Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TMI alert!!! Severe Constipation.

Soneone pelase tell me i am not the only one who deals wtih this... I have been so severely constipated with no reasons whyt he last fewdays... Today I couldnt even function. I felt so icky and so sick, and i couldnt even eat, i felt so bloated...
I drink a TON of water. and by a ton i mean 1-2 gallons a day. No caffiene in my diet. I eat veggies all the time, have been eating plums and rasins daily... I also limit my meat intake.

why am i like this. This happens whenever i am pregannt really bad. So bad my hubby even sincerely feels for me, whihc is rare, since he is not the most sympathetic person in the world.

What can i do. i do ake colace, but i am afraid to become dependant on that.
Please anyone have any ideas....

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: TMI alert!!! Severe Constipation.

Other than metamucil, etc. I don't have any suggestions. Try massaging your abdomen, or taking a warm bath. Sometimes the warm bath helps break things up for me and get them moving.
Honestly, I get diarrhea like the ****ens when I'm pregnant, LOL. In my case it's better than being super constipated but sometimes I wish I could stop pooping for awhile.
I think it's just something that some women have SEVERELY when they're pg and that's just the way their bodies work.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

metamucil you can try GL! I had the same problem before.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am so sorry. I had this same problem with my last pregnancy and it was so aweful. I finally had to take colace pretty much throughout my whole pregnancy, not everyday but a couple times a week along with high fiber cereals and tons of water. Exercise also seemed to help. Hope you get to feeling better.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

All I can suggest is Metamucil. I have to opposite problem ~ I know the end is near when I can't stop going. It's like my body needs to clean itself out to prepar for the arrival. Is there anything that "stimulates" you to go? Like a certain type of dressing, chocolate or fast food? Maybe Mexican food or spicy food? I don't know, kind of reaching for a solution. Watch those prenatals ~ sometimes certain ones will really bind you up.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I have this problem every time I am pregnant. There have even been times I went to the hospital in pain! The thing that worked best for me was taking Milk of Magnesia every night before bed and in the morning i was able to go. Colace never worked for me so that wasn't an option. One time at the hospital they told me I could take magnesium citrate according to package directions if it got really bad. That was only to get me started though not to take regularly. My OB said the Milk of Magnesia is fine during pregnancy and it was what he reccommended me to take regularly.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I hope you have found some relief by now but here is my just in case. Maybe try a cup of hot coffee, if you are ok w/ coffee. The caffeine is a stimulant as is the hot water. If you don't like it black sweeten it w/ milk and sugar. I know we are supposed to limit caffeine during pregnancy (I am pregnant too) but in your case I say it won't hurt. Anyway it is ok to have it occasionally and this is an occasion that I say try it. Otherwise I agree w/ the pp about the metamucil and colace. I don't know about milk of magnesia, but I don't think it could hurt either.

Good luck I hope you feel better soon.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Oh, I forgot to ask. Do you take an iron supplement? Iron is very binding and can cause constipation. If you do take one, you may consider taking it every other day instead of every day, that is what I do to avoid this situation. If you are only taking a prenatal multi-vit maybe you should talk to your dr or mw about finding something w/ less iron depending on how much iron you need.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas.
I finally got some releif. but i still dont feel great. Hubby bought me (get this) 50 suppositories LOL. Im like. wow, the lady in the pharmacy probably thought you had MAJOR issues LOL.

All i could do last night was lay around. I feel bad, becaseu i have orders. but i had a hard time even sitting for 15 min at a time. Luckily today, i ill be able to whip thru most, I hope.

I am going out of town, and vacations always bind me up, since i eat toatlly differnt an i seem to never drink enough, so i plan to take my prunes and herbs supplement every day while i am in cali. and the day i get back is my first prenatal,so i hopehte doc can help me.

My prenatals done have a to of iron in them. Mainlybecasue i am iron sensitive and they make me puke. s i dont extrairon. My MW had me taking alfalfa instead,which also promotes healhty blood supply and placental development.. Maybe that is doing it. I dont know.

Thanks for the tips. I have benefiber, ( like metamucil but no flavor and not thick) I wil be taking that too.

This has to be the worst part of pregnancy.....

I ordered some earth mama bum butter last night. I hopethis will take away my bum pain. LOL
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some prenatal vitamins have stool softeners in them. I don't know how well it works, because I didn't have problems in the pregnancies where I took regular prenatal vitamins, but it might be worth trying.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote