Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #171
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

yes but I do not know for how long. I also know she put cereal in bottles for us but at time (70's and early 80's) it was normal... she pumped when she needed to with a bulb syringe looking pump. when I busted out my medela PIS with my ds1 she was sooo excited and impressed!!!!!

she also cd'ed us with prefolds and vinyl covers.

my mom is NOT crunchy at all. However she is Mexican and very money-conscious. I think that is why she cd'ed and I think she breastfed us because she and my dad (caucasian) both think it is natural. My dad is also very money-conscious.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #172
momtomy3
Registered Users
Formerly: karismom
seller
seller

No, my mom said she was told her milk as sour. Haha

Nobody in my family had ever breastfed. When my sister was pregnant with one of my nephews when I was 18 (no kids of my own at the time), I preached and preached about breastfeeding. So much so that she let him latch on ONCE. That's all she'd do though, just to shut me up. Then when she had her youngest LO this January she used my breastfeeding against me. I had a lot of trouble (low supply, many cases of thrush, babies had major allergies, etc.)

I have no idea how I became such a pro-breast feeder or cloth diaperer. I had no influence, and actually had people telling me how disgusting both things were.

I hope that me BF/CD just makes it normal for my kids as they grow up. Although, my oldest stepdaughter (11) says she isn't going to bf her kids. Said her mom didn't breastfeed her and she's fine... so she won't. I have a lot more years to teach her the benefits of breastfeeding though, so hopefully she'll change her mind.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #173
momtomy3
Registered Users
Formerly: karismom
seller
seller

No, my mom said she was told her milk as sour. Haha

Nobody in my family had ever breastfed. When my sister was pregnant with one of my nephews when I was 18 (no kids of my own at the time), I preached and preached about breastfeeding. So much so that she let him latch on ONCE. That's all she'd do though, just to shut me up. Then when she had her youngest LO this January she used my breastfeeding against me. I had a lot of trouble (low supply, many cases of thrush, babies had major allergies, etc.)

I have no idea how I became such a pro-breast feeder or cloth diaperer. I had no influence, and actually had people telling me how disgusting both things were.

I hope that me BF/CD just makes it normal for my kids as they grow up. Although, my oldest stepdaughter (11) says she isn't going to bf her kids. Said her mom didn't breastfeed her and she's fine... so she won't. I have a lot more years to teach her the benefits of breastfeeding though, so hopefully she'll change her mind.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #174
azmokitty
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karismom View Post

I hope that me BF/CD just makes it normal for my kids as they grow up.
Same here! My mom did CD us though (I'm a bit *older* than some on here probably, and disposables weren't so prevalent when I was a baby). She FF all of us (I hate saying that even...ick). But, my older sisters both BFd their kids for at least a year. I am not sure if it was that, or my DH and I believing in a more AP way of parenting that led me to BF. But I knew that there was no other option for me. I hope my daughters feel the same when they have kids (and I bet they will...DD2 nurses her baby doll while I nurse her little sis sometimes...)
azmokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #175
kermit4777
Registered Users

My mom BF'd me and my younger brothers. (Not my older brother - culture was very different when he was born 15 years before me.)

For my younger brothers, it was even more of a struggle for her. They were twin preemies born at 25 weeks. She EP'd for them for the first 3 or 4 months until they were allowed to come home. And had super pumping powers - there was tons left that the NICU asked her to donate for other babies (she did). Then I can vividly remember her tandem nursing them at home. There's even pics of me pretending to tandem nurse my cabbage patch dolls! LOL
kermit4777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #176
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mom did bf me and my non adopted siblings.. not as long as I did but she's very supportive of it! Every time she sees a bfing mother she's always trying to feed them!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #177
jnno
Registered Users

My mama nursed me and my brother for 18 months each. She did have to work, so we got mostly formula while she was gone (something I actually just found out a few months ago), as the pumps were terrible - at least the one she could afford.

All five of my aunts breastfed their kids, so even though I have no memories of them actually doing it, I was raised in a pro-breastfeeding environment. One of my aunts is actually an LC.
jnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #178
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

My mom BF me, but she was the only one in her family or my dad's. They both come from big families, too, but none of my aunts BF. She also cloth diapered, but none of the others did.
Candy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #179
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom BF'd me and all 4 of my siblings, even with me and my twin, until we were about 2 years old. She also cloth diapered us with prefolds, using a diaper service. My DH and his two brothers were also BF'd until... 2, or 3? They were also cloth diapered. And we were all homeschooled... Yeah, we're pretty much peas in a pod.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #180
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no support to BF any of my children except from DH. Neither my mom nor my mother in law BF. No one in my family had done it and no one we know of in my husbands family. So you can imagine what was said when I did it. My grandfather in law was supportive though since he is older and frankly that is what they did in the early 1900's. He is also supportive of the no circ'ing and cloth diapering. But no other support there on any of those subjects. I am the odd ball of the family. But that's alright...Who wants to be a boring normal anyway!