Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD won't take solids

My 7.5 month old doesn't want to take solids we started trying at 6 months and she wants nothing to do with it. She just lets the food sit on her tongue and doesn't swallow it. I talked to the LC at support group today and they said to really try solids for a week or two and if she doesn't seem to be getting it or eating to call our early intervention to get her evaluated. They (and me) are not worried about her nutritionally because she is getting what she needs from the breastmilk but I would like her to learn to eat solids as well.

Does anyone have and great suggestions? They told me to offer her things in a mesh feeder to see if seems to be a flavor thing or a texture thing. They also said offer her finger foods and see how she does with those, so that is the current plan but I am open to suggestions.

Advertisement

Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD won't take solids

If she doesn't want them, she's not ready.

We went through the SAME thing and Maddie finally started taking them at 10 months.

She will learn, don't rush her. Let her lead the way.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
nicolew8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if I have any great suggestions; my DD wouldn't eat any significant amount of solids until she was about 13 months old. My DD problem was texture. She hated anything that wasn't smooth, even things like applesauce were too much for her. My nephew on the other hand loved chunky foods almost from the very beginning. I'd try experimenting with some different textures and see if that's the problem. If you think taste is more of the issue I'd try something really mild and mix it with a little breastmilk to ease her in to it. Or give it a rest for a few days and try again. Sometimes I think they're just not in the mood...
nicolew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

I think your plan sounds good. . . my first son LOVED baby food - I thought he would be eating it forever!!

Son #2 wouldn't eat baby food at all - he went right from BM to table food.

Good luck!
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
MamaTiff~n~herMonkeys
CRUNCHY as GRAPE NUTS
seller

My Mood:

My DD will be 8 mths next tuesday and wont eat solids anymore. But she was eating them since 4 mths old the 6 mths old STOPPED!!

ON THE FRICKIN WAGON ~DAY 7
MamaTiff~n~herMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
jausten
Registered Users
seller

I would just wait it out. There's no harm in continuing to try, but just give her time.
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started my LO (who is now 14mo) on solids at 6.5mo when he was downing 32-40oz of formula a day. (Yes, he's a big solid boy.) He didn't want anything to do with any solid food and I would just try a little something every couple days and finally at about 7.5mo he took 2Tbls of sweet potatoes. Yay! WRONG! He screamed for hours. Come to find out he has lots of intolerance/allergies to food and his body knew best.
So, I really wouldn't push it unless there is a pressing reason why she needs to be eating solids. Just try a little here and there and she'll let you know.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
momtoamiracle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dr told me that until 12mnths old they get all their nutrition from formula/breastmilk. Food is just extra. If she's not ready DON"T PUSH IT! She'll eat when she's ready. She's fine nutritionally.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD had the same problem, but for some reason, she would take solids when DH fed her, but not from me. So from age 6-8mo, she only ate (solids) once a day, when DH got home. We also did finger foods, hard toast, and all home-made baby food, and eventually, she did get hungry enough to let mommy feed her. It is reassuring to know that they do get all the nutrition they need from breastmilk during times like this!
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
hauser
Registered Users
seller

We didn't even try until 8 mo. He pretty much just ate bread at that point until he was about 11 months.

I would just give her more time, she is just on her own schedule. Just keep giving her soft veggies and things every night when you have dinner and eventually I am sure she will find them interesting and tasty.

Last edited by hauser; 11-26-2007 at 02:00 PM.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote