Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #131
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

No, but she tried. My mom thinks she may have been given something to dry up her milk wih her first by accident. She tried, but her milk never came in. With her second, she managed to continue for 5 or 6 weeks. The whole time dealing with flat nipples, the usual first few weeks discomfort (engorgement, leaking), cracked nipples, a very fussy baby, and a VERY usupportive mother that was staying with her and constantly pushing her to 'just give him a bottle'. All that and then she ended up pregnant with me by the time he was 2mo. She then gave up and didn't bother trying with me.

She's always been supportive of my decision to breastfeed and has done anything she can to help me out (though she doesn't really understand all of it since she didn't get much experience). She's kind of indifferent toward my extended nursing (naking w/my almost 2yo right now ), but is not critical or unsupportive.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #132
JenS
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have actually been thinking about this subject over the past couple of weeks.
My mom did BF me and my youngest sister. She didn't BF my twin sisters although she tried - they were in the NICU for 2 months and stopped breathing when they would suck, so bottles were less work and safer for them. It was bottle feed or keep them in hospital longer - how things have changed in 30 years.

The thing is in my family BF'ing is so normal and just how God designed things.

DH was not BF and this it is "wierd". We are adopting and I want to ABF, but he is so totally not supportive, to the point that he said he wasn't even sure if he's be ok with it if we had a bio baby.
I've got a few months to convince him.
JenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #133
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom breastfed me for 18 months and my bro for 14 (until he got thrush and after they had healed, he had lost interest...)

I am still breastfeeding DS at 19 months with her full support!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #134
mommy2mady&sophie
Registered Users
seller

yup, my momma bfed me for 15 months, my sissy for 12 months(she said she bit her therefore she was weaned earlier ) and my brother for 8 months
Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #135
tmries
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenS View Post
The thing is in my family BF'ing is so normal and just how God designed things.

DH was not BF and this it is "wierd". We are adopting and I want to ABF, but he is so totally not supportive, to the point that he said he wasn't even sure if he's be ok with it if we had a bio baby.
I've got a few months to convince him.
Yeah - I remember encountering some adversity with my DH's mom. She never breastfed.
To the point of her wanting to know what was wrong with our first child's poop?
or
Why do I have to bring bottles with me? Wouldn't formula be easier?
Or worse...
What do you mean she's gotta pump? (First didn't latch-on, remember?)

Then I really threw her for a loop using cloth diapers...

It's all about you, really. Not anyone else's opinion. Yes, other's opinions can make you feel defensive or insecure... But imagine it's better to know you tried than to not know at all.
As for DH, well, mine was happy knowing I was getting up at night instead of him. We kept a red light bulb in a lamp so I could turn it on without waking him.

I loved the book, "So That's What They're For? Breastfeeding Basics." Awesome. It helped enormously with my second child.

tmries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #136
bugletmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

heck, no. in fact, even my grandmother did not bf my mother and uncle. and my other grandmother did not bf my dad or aunt.

you should have seen the looks i got when i decided to bf! imagine their shock when i bf ds till 18months!

when i had to wean my dd early, my mother was visibly relieved. it pissed me off!

but you know what, when i had dd, my son (who as then just turned 4) would sit on the couch with me and "nurse" his baby (again, more horror from my mother). it just made me so happy, because i keep thinking what a great daddy he will be one day, encouraging his wife to bf because to him that is how babies are fed.
bugletmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #137
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

My mom BF'ed me for 9 months, my little brother for 6 months. She was a working mom at the time. She actually hand-expressed milk when she was at work, into a funnel placed in a bottle, every 2-3 hours. She carried it to my daycare provider (at home daycare, and they were thankfully BF-friendly) in bottles. I can't imagine going to that extent to breastfeed. I thought pumping was difficult!

She's been very encouraging with the BFing thing, although we've had our difficulties.

My MIL, on the other hand. She breastfed for less than 3 weeks with each of her kids, all the time supplementing with formula. Yet, she still refers to her kids as "breastfed babies". She started solids at 2 weeks with each of her children, also. My poor DH was 16 lbs by the time he was 6 weeks old, and miserably constipated. He was born at 6 lbs. That just can't be healthy, kwim?
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #138
d_suazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom did not breastfeed any of her 3 kids. She said it was gross.

I was about 5 months pregnant when I discovered breastfeeding. I was going to a parenting class. I thought it was the best! No one supported me but my boyfriend. Thank goodness I had him there or I probably wouldnt of lasted very long
d_suazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #139
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was told that my Mother breastfed me when I was a newborn. She apparently stopped at 3 weeks, because the pediatrician told her that my jaundice would resolve faster if she fed me formula .
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #140
chasing blue
Registered Users

My Mood:

nope.

My mom was told that her "milk was bad" and that was why I was jaundice. She said she wanted to.

For me, I never thought about formula. I figured I had boobs and that's what they were for. It crushed me when I had to give my 2nd dd formula at 6 months because I got pregnant with #3 and I dried up.

My ds who is almost 2 nurses his baby (he sometimes carries a little baby doll of his sisters with him) or brings me the baby to nurse so I know he'll want his wife to do so. My girls know that breastfeeding is how you feed a baby so I'm sure they will.
chasing blue is offline   Reply With Quote