Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #31
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

my mom didnt bf me or my sister.. dh's mom didnt bf any of her 3 either. Which is her reason for why i shouldnt

i was never exposed to it... i've only known two people irl that breastfed and only ever saw 1 do it.

My mom wanted to breastfeed my sister (shes 14 years younger than me), but while she was in labor for 4 days, they had her watch some video, and she got to a part where they told her that her nips would crack and bleed and such, and she got terrified and refused to do it.

dh and i are very adamant about me breastfeeding this little one though, even though neither of us have ever been exposed to it.

ETA: her mom didnt bf her either.

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaToBe84; 11-21-2007 at 01:24 PM.
MamaToBe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #32
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newphillymomma View Post
My Mom BFed all 7 of us for 1 year. She also cloth diapered and had all natural births each time.

When Gabrielle wouldn't latch on my falt nipples my mom came to my rescue and woke up with me every few hours to fight with Gabrielle and my gargantuan breasts to help her latch. I was wondering around the house half naked with dripping boobs and my mom was there with me the whole way. She helped me so much. I am so extremely thankful.
my mom cd'd (all except #10 which she said was also the hardest to potty train) and had natural births too! off to post a s/o poll
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Yes she did.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #34
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup. Both me & my brother for approx. 18 months.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #35
uoducks
Registered Users

yep i was breastfed. I breastfeed cause it's natural and part of being a mammal is to nurse, and as so, it's what we are designed to do!

It's also wonderful that it provides health benefits too and allows a mother to truly sustain their baby.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #36
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

No. No one in my family breastfed before me either.

And Maddie and I are almost 17 months going strong
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #37
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

My brother and I are 18 months apart and we were both bf and cd'd. It was definately not the "in" thing to do in the 80's but I am glad she did. I was bf for 17months and Im not sure about my brother. My husband was not bf and his mom doesnt really see the importance of it and I sometimes feel like she resents my decision to bf (As if I am being a baby hog and the only reason I bf is so that she doesnt get to give the baby a bottle.....come on please )
My grandmother is very pro bf and always tells me how proud she is of my decision to bf. She is a little old country lady and has told me a million times "Cow's milk is for calves, human milk is for babies" I love her for all her support!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #38
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was born in 1971 my mom went back to work at 6 weeks i was "formula" fed.
can milk,karo and liquid vitamins.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #39
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. My mother was a little old to be a hippy, but still was in spirit. She had both my sister and myself naturally and then BF us both for a little over a year. She encouraged me to (although it wasn't even a question-who wants to get up in the middle of the night and fix a bottle?) and helped me through the tough beginning I had with DS. She kept telling me, "You have SOOO much more in the way of support and resources than I ever had." She thought the pumps and nipple shields and lactation nurses were just the coolest thing.
Oh, she also CD'd me, but decided to do sposies once my lil sis came along, but she was wet pailing it and using a lot of bleach. Oh, and she lived in Saudi Arabia at the time. (No I'm not Arab-Dad worked for an oil co) The whole desert thing might have slowed her down.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
mom2katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No. My mom never breastfed. She tried with my sister but was very misinformed about how the process worked and so she quickly switched to formula. I am proud to say that my dd nursed for 22 months. She weaned when I was about 8 weeks pregnant. Everyone in the family seems supportive on the surface but as soon as there are problems they say that we should switch to formula and didn't understand when I wanted to work through the problems. I also get the impression that they aren't so supportive behind our backs but oh well!