Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Food Intolerance Question...yet again.....

Okay I am yet again asking another question trying to figure everything out. We have had such a rough start with the food stuff, oversupply, and now we have thrush (mainly me, he just has one tiny little spot) and ds is only 4 weeks old.

So he started having some mucous in his stool around 2 weeks but wasn't fussy so we didn't do anything. Then come 3 weeks he started getting a lot more fussy acting uncomfortable and still having mucousy stools....although now he only poops every 2 days. My first had MSPI so we were watching and last Wed. I cut out all dairy...I wasn't drinking milk, eating plain cheese, ice cream, or yogurt. Was trying to stay away from the biggies. I have seen an improvement, not huge or anything, in his behavior. He was more happy all around but is still acting really fussy right after feedings.....he hasn't nursed to sleep once probably in over a week. Usually after every feeding it's an 30-90 mintue ordeal to get him to sleep...but then usually he will sleep awhile. He doesn't scream the whole time but acts umcomfy and a lot of times will be almost asleep and I hear him wet burp and he has been spitting up during this time and sometimes he acts like it bothers him and sometimes not. It mainly takes me usually putting him the wrap with his binkie and bouncing, walking, and rocking until he goes to sleep. I also have thought of reflux too, since most of fussiness is after he eats. Although he is still having the mucousy stools though...sometimes more mucousy then others...but usually TMI I am sure, it looks like a little glob.

I just don't know what I should do or how normal for a 4 week old this is. I know their tummies have to adjust and sometimes I wonder if he eats to fast or something. My first cried 24/7 for his first 3 months so I don't really what a normal baby is like ... Kingston will usually sleep and eat okay at night...he usually sleeps one 2ish or 3ish hour stretch and then nurses (we cosleep) and goes right back to sleep for another couple and then starts getting fussy and acting uncomfortable. So I guess I am looking for any advice...I don't know if I should try to cut more foods or what.

Hope this makes sense it's late and I just was just walking the floors with him and thought you know what maybe he does cry more then a normal baby....compared to my first it's nothing....but I'd say he spends a few hours a day crying/or acting real uncomfortable. I just miss him nursing to sleep ...he use to blissfully nurse to sleep and now usually nursing ends up starting a fussfest lol.

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Food Intolerance Question...yet again.....

My DD went through a stage with mucousy (sp) stools. I tried cutting out dairy and "thought" it made a little difference in her behavior. It did change her stools over a couple of weeks, but that could have just happened on its own, too! Whatever it was, it cleared up in a month's time regardless of what I ate. She also went from going to sleep easily to needing a lot of rocking, walking, patting, etc. I think it's pretty normal for the most part. Even though it stinks.
IF it is a food issue, here are a couple of thoughts:
1) I've heard it can take up to 2 weeks for eliminated foods to get completely out of the mother's system.
2) Soy and wheat products are two other common breastmilk related irritants/allergens.
HTH and hang in there.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could it be both reflux and a food intolerance? He sounds like he has pretty classic reflux...the poop issue could be unrelated. My 1st had food intolerances to egg/dairy (later diagnosed with egg allergy) and had weird poops. My 2nd has reflux, and I could have written the first part of your post. He would scream for 2 hrs before finally falling asleep at night - and forget nursing to sleep. The wrap was our best friend as it let him stay upright better. We've held off with him on solid foods because when we tried a few bites of applesauce, he ended up with the gelatinous goo poop. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Maybe look into them both...As the PP mentioned, it can take a while for the allergens to leave your system. Maybe he just needs a little more time? I'm sorry I can't help more. Hang in there! It's always tough to have an unhappy baby! Hope you find what's bothering him!

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If there is still mucous in his stools CUT OUT ALL DAIRY AND SOY!!!!!!!!
I would do a total elemination diet for two weeks and then slowly introduce 1 thing at a time per week. DO NOT add dairy or soy to your diet until they get older.

For the elimination diet, you will start with Turkey or lamb, rice
(preferably brown rice) or millet, squash (yellow or zucchini ) you might choose potatoes (both white and sweet potatoes) instead of squash) and pears. You can drink water, rice milk or pear juice. You can season / cook with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. It is very, very important
that you eat enough food on this diet. Even if you get tired of these
foods, don't avoid eating or it will negatively impact both your
health and your milk supply. It is vital that you take a good quality
multi-vitamin during this time, as well as supplemental calcium. One week
after that, if he has no reaction then you can begin adding in one new
food each week. Start with the least allergenic foods.

Here is a link to a "hidden
dairy" cheat sheet:
http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...en-dairy01.pdf
Here is another link to more info on various elimination diets:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...l#specificlink

Last edited by eragsdale; 11-20-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: words
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

delete; sorry hit it twice.

Last edited by eragsdale; 11-20-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thanks guys for your responses.

I do think it *could* be reflux and the fact that he gets so fussy right after almost every feeding makes me wonder.

I have thought about the elimination diet....but I didn't think mucousy stools was enough reason to do it. Although he is fussy....but not miserable all day. I just called his doctor to get his take on it....he is pretty knowledgeable in breastfeeding so we'll see what he says. One thing that throws me off with him is that he does sleep decent at night...once he finally goes to sleep. My first would scream half the night....

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh I was going to ask also has anyone heard of where they test their stools for nonvisiable blood? I know my doula told me that the breastfeeding support center (that has a md on staff) does that. I had never heard of that.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by va703 View Post
Could it be both reflux and a food intolerance? He sounds like he has pretty classic reflux...the poop issue could be unrelated. My 1st had food intolerances to egg/dairy (later diagnosed with egg allergy) and had weird poops. My 2nd has reflux, and I could have written the first part of your post. He would scream for 2 hrs before finally falling asleep at night - and forget nursing to sleep. The wrap was our best friend as it let him stay upright better. We've held off with him on solid foods because when we tried a few bites of applesauce, he ended up with the gelatinous goo poop. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Maybe look into them both...As the PP mentioned, it can take a while for the allergens to leave your system. Maybe he just needs a little more time? I'm sorry I can't help more. Hang in there! It's always tough to have an unhappy baby! Hope you find what's bothering him!
Hey Mama did you put him on meds or did he just outgrow the reflux??
We are going to see his doctor this afternoon.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Oh I was going to ask also has anyone heard of where they test their stools for nonvisiable blood? I know my doula told me that the breastfeeding support center (that has a md on staff) does that. I had never heard of that.

We had to take swabs for 3 days and then they sent it off to a lab to get it done; I've never heard of them doing it AT the office! That would be nice though; you wouldn't have to wait the 3 days.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va703 View Post

We didn't start Daniel on solids until 6 months; and we started with veggies/fruit. He actually hasn't had any cereal and is gaining wait just fine. We were told to hold off on the applesauce until 9months becuase of the different kind of acid in it. Also with bananas for the same reason.

He LOVES pears though; the brown variaty better than the green/yellow.

Daniel is also on Zantac as needed at night.