Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #81
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your mom breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Absolutely no one that I knew growing up breastfed. It was considered to be what *poor* people do. Probably accentuated by the fact that when I was about 4 or 5 I saw a lady that washed clothes for a living (by hand) that had her child in a backpack carrier while she was washing clothes cry out and she literally popped her b**b out and flipped it over her shoulder(think extremely long banana). The kid just grabbed a hold of it and was eating while mom continued to wash clothes. That was the only instance that I personally saw someone BF and it was creepy to say the least It wasn't until I got pregnant with The Kid that I started to research and made the decision to BF.
I just can't get this image out of my head ?!!
Surely you are joking ???
Is this humanly possible?

Advertisement

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #82
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope my Mom never did. She tried with my older brother, but got really sick and ended up with a breast abcess and she had no support. She didn't even try with me!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #83
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

another mama's post reminded me of this & shows how much we are influenced by our environment:

a friend from college (whose mother bf all her children) said that as a little girl she used to walk around with her doll stuffed under her shirt because the baby was hungry - too cute!

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #84
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
another mama's post reminded me of this & shows how much we are influenced by our environment:

a friend from college (whose mother bf all her children) said that as a little girl she used to walk around with her doll stuffed under her shirt because the baby was hungry - too cute!
LOL, thats what my DD does!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #85
swan771
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she BF each of us for a month or so and then gave up all 4 times. She said she was a horrible BF'r. She is really high strung, has a hard time relaxing, and resented being tied to a newborn so much of the day. I am 15 years younger than my youngest sib and I remember watching her crying while nursing him because of the intense afterbirth pains. I had a lot of issues with DS #1 but I am so proud of myself for sticking it out despite not having much support. This time around it has been a breeze and my mom asked me to plan to stay with my sister when she has her baby so I can help her breastfeed. My grandma didn't BF either.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #86
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, and she wishes she did. Her Dr's told her she was "too old" to breastfeed (she was 43 when she had me). This was 1971, I guess formula was the "tread" those days...
Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #87
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

My mom BFd and CDd my sister and I with no problems, in the 70s, and my Dad encouraged her. She struggled with both for my brother who came along 8 years later, (he had to be hospitalized and wouldn't tolerate CDs after that, and she couldn't seem to produce enough milk to satisfy him) and switched to formula and sposies. We all have allergies to some degree, but my brother suffers the worst by far.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #88
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was BF for a year, my younger brother for 3 months (he was a HUGE baby and she had trouble keeping an adequate supply after she went back to school.) My DH wasn't BF, but both his siblings were. My MIL was a college student when he was born and couldn't manage both. I guess pumping wasn't as sophisticated back then as it is now. Both have been very supportive of BFing, which is nice, as DS #1 weaned at 2 yrs old. DS#2 is 6almost 7 months old and going strong. Family support is wonderful!

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #89
Mama Arty
Registered Users
seller

My mom breastfed me for 3 months and my sister for 2 weeks. She isn't antibreastfeeding either, life just happened. And she grew up in a time and place where breastfeeding was still not the norm, so she probably didn't have a lot of good support or good info.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #90
debstmomy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Mom did BF us all for at least a few months, I think 6 months was the longest & that was my younger sister. Now my Grandma, she nursed her babies until they were 2!
debstmomy is offline   Reply With Quote