Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about waterbirth

I've talked to my midwife about doing a waterbirth. as long as there is a tub available, i'll be able to! i'm wondering if any mamas have both water and out of water birth experiences? how do they compare? what are the + and -? my dh would really like to "catch" this baby-would that be possible in the water? i'm open to any info/input. thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Tell me about waterbirth

I am going to be quick I am sooo tired...but I had a both a waterbirth and regular and the waterbirth was 100 times better! I won't have a baby any other way again.

My first was 7lbs 10oz and I had two third degree tears...lots of stitiches. My second was 8lbs 7oz nothing but a skid mark as my midwife called it.

The actual birth was *more* bearable. The best part was after he was born he just laid there on my chest and looked at me and was incredibly calm. He stayed that way the whole time he laid on my chest.

As for catching the baby...my dh was sort of planning on that. My midwife ended up doing it though because she had to turn his shoulders and I don't know it just didn't happen. My doula told me after that my dh wouldn't of been able to because I had such a death grip on his hand .

Totally reccomend one....my mom who thought I was crazy to go no meds and have a waterbirth, said it was the most beauitful birth she has ever seen and she even said she'd have her next be a waterbirth lol.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

I'm really looking forward to having a waterbirth. I love water, and it's not called an "aquadural" for nothing!

A friend of mine, who incidentally swears she's never having kids, said she watched some waterbirth videos on Youtube and wants to have one now. Now THAT'S sayin' something!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
kelllilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WATER BIRTH ROCKS! It's the best!!! lol

My first baby was a water labor and land birth, second was a full waterbirth. Of course everyone is different. Some end up finding the tub and heat annoying, but you don't know that going in.

Here's links to my birth stories:

DD #1 waterlabor-land birth

DD #2 waterbirth

The waterlabor/land birth was still great. The delivery was more painful, but still fast and DH got to see up close and personal! lol

My waterbirth was very quick. I was in the tub barely more than an hour before she was born. In a lot of cases the husband will be allowed to catch teh baby (my BF had a waterbirth too and her DH caught the baby and pushed her through the water to mama). For me personally... my baby's like to fly out and there was no time at ALL for him to get in a posistion to catch. She came out pretty much in one push. Some places will let Dh get into the tub with you,so check with your midwife for that option.

oh I should add, no tears with my first and only a tiny tear with the second (no stitches). The water will help your skin be more elastic and reduce your risk of tearing. I'm sure if i'd been able to be in teh water longer with the second I wouldn't have torn at all (I was in the water for around 5 hours with the first).

And I will say again WATERBIRTH ROCKS!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
kelllilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh, wanted to add the utube videos! these are awesome (a bit graphic just to warn you). They are from a hospital overseas with clear birthing tubs!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I had a water labor and land birth. I would have loved to have had a full water birth but the maternity center I delivered at had a no waterbirth policy so I had to get out to push. My midwife told me that water birthed babies typically need more suction and retain more fluid in their lungs, so I went with the land birth. Now I'm thinking the waterbirth would have been so much nicer. During labor my whole little universe was in that tub, man. I didn't want to even think about being anywhere else!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
JenniAnne
Registered Users

I see you are in MN. Are you in the cities? I had a waterbirth with my second at St. Joseph's in St. Paul and am planning a waterbirth in Waconia at Ridgeview Med Center in January (well I am hoping for December but know that's not going to happen).

I highly, highly recommend it. In fact I told hubby I would only consider having another if we could find a hospital that offered waterbirth close to our new house (I don't live close enough to St. Joe's to make it there in time, now). My first delivery was difficult; to make a long story short: vacuum extractor, tearing, basic lack of control of what was happening on my part. For my second--the waterbirth--the second I got into the tub the pain subsided A LOT. Also, labor progressed quickly; I attribute it to being able to squat comfortably and allow gravity to help. I was comfortable sitting/kneeling with my hubby right in front of me encouraging me. I am not sure if they would have let him in the tub with me, because I never checked. He is always instructed to stay with the baby immediately after delivery, so I wanted him dry and dressed just in case. I caught the baby myself and handed him off to hubby after a few minutes of cuddling in the tub. At St. Joe's the l&d nurse was willing to check apgar, airway etc. tubside while we held him--they were awesome. My midwife just ended up basically observing, because things went so quickly and smoothly.

Good luck! If you are in the cities and delivering either at St. Joe's or Waconia, let me know and I can give you details on Waconia after January or more details on St. Joe's
Old 11-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had both a hospital birth and a waterbirth in a tub (not a birthing pool) more of an oversize long tub with handles at the birthing center. I liked being able to lay completely flat and feel weightless. It took so much of the pain away. Both of my births were drug free but the hospital birth was agonizing and I tore terribly bad they stitched me for 2 hours! And my baby was only 7.2 19 inches. My waterbirth baby was 7.5 19.5 inches and not so much as a skid mark. I was also able to help pull her out, touch her head as she was crowning and hold her on my chest for some time (I wanted to wait until the cord stopped pulsating, but apparently it doesn't while you are still in the tub. After I had her I delivered the afterbirth in a bed while I nursed by clean baby and rubbed in the small traces of vernix(sp?) which normally gets wiped off at the hossy but it really acts as their first lotion! She never went through that scaley skin phase most newborns do! Also while I felt her crowning I was sure I was stretched to my max I remember yelling out that I was going to tear and The water helped my skin stay soft and stretchy and I didn't tear. The water was clear and she didn't even cry. The room was also only lit by candle light and I had 2 midwives a doula and my husband there with me It was truely a beautiful expirience one I look forward to doing again....and well I got that desire granted a bit sooner than I bargained for!haha
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the info mamas! i'm getting pretty excited for this!
Jennianne-i am in st paul and will be delivering at the HCMC midwife unit. i really liked my experience there with my ds
Old 11-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I am also planning a water birth if possible this time. I may go with what I had last time though as my EX got to catch the baby with me. My DH would like to do that too. I was on a birthing stool and the MW was on the floor. My EX sat behind me and I used his legs to put my elbows on and held his hands to push. When Jake came out we both caught him. It is a nice alternative if you are looking for one.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote