Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #101
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

No. I'm an only child and I'm adopted. I don't remember ever seeing or knowing of anyone breastfeeding.
My mom is pretty against breastfeeding. She doesn't go so far as to say it's harmful, but she thinks it's unneccessary.

Advertisement

SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #102
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom tried BF'ing my older brother, only lasted a few days I think, then as far as I know, gave up until #7 and #8 (yeah, I'm #2, there's a bunch of us). My little brother (#7) she BF for 18 months and I don't know how long with my littlest sister (#8). I was 12 and 14 when they were born, but I only remember seeing my mom BF once, so I can't say that she was a real big influence on my decision. I think she sent the rest of us away when she had to BF. But she is one of my biggest supporters now, even though in the beginning she did encourage me to give up when I was having problems.
My family and my SO's family really didn't have much influence on my BF'ing. MY SO's mom keeps telling me that she did it for "the important time", when she was at the hospital, and quite a few other people have told me it was time to give it up, as DS was too old. He's not even 5 months old yet!! Gosh.
Anyway.
I hope that I can be an example to some young girl who look at me and say "I think I'll BF, cuz I saw Ashley do it and I can tell it's a great thing to do!" Maybe that's a little too romantic of an idea.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #103
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No one I knew growing up was breastfed. I had zero exposure to it til I got married and SIL BF her son (apparently everyone in Huntville, Alabama does it according to her--she claims to not have any friends who didn't). She didn't know the medical benefits--her reasoning was purely selfish--lose weight fast and its free. Heck, I like those things too!

Luckily my very good friend breastfed her daughter and convinced me to try (that and cloth diapers), though I had not really thought I would stick with it. My original goal was to give it a shot til I went back to work. Well, 11.5 months later, we are still with it, despite my extended family being pretty unsupportive. My mom is daycare, and about once a week, she tells me to just give it up and stop giving up my lunches at work. That is really hard and frustrating, but it isn't worth arguing about it.

I have convinced a couple friends to at least try. My thoughts are that I am nothing special and if I can do it, so can anyone else with a little help.

I think it is so much better if you have a mentor or someone you can ask questions face to face.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-05-2008 at 09:50 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #104
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

My mom did not breastfeed me or my sister at all. She said that when she gave birth to us, she was so young, she just did what everyone told her to do. None of the doctors were pro breastfeeding. Breastfeeding wasn't really popular, so she didn't think twice she just fed us formula.

Things are different now 25 years later, research proves the benefits of breastfeeding, there's much more support for it. I've always known I want to breastfeed. I think it is naturally a mother's instinct.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #105
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am guessing no b/c my mom abandoned me when i was 5 weeks old. Actually the fact that she probbaly didnt was the biggest motivation for me to breastfeed!
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #106
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom nursed all 5 of us for different periods of time, I know my baby sister she nursed for just under 2 years, she also CDed us all. She was my savior when I had Riley(DS) because he was a lazy sucker and she helped me get him to nurse and I nursed him 15 months and Kyla 19 months and Brenna is still nursing and will stop when she is ready :-)

My MIL did not nurse he first 2 (my DH and his sister) but she tried with her last and got mastitis so she gave up. She told me when I had Riley that she had never known anyone to nurse and not use a bottle so there was no way I was going to be able to do it, she got really infuriating at times, but now she respects my decision and doesn't say anything, probably because she can't think of anything nice, lol!!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #107
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

My mom breastfed all three of us kids. I know she supplemented at least with my brother because she's made mention of the special lactose-free formula she had to get for him, but I know she did breastfeed. To what extent, I'm not sure. She's the only family member I have that is/was supportive of me BFing DS. Well, my grandma never voiced an opinion one way or the other, but the rest of them...sheesh. If I dared nurse in front of them you'd think I'd dropped my pants and taken a crap on the coffee table!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #108
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom did not and my grandma didn't either...in fact, that is really the reason I ended up not BFing DD. Not blaming them per se, but I did feel a lot of pressure in other people's hang ups (ie. then they are worried about bonding with the baby/they think it's weird)

I am so excited about breastfeeding my second though!
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #109
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yes, she breastfed all 8 of her babies. The shortest time was 3 months, when she got pregnant again and thought she had to quit, and the longest was 2 1/2 years. Most of us were bf for about 18 months. Being the fourth in a line of 8 gave me plenty of exposure to breastfeeding growing up. And cloth diapers too. She only used disposibles on one baby because she thought she was allergic to the cloth ones. We now think it was the bleach she used because that sister can't use bleach now with out problems. Anyway, I feel fortunate because I know it wasn't the thing to do back then. My MIL didn't bf her babies. She said she tried and just didn't have enough milk with the first two and didn't even bother with the rest. She is very supportive of me breastfeeding though and is always saying things about how fortunate I am to have lots of milk. But my DH was a little freaked out when he got around my bf family at first!! And so was my BIL who lived with us when my 1st baby was born. They were just too funny!! It sure doesn't phase them now though. I broke them in. Wow, I just added up the total years my mom bf a baby...13 years total. Me...7 years and 2 months. Got a while to catch up with her!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #110
waya
Banned

My Mood:

My mom BFed me until I was about 6.5, my hubby who is N.A. was until he was about 8 or 9 yo. It was CLW all the way with us. I BFed my own son til he was almost 7yo.
waya is offline   Reply With Quote