Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #21
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you give solids?

We started when DD was about 7 months old. We started with smashed avacado, the worked our way through fruits and veggies giving each thing for 4-5 days to watch for allergies. After about 2 month we made our way through most of the basic stuff then i started to make mixtures. She did so well and eats like a champ now! Danni

EAT: I also thik that the What to Expect books have very little information that is true or useful. It is written very much in a persons opinion not with fact or research.

Advertisement

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?

Last edited by zosiasmama; 11-19-2007 at 07:08 AM.
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
What to Expect During the First Year also says that cloth diapers are unsanitary, so disposables are your best bet!! Also says that co-sleeping is unsafe and that schedules and CIO are good for babies I HATE THIS BOOK!!!!!

As for solids, we started around 8 months, and E still doesn't eat solids every day, nor does she eat much of anything that I give her--she definitely prefers breastmilk, and that is fine with me because it gives her the BEST nutrients possible, even better than solids. As for iron, your breastmilk is most often still the best source for iron for a baby because it is absorbed more efficiently than iron in ANY solid food!!!! Yes it has less iron than, say Iron-fortified baby cereal, but your baby will absorb more of your bm's iron than the cereal--here is a link about that: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

And the chart that's from that page:

I know that in other countries, babies thrive on bm alone for the first 12+ months, so food is not necessary for a while. We just followed E's ready signs and what feels right to me. Foods are often called weaning foods (by the LLL) because baby starts to nurse less when she starts to eat more solids--so just keep that in mind--it was important to me to nurse more often, so we don't have a lot to do with solids yet!!
THANK YOU! And AMEN!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #23
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
This book is a great book and I highly recommend it
"WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR"

lots of helpful tips and information about our growing babies broken down into a month by month timeline. There's even a first aid section in the back.

Great Lentil stew recipe also in the book. I posted this recipe on the kitchen forum.

I am happy for my daught. that she is able to experience different flavors and tastes and still gets to bf. She gets the best of both worlds!

Yes, like another mom stated they don't get as much iron from our breastmilk after 6mths and it must come from other sources of nutrition (fortified cereal, lentils, beans are good source of iron and fiber)
That book along with the rest of the what to expect series is a piece of crap.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #24
jenkathryn
Registered Users
seller

We started at 9 months due to a strong family hx of allergies and DD didn't seem that ready before (at 10.5 m she still isn't that into it and I'm not worried about it). I agree about the iron in breastmilk being better absorbed than other products. She is extremely healthy and thriving.
I definitely agree with the What to Expect series not being sound research and I find it annoying that misinformation is so widely published. The book made me so frustrated while reading it (I like to do research and knew that some of the things in there were completely unscientific and untrue).
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #25
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

10 months for Aydin...that's when he was ready.
13 months for Asher...that's when he was ready.

I tried with both of them at the 6 month mark, but they wouldn't take it at all (even though Aydin had been showing signs of interest!)
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #26
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

We started at 6.5 months with dd. DS is almost six months old... I don't know. We may wait a few more months. I told DH he needs to install a diaper sprayer before we start solids. At the rate he accomplishes things on his honey do list.... DS may be ten. (Not ten months... ten years, lol!)
Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #27
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
After 6mths, breastmilk is no longer meeting all their needs.
This statement is entirely false! The AAP recommends introducing solids at around 6 months of age...do you know what that means? It means to stick a little food on the tip of your finger and let them taste it. A taste! Not meals...certainly not enough to be replacing nursing sessions. Breastmilk/formula is all the nutrition needed for the first year of life.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #28
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

all 3 boys started at 4 mos...though E i've been slacking though he is the hungriest of the bunch. max turned 4 mos and immediately started salivating & opening his mouth everytime we would eat...same with E, but i've been the one who has been slacking, we just moved and everything is hectic. in general he'll probably eat breakfast/lunch/dinner almost everyother day. a jar or two each meal, though this hasn't replaced ANY of his nursings...i nurse him before and even after eating solids he still wants to nurse 2-3 hrs after

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #29
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As one of my kids' pediatrician's put it, "If there's really something with that many answers and none of them are truly definitive, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot in the long run."
I think this is a good example. Obviously, don't give your newborn steak, but don't wait until he's 2 either.
For me, I watched for signs from my babies:
Sitting with minimal assistance
Interest in my food
Hand to mouth coordination
Loss of tongue thrust reflex
I don't think teeth have a lot to do with it-IMO. DD got her first at 5 months and DS got his first at 9. Both showed signs of readiness at 5 months, so I tried some lumpy cereal with them. DS spit it out, so I backed off and waited. DD swallowed, smiled, and banged excitedly on her tray for more.
DD is nearly 7 months old and I'm sure she'll eat off my plate for Thanksgiving: sweet potato, a taste of cranberry sauce/jelly, mashed green beans, a taste of pumpkin pie filling, etc.
At this age, I can nurse her right before solids, let her eat solids until she's done, and she still wants to nurse 2-3 hours later. She knows what she still needs.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #30
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 3 year old started at almost 6 months

and my almost 9 month old started at 5 months, she was more then ready though...trying to steal our food! she started with rice cereal.....

we've gone slow though....she was on just cereal once a day for a month...now most of the time she eats 2x's and gets what we eat one of those times...she hasn't had a lot of differant foods yet though