Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #121
KindaCrunchyMama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

My mom wasn't able to breastfeed me (I was the oldest) but she exclusivly breastfed my sister who until she was three!!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #122
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Till I was 13 months!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #123
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I'm the oldest of four, all breastfed. We all self-weaned, also, though we all weaned fairly young... between a year and 18 months, I think.

http://hyenacart.com/knitsNbits/index.php
Featuring handknits, handsewn/smocked baby clothes, and much more!
Check out my Handspun yarns for sale NOW at The Serenity Tree Congo
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #124
maryjane
Registered Users

I had one aunt by marriage that breastfed on my mom's side and one aunt by marriage on my dad's side that breastfed. I vaguely remember my one aunt pumping when I was a very young child and thinking it was odd. I was never around the other aunt. Everyone in my immediately family thought it was weird but accepted it. My mil was really uncomfortable with it for a long time. But she's uncomfortable with most baby related things. I don't know why I decided to breastfeed. I never wanted kids, never thought I'd have them. I got pregnant at 17. I tried to nurse my oldest and everyone around me discouraged me and fed me so much misinformation that it didn't work out for me. I was even more determined with my second and I was married and nowhere near my family so I had the support of my dh. Once I breastfed one you couldn't have paid me to use a bottle. I still don't know why I ever wanted to breastfeed to start with. Nobody I knew had ever done it. No one encouraged it or supported it and I wasn't real mothering or crunchy or anything, I guess maybe it was because I've always done things differently than my family. Probably I had read about the benefits who knows.

Last edited by maryjane; 01-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #125
SonitasTreasures
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom didn't breastfeed my brother (born in 1963) and only breastfed me for about 2 weeks (born 1977) because she got an infection and they told her to stop nursing.

The reason I chose to breastfeed my children (1st child 5 months, 2nd child still BFing at 13.5 months old) is the ONLY time I EVER remember seeing ANYONE breastfeed a baby, my mom's friend had a baby. When we went to see the baby (I was about 10 I think) and while we were there, sitting around talking, the baby started crying and she just started breastfeeding her. She asked my mom if she had breastfed (mom gave above answer) and then her friend said "Isn't it the most amazing feeling in the world!" She was so excited about it, so sincere and enthusiastic in her statement that it left THAT big of an impression on me!

Plus add that I read of all the benefits! No way I was giving my baby formula instead of at least trying to breastfeed. I just wish I had known more when my oldest went on his nursing strike. I thought he was self weaning at 5 months, I know now we could have made it past that. But I know now and I'm still breastfeeding my 13.5 month old with no end in sight, and I plan to let him self wean.

Last edited by SonitasTreasures; 01-10-2008 at 07:22 AM.
SonitasTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #126
JustJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine did too! She's the one who encouraged me the most.
JustJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #127
tmries
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

I breastfed my kids because I assumed I was breastfed! I read all I could about it, did my best - first child I had to express milk until he was 8 months and my second latched-on just fine and so I breastfed her until her 1st birthday.
NOW
the funny thing about my mom...
She had the four of us, I was the youngest/only girl. She was always very supportive and would brag about my efforts to breastfeed and stay-home to do so...
I told her, "Well, I work so hard because you did for us."
And she says, "I breastfed all your brothers, but by the time you came along, I finally agreed to use formula because you latched-on so hard, my nipples were raw."
I am extremely glad she kept quiet as long as she did.
tmries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #128
SonitasTreasures
Registered Users

My Mood:

LOL tmries! That's funny!
SonitasTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #129
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm the oldest and my mom didn't breastfeed me. She did breastfeed my sister and brother for about until they were about 4 months old, and supplemented with formula the whole time. After they were about 4 months old they were on only formula.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #130
Juliansmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My momma BF all her 4 children.We were all nursed untill we were 3 or 4 years old. Yup thats more than 15 years of BFing!!!!!!!!!
Juliansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote