Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you give solids?

DD #1 5 mths (started formula at 4 mths too)
DD #2 5 mths (also formula at 4 mths)
DD #3 7.5 mths.( to taste, got a bite or 2 of solids a week until 9 mths)

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
uoducks
Registered Users

On average, a baby doesn't get their teeth until 7mths of age. My daught who is 7.5mths is just now getting her 1st tooth. She has been eating cereals, fruits, veggies, since a little over 5mths old. Each baby is different of course, so it's up to us to watch for signs of readiness. Solids are reccomended at between 4-6mths. I am not making up this reccomendation, it comes from the book WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR. This is a well respected book written by doctors, nurses, etc. Here's a quote from the book, pg 316 in the 5mth old section. "right now your baby is only dabbling in solids; most nutritional requirements are still being filled with breast milk or formula. But from the 6th month on, breast milk or formula alone won't be enough to meet ALL your baby's needs, and by the end of the year, most of baby's nutrition will come from other sources."
Our Pediatrician said 6mths is generally when they start solids. I tend to agree with starting at closer to 6mths than to 4mths because of the immaturity of their digestive systems at 4months. She also said to look for signs of interest in foods and her showing excitement when we eat.
If you aren't listening to your Pediatrian than who can you listen to?

ALso, in a previous posting here , a woman stated "I am sad about it too" (introducing solids). The feeling I am getting loud and clear from some moms here is that they are more interested in their own feelings than the needs of their children.
We should all have a problem with that kind of attitude and behavior. Our job is not to withhold our children from more sources of nutrition just because " it makes us feel bad" or because we want to breastfeed longer just to fulfill your own needs.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09

Last edited by uoducks; 11-19-2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydlr View Post
I do not mean to pick a fight, so please do not take offense to this, but it is simply not true that breast milk doesn't meet their nutritional needs after 6 months. I have known many perfectly healthy kids from my LLL group who didn't start solids until 1 year or later, with no nutritional deficiencies. Often times, children will exclusively breast feed longer if they are going to be prone to allergies. Also, getting teeth IS one of the signs of readiness for solids! Also showing strong interest in what you're eating (following with eyes, reaching, opening mouth), being able to sit up, and losing the tongue thrust reflex. Every child is ready in their own time and you should follow their lead instead of worrying about the calendar. Check out La Leche League's website for great info, or better yet, visit your local LLL group.

Charlotte
Old 11-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both mine started after they turned 1 Year-Old. Theres no real need before that if breastfeeding!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
On average, a baby doesn't get their teeth until 7mths of age. My daught who is 7.5mths is just now getting her 1st tooth. She has been eating cereals, fruits, veggies, since a little over 5mths old. Each baby is different of course, so it's up to us to watch for signs of readiness. Solids are reccomended at between 4-6mths. I am not making up this reccomendation, it comes from the book WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR. This is a well respected book written by doctors, nurses, etc. Here's a quote from the book, pg 316 in the 5mth old section. "right now your baby is only dabbling in solids; most nutritional requirements are still being filled with breast milk or formula. But from the 6th month on, breast milk or formula alone won't be enough to meet ALL your baby's needs, and by the end of the year, most of baby's nutrition will come from other sources."
Our Pediatrician said 6mths is generally when they start solids. I tend to agree with starting at closer to 6mths than to 4mths because of the immaturity of their digestive systems at 4months. She also said to look for signs of interest in foods and her showing excitement when we eat.
If you aren't listening to your Pediatrian than who can you listen to?

ALso, in a previous posting here , a woman stated "I am sad about it too" (introducing solids). Are you kidding me? The feeling I am getting loud and clear from some moms here is that they are more interested in their own feelings than the needs of their children.
We should all have a problem with that kind of attitude and behavior. Our job is not to withhold our children from more sources of nutrition just because " it makes us feel bad" or because we want to breastfeed longer just to fulfill your own needs.
I will say it again - that is awful info & an awful book with A TON of mis-information! I wouldnt trust that book or listen to what it says for a Million Dollars!

AND WOW, rude much? MANY Mothers feel sad about their child growing up and starting solids, weaning, etc - that DOES NOT mean they are withholding from their kids for their own emotional state! WTF! Breastmilk GROWS with your child therefor HELPING their brains and bodies! If you read only one book and 100% trust that one book apperently you wont know UPDATED info and the truth

Also, solids are reccomended at 6months NOT BEFORE - you OBVIOUSLY have an outdated book and not a very good one by that!

Both of my kids were EXCLUSIVLY BREASTFED until they were over a year. Our DR didnt say anything negative about it and said more Mothers should EBF longer than 6months!

Again, 6months at the least and that book is full of OPINIONS!!!!!

OP! I would wait, there is no rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Calideedle; 11-19-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #16
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started my DD at 6 months with infant cereal. I would have exclusively BF for longer.. but, her iron was low at her 6 month check up.. so, my pediatrician recommended that I start solids. She's going on 8 months now and she has about 1/4 cup of solids twice a day in addition to breast milk.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #17
uoducks
Registered Users

This book is a great book and I highly recommend it
"WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR"

lots of helpful tips and information about our growing babies broken down into a month by month timeline. There's even a first aid section in the back.

Great Lentil stew recipe also in the book. I posted this recipe on the kitchen forum.

I am happy for my daught. that she is able to experience different flavors and tastes and still gets to bf. She gets the best of both worlds!

Yes, like another mom stated they don't get as much iron from our breastmilk after 6mths and it must come from other sources of nutrition (fortified cereal, lentils, beans are good source of iron and fiber)

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09

Last edited by uoducks; 11-19-2007 at 12:24 AM.
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

DS1 was FF and started solids at 4 months. It's what was recommended "back in the day
DD was BF and FF and started around 10 months. She hated purees so we went straight to table food when she was ready.
DS2 was 7 months (exclusively BF). He's a food FIEND. He loves everything. His favorite foods are bits of bread and tiny chunks of banana.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What to Expect During the First Year also says that cloth diapers are unsanitary, so disposables are your best bet!! Also says that co-sleeping is unsafe and that schedules and CIO are good for babies I HATE THIS BOOK!!!!!

As for solids, we started around 8 months, and E still doesn't eat solids every day, nor does she eat much of anything that I give her--she definitely prefers breastmilk, and that is fine with me because it gives her the BEST nutrients possible, even better than solids. As for iron, your breastmilk is most often still the best source for iron for a baby because it is absorbed more efficiently than iron in ANY solid food!!!! Yes it has less iron than, say Iron-fortified baby cereal, but your baby will absorb more of your bm's iron than the cereal--here is a link about that: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

And the chart that's from that page:
Quote:
Iron Source and Percentage of Iron Absorbed
breastmilk
~50 - 70%
iron-fortified cow milk formula
~3 - 12%
iron-fortified soy formula
less than 1% - 7%
iron-fortified cereals
4 - 10%
cow's milk
~10%
Note: The amount of iron absorbed from any food depends greatly upon the milk source of iron (eg, human vs cow), type of iron compound in the food, the body's need for iron, and the other foods eaten at the same meal.
I know that in other countries, babies thrive on bm alone for the first 12+ months, so food is not necessary for a while. We just followed E's ready signs and what feels right to me. Foods are often called weaning foods (by the LLL) because baby starts to nurse less when she starts to eat more solids--so just keep that in mind--it was important to me to nurse more often, so we don't have a lot to do with solids yet!!
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #20
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that the whole "what to expect" series is horrible.

Reilly started solids at 3.5ish months because of reflux.

Finn turned 6 months yesterday and he's had some tastes, but not a thing consistent. In fact, all he's had really is what his big brother has fed him

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote