Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

When did you give solids?

Baby #1 & 2 got solids at 5 months. I think mainly because I was excited to see them eat (it was not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be!) and also because I was working 3 days a week and lets face it, pumping can be a hassle.

Baby #3 is almost 6 months old and I've been fortunate enough to only work 1 day a week. Pumping is not nearly as annoying when it's only 1 day a week. I haven't really been feeling like giving him solids because breastfeeding is so easy. It's more like me looking at the calendar saying 'he's almost 6 months - his brothers were getting solids by now' though he has been grabbing at stuff on the table. Pulling spoons into his mouth, grabbing my glass and sucking on it etc.

I know breast milk is the perfect food and solids are really not needed. . . but I'm wondering when the rest of you started on solids and what your motivation was.

Advertisement

mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you give solids?

My little man just turned 7 months old last week and he is still not eating anything solid. I thought I would start him at 6 months but that came and went and he still doesn't have any teeth so now I have decided that I am just going to do what feels right and I am sure that it will work itself out.

GL mama. This is my first one so I do not have tons of advice.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always started my kiddos when they started following food to my mouth with their eyes and opening their mouths for it LOL.
(my oldest took a bite of DH's cheeseburger when he was 5 months old and I had a panic attack. He chewed, swallowed and was just fine. Doctor laughed at me and said if he was fine than let him eat! - Dh was just holding it and turned his head with ds next to him on the couch so it wasn't as if dh was giving it to him)
However, He did the majority of things abut 3 months to 6 months earlier than the average child. He was a bit strange, still is LOL.

But I started when they showed me they wanted to eat.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son started eating "solids" (rice cereal) at four months. My daughter "celebrated" turning five months with some peaches (mainly for pictures) but didn't eat solids more than once a week until she was ten months old.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
kendrea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son started around 3.5 months and jumped right into it .. he already had teeth coming in!! My daughter is 7 months now (just got her 2 bottom teeth) and it's touch and go with her. She will eat about half of the Gerber plastic cups and that's on a good day.
Kassidy 2008
kendrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
uoducks
Registered Users

around 6mths of age is reccom. to start solids. After 6mths, breastmilk is no longer meeting all their needs. You should get the book "What to Expect the First Year" , it's very helpful with lots of suggestions.
Breastfeeding should still be on demand until 1year but solids are a big part of their diet from 6mths on. My daught. is a testament to this. She is bf on demand but eating 2-3 solid meals per day (cereal, fruits, veggies,lentil stew, etc). I am noticing her breastfeeding less because she is getting more solids now. This is only natural and they need variety in their foods as do we. If your baby is constantly nursing, can sit up, shows interest in food, etc. it's time.

Teeth or no teeth have nothing to do with starting solids. It's about your baby's readiness and needs and not your desire to breastfeed exclusively.

If you don't know if your baby is ready for solids you should at least be trying especially around 6mths of age.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In response to the PP, at LEAST 6 months is what is suggested.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

My DS#1 started solids around 6 months. He jumped right in with no trouble! We tried with DS#2 around 6 months, but he still had tongue thrust reflex and a super strong gag reflex, so we waited another month or so. Even now he still only gets a little bit of solids every day -- Cheerios, fruit, that sort of thing. I'm not really big on baby foods from a jar. Pretty soon I will start giving him small bites of table foods, whatever we are eating.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just started feeding my ds cereal a few days ago at 7 months 2 weeks old, only once a day. i'm sad about it too!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
After 6mths, breastmilk is no longer meeting all their needs.
Teeth or no teeth have nothing to do with starting solids.
I do not mean to pick a fight, so please do not take offense to this, but it is simply not true that breast milk doesn't meet their nutritional needs after 6 months. I have known many perfectly healthy kids from my LLL group who didn't start solids until 1 year or later, with no nutritional deficiencies. Often times, children will exclusively breast feed longer if they are going to be prone to allergies. Also, getting teeth IS one of the signs of readiness for solids! Also showing strong interest in what you're eating (following with eyes, reaching, opening mouth), being able to sit up, and losing the tongue thrust reflex. Every child is ready in their own time and you should follow their lead instead of worrying about the calendar. Check out La Leche League's website for great info, or better yet, visit your local LLL group.