Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #161
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

I honest to goodness can not recall seeing ANYONE breastfeed when I was little. My mother included. She didn't breastfeed any of us.

The very vast majority of people around me find breastfeeding "strange." It just isnt really done around here, and I have been questions MANY times as to why I breastfeed. Seriously.

My mom neither breastfed me, AND she smoked around us. I was the sickliest child EVER.. had pnemonia CONSTANTLY. Thanks ma!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #162
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, she BFd all 3 children. She always jokes that she was "too poor" to formula feed, which is a good thing. I believe we were all BFd for 12 months.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #163
justinelauren
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom breast fed me for 6 weeks and my big sister for 2 weeks. I nursed my daughter for 2 years and going on 3 months with my son(we are trying for 2-3 years.) My sister is still nursing her son at 2.5 years.

We weren't really exposed to breast feeding growing up. I was nursed the longest out of all my cousins. I remember at age 9 seeing one of her friends breast feeding a newborn and that was the first time I had ever seen a woman nurse. Yet when I got pregnant, I just knew I was going to breast feed. Never gave a second thought to it and it came very naturally to me.

I think my mother would have nursed much longer if she had support. At the time, breast feeding wasn't encouraged(late 70s-mid 80s.) Her sisters and friends mostly gave formula...her mother gave them cow milk in a bottle. Doctors didn't really provide breast feeding support then and Mom didn't even know what a lactation consultant was until I had my daughter.
justinelauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #164
knox6306
Registered Users

No she didn't. We were all preemies.
knox6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #165
mamaBex
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yup, my mom BF'd me until I was over 2, my brother to 18 months, and my sister until just under 2. She weaned me because she was pregnant with my brother and was told that she "had" to by her OB (), but my brother and sister both self-weaned. None of us ever had a bottle in our lives

I think my mom B****** made a huge influence on my own commitment to B****** -that was just how babies were fed in my household. DS and I had a rough start with B******, but I never once thought of giving up because it was so ingrained that B****** was the norm. Thanks Mom!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #166
MyLovely
Registered Users

No, and knowing what she knows now she regrets it. We were born in 1989 (me) and 1993 (sister), and even though we're not that old, there just wasn't the "breast is best" message. She told me that if someone had even mentioned that there were benefits, she would have nursed. She also told me that if she had a baby today, she'd nurse for at least a year, probably about 18 months. She knows that I'll BF my kiddos for a minimum of two years, ideally for three, and she thinks it's a little weird but recognizes the benefits and is fully supportive
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #167
renee33019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, I'm the 1st one out of my family. No one has BF from my grandmother down to my 7 aunts including my mom and cousins. They all are supportive but didn't BF their children. Not sure why
renee33019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #168
swick
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom breastfed both my sister and I for at least 6 months, or longer. I nursed my daughter for about 6 weeks, and I am now nursing my son indefinitely. He's 3.5 months old.
swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #169
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no and even though i have more experience w/ BFing than her and have read countless things about BFing she thinks she knows more than me (she didnt even try to BF me). she insists to me that "supplementing with formula is the only way to go" (yeah...riiiiiiiight)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #170
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Yep My mom BF'd all three of us. I think for a year only though. She weaned me when my little brother was born (I was 11 mo. old) and I think she only nursed him for 6 months. She said he bit her all the time

I guess I still nursed once at night after my little bro was born though, so apparently she was tandem BF'ing as well

I also lived w/ a family when I was a teen and the mom nursed her girls until they were both 2.

My mom didn't push me either way, but was very supportive of BF. Then again, I would never have done formula if it was within my power not to. We struggled a lot w/ my son when he was uber tiny and worked really hard to have a successful BF'ing relationship. And it lasted until he weaned himself at 16 months