiny room with all of us in it so of course Taiven played well, he is within inches of us that is what he wants...but at home I want him to be able to play in his room or away from inches from me....
well the fire alarm went off so we had to do a drill and can I tell you it must have been a fire alarm from the heavens...because he was outside spinning like CRAZY doing loops around me making his sounds totally spacing out have ZERO eye contact or focus not allowing anyone to touch him, but he was all over us touching me, dh and even her...AND THEN SHE GOT IT...she was taken a back with just how severe he is .....but man we were grateful she saw it!
so we go back on Monday to finish his plan of treatment...but we are still remaining off meds until further treatment and hopefully being able to avoid meds all together after 6 months of intensive therapy and training. The first course of action is establishing a daily schedule and sticking to it (which we have somewhat but suring the summer it is more lax that the school year)...i.e. times he eats, watches tv, has to play legos, has to go read, when he has to play outside, goes to the park etc...these kids scream for structure AND when he spins or runs in circles or does his weird spastic jolts or movements or talks exsessivly or shouts or really anything other people wouldn't do in public we have to direct him to stop, this is inappropriate behavior because before too long he will look 16 and spinning around acting strange and it will affect him socially because he already is the size of an average 11 year old and being 7 he is already looked at in aww for how he acts, I just need guidance on how to stop the behaviors...up until now i have been at a loss on what I should allow him to do or what he can not control...She was amazed at how obediant he is, always follows directions and does as he is told without so much and a whine, so we know he is capable of over time refining his public skills...I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!!! It is really helping me cope with everyday things knowing he WILL get better!
Thanks so much for all your concerns and support Mamas!

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

Re: Taiven's Assessments

Hope things get better for you
Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Jemgirl

Toe Jam anyone?
seller

My Mood:

so glad she was able to see what the behavior is! That will surely help in the plan of action.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good to hear that you have more hope and relief! Sending prayers for him to get better every day! I remember seeing his pics in your avy and thinking how beautiful he is. Stay strong and tolerant and be your loving self!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awwww thank you ladies!!! I will keep you updated on how he progresses
Old 08-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

I'm so glad you guys have some direction for little Taiven now. That's awesome.

It must have been the hand of fate causing that fire drill. I mean really, I know it is so hard on you when Taiven begins his stimming behaviors but that was the best possible timing in order for his assessor to see what you guys are talking about.

That is the biggest major drawback to assessments. The child is in a completely different environment and is being given tasks that may be unusual for him and so he might act either overly "quiet" and "good" or go the opposite way and completely be unable to do any of it (which is the direction my son usually takes).

I know how you feel about the future. "This is kind of okay now but what if he's doing this when he's a teenager?" So I feel you there.

But I have seen your posts before and am so happy for you guys that you're making a bit of progress there. I'm cheering for you.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:11 AM   #7
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your response I am really blessed to have such a bright, happy, loving child...he has his challenges but he isn't setting fires, hearing voices or having evil thoughts which were the questions I had to answer on the papers I was just thinking oh man this is easy stuff in comparison to that....I could not imagine that!....Anyhow thank you for your kind words
Old 08-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds SO much like my Connor. He can be "fine" or he can be pretty full-blown y'know? When Connor is screeching or something I stop moving, face him, get eye contact, and say "shhh listen... do you hear anyone else making that noise? Have you EVER heard anyone make that noise in a store? No? Thats because people don't do that. Thats a play noise, for when kids are playing loud and silly games. Its not an Anytime Noise" Slowly he is getting it. When he flaps his arms I say "look... count the people flapping their arms.... zero? yes, zero, thats not what other people do here"
Some say thats mean. The way I see it is this: FIRST if your kid has no similar issues you CANNOT understand. Even the most gentle momma needs to creative with a kid like this. Second, my son CAN learn these things, but ONLY if they are systematically taught to him THIRD, with or without autism THIS is the world he lives in, its a harsh and judgemental world sometimes and the less "quirks" he has the better he'll fare in it- sad but true. So I show him what society expects.
By the way my son is also AMAZINGLY obedient, he's what they call "rule bound" if its a rule, he's bound to it and will follow it. In soccer he's an AWESOME goalie, not ONE ball ever got past him.. know why? On day 1 the coach said "stay in the square and don't let any balls hit the net" so to him it was a rule
Old 08-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice, I am very similar in how I speak to Taiven, it's almost like you have to be really cut and dry or he will not get it...also with the rules, he follows them so well and if he has done anything he tells on himself, like mom I said stupid...even if he is playing with his toys in private he will tell on himself, or if he has an issue at school he tells me before i hear it from anyone else IF I even ever hear about it he tells me about every little thing.
With sports though I am affraid of putting him in because of how severe he is...he is dying for social interaction, but I think in time sports will be right for him just right now he needs time to learn to act appropriatley. He will grasp it I am sure, the hardest will be the talking, he just CONSTANTLY jibber jabbers always...and person space, I feel like he is always right on top of me or others, he just hovers it is extremely annoying because I don't like to be touched either, and with him constantly within centemeters from me I feel anxious....
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad your getting somewhere now(((HUGS)))
LuAnn