Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #41
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you give solids?

I'm going to bow out of this thread as it is for BF support, but I've stated my own experience of co-sleeping in the thread about the credentials around the what to expect books. See you there.

Advertisement

Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #42
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
Oh so this book does have some value when I state something you support?

Again, before assuming one should actually read the book.
From my experience as a first time mom, this book has helped us a lot. I like to be able to look in the index for whatever it is.. and be able to turn to a page and get information I need.
I don't care if I agreed with half that book, I still think it's a waste of money. I do own it, I've read it, I'm glad I didn't spend a dime on it (it was given to me). I'm a first time mom too. I'm glad you like it. I don't. BFing is natural...I'm not arguing with you about it, k? I don't think it's valuable in any way, shape, or form other than leveling out my dining room table.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #43
eeyorenuckols
Registered Users

My Mood:

1st baby I started at 6 months
2nd baby same
3rd around 5months maybe sooner
4th around 5months
I did BF all of them too. With my last one I had to quit bfding due to medical reasons. She is doing very well with formula and solids now.
My 3rd baby was introduced sooner than the first 2 and she eats pretty much anything. My first 2 are very picky. I think introducing solids at 6 months or sooner has worked best for us, but that's just in my thoughts on it.
eeyorenuckols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #44
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So this is a little off topic, but I have to say my
The "What to Expect" books have been around a long time. They have gone through numerous revisions as times have changed and more research has come out regarding all sorts of baby related issues. If you happen to have read an older edition, you will find all sorts of things that don't "jive" with the current trends and research. The newer ones do have "better" information.
As for co sleeping, I know that isn't what this thread is about, but again, my . I co sleep, but I know that for some people it really is dangerous for their babies. Some people are heavier sleepers. Some people sleep like a tornado and thrash about, etc. SOME babies sleep better in their own space.
Anywho, we are all doing our best as parents. There is not a "one size fits all" mold we can conform ourselves to.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #45
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
I acutally own this book (What to Expect, The first YEAr) I do not see where it says cloth diapering is unsanitary. Where do you see that? it says to store them in a sanitary way (pail, etc).
It gives both sides of most issues in this book including co-sleeping, diapering, sleeping. There are risks/rewards for each method outlined in the book.
A lot of it is common sense and I think it's a great resource.
It says the authors Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, and Sandee hathaway are B.S.N's (Bachelors of Science in Nursing) The other contributors stated in the book are American Academy of Peidatrics, Professor of Pediatrics at The Penn State Children's Hospital, and other doctors.
If those are not reliable credentials, I don't know what is. You say you don't "trust" the information, but you don't say what part.
It gives BOTH sides on most any issue..like co-sleeping, etc.

Co-sleeping is dangerous. You don't need a book to tell you. When my daught. was only weeks old.. i would bring her into our bed just for a few hours.. and I had several close call.. cause I fell asleep and the covers would be over her.
She still comes into bed in the morning after sleeping all night in her room, in her own crib and nurses but she is 7.5mths..and I am still taking risk!! I would NEVER sleep all night in a bed with her..especially as a newborn. Her room is right across the hall so she is still close by but is able to sleep freely without interruptions and the dangers of suffocation by my hubby and I or blankets , pillows..etc.
If you are going to accuse this book of false information you should really have some specifics available.

As far as feeding goes..this book is mostly talking about solids as "tastes" and experiences for the baby..you are not giving your baby steak.
That's why I said before and what this book says that breastfeeding/formula should be continued for at least the 1st year of life.
Page 20 (in my hardback edition that I got as a "gift")
Quote:
Home-laundered cloth diapers: These may be the clear loser compared to the other two choices. Because they can't be adequately sanitized, home-laundered diapers are, according to studies, more likely to cause diaper rash...
Which we all must agree is not true, since we are here on a cloth diapering board.

I also have to disagree with your assessment of co-sleeping, but will not bring that up in this thread since it is about starting solids. But there are MANY studies that promote safe co-sleeping--one of your mistakes was having blankets around your baby in the first place.
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #46
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
I also have to disagree with your assessment of co-sleeping, but will not bring that up in this thread since it is about starting solids. But there are MANY studies that promote safe co-sleeping--one of your mistakes was having blankets around your baby in the first place.
Very true!!!!!!!!

That is also your (unoducks or whatever) opinion. RESEARCH shows that SAFE CO-SLEEPING (ie - not covering your baby with blankets, not drinking/doing drugs, not severly overweight) is very safe AND helps the child very much!

We always have and always will co-sleep!

Last edited by Calideedle; 11-20-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #47
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23boys View Post
All that being said - thank you for your ideas - thank you for loving your child enough to make the best decision for him or her under your own circumstances. We're all just doing the best we can and know how to do, aren't we?
Yes, you're right. And I congratulate you for coming here and asking opinions, doing your own research, then making the best decision for your family. Whatever people decide for their own family is probably the right decision for them, but I cannot stand for false information about breastfeeding to be spread around.