Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_adkins05 View Post
i didnt know what formula was until i was in HS and a friend had a baby and asked me to make her a bottle i was like uh...ur boobs are attatched to you dude
Hahahahha, I didnt know about Formula either! lol

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, my Mom BF all 6 of us, but mostly until we got teeth. My sister Beth was the longest at 9 mo, and my oldest brother George was the least at 2 weeks (they moved then & were just married, so she weaned really early). My oldest brother is going to be 50 this January, so she did it when nursing wasn't cool. And both my sisters BF their kids, so I did see it with them. No formula in our family!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
srfbluemama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I think my mom wanted to bf me, but she couldn't because she had to have surgery to have lumps removed from her breasts right after I was born.

But she did bf my younger brother until he was about 6 months. The one person I have memories of bfing is my aunt--she bf'd my cousins, though I can't remember how long.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Mom bf myself and my siblings, and this was against the trends of her day. Her mother was a nurse and felt that only "poor" people bf. I giggle because my parents were poor when I was little!
Anyway, I saw a huge difference in my allergies and my cousin's (who was not bf). There's not a spot on the allergy board test that does not well up when he's tested. I have enough allergies as it is, and wanted to decrease the chance of my children getting them, so I bf my 2 LOs until 6 months. So far, neither LO has any allergies. Praise the Lord!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
MarchMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes she did! The only bottles in our house were for me and my 3 sisters dolls
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

Nope. My mom says that she tried to BF me, but I was FTT, so she switched to formula.
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #17
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely no one that I knew growing up breastfed. It was considered to be what *poor* people do. Probably accentuated by the fact that when I was about 4 or 5 I saw a lady that washed clothes for a living (by hand) that had her child in a backpack carrier while she was washing clothes cry out and she literally popped her b**b out and flipped it over her shoulder(think extremely long banana). The kid just grabbed a hold of it and was eating while mom continued to wash clothes. That was the only instance that I personally saw someone BF and it was creepy to say the least It wasn't until I got pregnant with The Kid that I started to research and made the decision to BF.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

My mom never breastfed any of us. She was very misinformed about it and decided to not even try. I was never exposed to it growing up and honestly when I was a teenager and before my mommy years, I thought it was kind of weird. Of course I became pregnant and immediately knew that I would breastfeed. It wasn't even an option. When I first had DD my mom would look at me like I was some weirdo and give me funny looks but she's totally fine with it now. I don't think it's weird at all and breastfed well past 2 years and am still breastfeeding my DS.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #19
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope, didn't even try as far as I know. The only reason I knew breastfeeding was an option is that my Aunt Darla breastfed her kids til they were about 2 Some day I'll tell her how much she inspired me
Before that, I don't think I'd ever seen ANYONE breastfeed their baby.
I do want to say, though, for all her faults my mom was reasonably supportive when I bf'ed my oldest. I just wish she had known more about it so I hadn't gotten scared into using formula by my doc. (He told me he saw "A lot of babies who get dehydrated because their moms are only breastfeeding them.")

Last edited by Apathy; 11-21-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

My grandmother bf my mom and aunt and uncle so my mom bf me untill I was 6 months old. She bf both my brothers, 6 and 5 months (they are still in elementary school) so I was really exposed then. I also remember my aunt bfing my younger cousin until he was a year old. So I was exposed to it from my family. When I was little I always bfed my babydolls and always thought it was the thing to do. When people asked if I was going to bf I looked at them crazy like their wasn't an alternative.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote