Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:
baby food

Hi All
My 9 month old is so into wathcing us eat now. He does really good on his baby food and I have given him some cherrios and those gerber finger foods, I am wondering what everyone has given their babies as far as table foods before the 1st year. I know about all the no no's such as peanut butter and eggs and such. But I was looking for other ideas to give him.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

Re: baby food

carrots, peas, greenbeans, ravioli the gerber kind. steamed asparagus cut small, baked sweet potatoes with peaches, squash, Beets, Brussel sprouts,spinach, caramelized onions with apples and carrots,
Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
aliks
Registered Users
seller

My son is picky, so he'll only eat pasta and today he nearly ate 1/2 of a banana, I just sliced it real thin.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapple
I know about all the no no's such as peanut butter and eggs and such.
Actually egg yolks are fine.. it's the egg-white that can cause problems.

DD has been eating chunky finger foods since about 9-10 months. In addition to crackers, she would get peices of soft fruits... avocados, bananas, peaches, cherries, grapes, etc, as well as stuff that we're eating.. like cooked veggies such as broccoli, potatoes, lima beans, kidney beans, peas, corn, rice, and things like that.. stuff that she can pick up and mush up herself. Once she was able to feed herself, she just about lost ALL interest in eating "mush". I don't go out of my way to make her special stuff, she just has what we eat.

Now that she has more teeth (molars) she gets raisins and other dried fruits, as well as bits of whatever we are eating.

The only thing we still feed her ourselves is yogurt and oatmeal.. since she's a ways off from being able to spoon-feed herself
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Carrie
Registered Users

The only no-no's I know of are:
egg whites
peanut butter
honey (risk of botulism before age 1)

The main thing is to add the new foods one at a time so if something causes a reaction, you will know what it is. But a 9 month old is ready to start table foods, and can probably handle most foods as long as they aren't chokable.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I know he is ready for table foods- he is almost salavating whenever he is watching us eat. I jsut wanted to get some ideas for smaller foods and such. My older son is 6 and it is amazing how fast you forget things.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

My son is a bit over 8 months now and is all OVER us when we eat. He goes nuts if he sees us eating and we don't share. He's gotten really good with the "pincher" grasp, so we give him the easily mushable foods that we eat - chopped green beans or cooked carrots, lima beans, banana, crackers and bits of bread (just have to watch close with bread so he doesn't get a big wad of it in his mouth), baked potato, melon...pretty much anything we eat that is very soft, but firm enough that he can pick it up.

I just kinda look at my plate and say "could I eat that if I had no teeth?" and if I could, he gets a bit of it.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

If you want to make your own baby food I highly recommend Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron - has very good recipes and talks all about freezing, storing, etc. I wish I had found it earlier.

Some of DS favorite first foods were yams, butternut squash, carrots, bananas are always easy, avacados.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

I have a chopper from The Pampered Chef and I just chop up a portion of whatever we are eating for dinner for ds into manageable chunks (as long as it doesn't have PB or Honey in it, which we rarely eat anyways) and he eats along with us, and he is 10 mo. I use jars for lunch. Works well, and he gets to taste regular food and experience actually texture, instead of just pureed stuff. He only has one little tooth too, so he can gum it just fine!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuanda
If you want to make your own baby food I highly recommend Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron - has very good recipes and talks all about freezing, storing, etc. I wish I had found it earlier.

Some of DS favorite first foods were yams, butternut squash, carrots, bananas are always easy, avacados.

GREAT book! Inspired me to make all our own babyfood!

I'm going back through it now that DS is getting past the puree'd stage to see her todler recipes and they are all awesome.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote